Portal Problems

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tar Guevara, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Tar Guevara

Tar Guevara Member Creative Architect

I'm aware that some players have had some problems with their atlas portal guns sucking them to the moon, but i believe that this problem has now spread to include stationary portal spawners as well.

I have a two portal spawners setup between my place and my quarry's location. It has been working flawlessly up until early this morning when i tried to use it from a night long mining escapade. It blew up and sucked everything within a 12+ block wide radius, including myself, and shot us whirling to the moon. Another player, Abdullah, witnessed these incidents.

It has taken me forever to build up to a quarry in this game only to see it vanish in a second. I lost a quarry, an mfsu, 6x electric engines, 12x standard solar panels, glass fibers, redstone energy conduits, an enderchest, miscellaneous transport pipes, a full mining backpack, a full inventory, nano armor, enchanted weapons, 60+ xps, and the list goes on.

Fortunately, i chose this small isolated island more than 4,000+ m away from my base. The defective portal is still active and can be found at the waypoint below:

x: -4991
    z: 5199
    y: 63

It will be awhile before i can build back up to a quarry and would like to know if there's a way to somehow be reimbursed either partially or in full for the parts mentioned above. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a photo of the damage and the defective portal. BTW, I slung a cobblestone from where i took this screenshot and it hurled towards the portal like a freaking bullet. So please be careful when trying to deactivate it. :)

Attached Files:

2. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I wonder if your in creative mode will it still kill you?

3. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

It could always be tested. I know that you can die in creative mode if you fall in the void below bedrock..... :s

4. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

I went to those coords and nothing is there

5. Abdullahj

Abdullahj Active Member

Ok, guys, something has been guilting me since I first saw a portal explode. I take some blame for the damage at the base near spawn last night. I used a single-portal portal gun on the wall. It exploded an hour later, I am sorry for all of the valuable materials lost in the 2 safes and crystal chest that were sucked into the vacuum of space.

6. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

7. Abdullahj

Abdullahj Active Member

Wait, the portal also led to Cybervic's home. I hope I did not break anything there <:C

8. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

I'll go ahead and clear all of this up. North wanted to go to the moon with his default portal gun, so he shot the orange portal at the moon. In the time between the first and second portals being shot, which was a period of about 15 seconds, the blue portal at the base at spawn was linked to the moon. Im not sure about the stationary ones, but I know that is what caused abdullah's issue. For future reference, if you EVER make/get a portal gun, customize it with pork or a potato, for the good of anybody who neglects to do that themselves, and for your own good.

A side note: This is NOBODIES FAULT. There should be no blaming anybody for what has happened, as it could not be foreseen. I'm saying this for North's sake, because somebody out there will try to assign blame, and it needs to be known now that it isn't his, or anybody else's, fault.

Dynodamon likes this.
  9. sioutdoors

sioutdoors Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Blame mage lol ...........

Dynodamon, Archenemy666 and A360P like this.
  10. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

Yep mage is the originator

11. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

D: Im talking about abdullah's issue

12. Abdullahj

Abdullahj Active Member

Hm... So, is there a way to get to the moon and survive? Or, can North just shoot two portals on the ground with the portal gun that he used on the moon Chell-vs.-Wheatley style?

13. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

Lawl someone has to continue the legacy of destroying the server with portal guns :p

AnnodynS likes this.
  14. Liasha

Liasha Member Creative Architect

If you happen to get sucked "to the moon" when you're in creative mode, it'll destroy everything in your inventory and teleport you up to y=400 where you'll be falling for a couple of minutes.

Not speaking from experience or anything; I've just seen videos of it.

But yeah, if you're going to leave portals open for any extended period of time, only do so with the bacon and potato guns.

Also, you can customize the colors of bacon/potato portal guns by opening up the PortalGun.cfg file in your FTB Ultimate install and changing the hexadecimal color codes in this part:

Code:
            # colour(Bacon/Potato)GunX
            # Custom bacon gun colour indexes (Google "hex color codes" if you don't understand)
            # Format: #<colour index> or 0x<colour index>
            # Eg: #ffffff or 0xffffff for white
            S:colourBaconGun1=#ffffff
            S:colourBaconGun2=#f8f8f8
            S:colourPotatoGun1=#909090
            S:colourPotatoGun2=#808080

# Boolean:
            # Does the bacon gun's portals have a custom colour?
            I:customBaconGunColour=1

# Boolean:
            # Does the potato gun's portals have a custom colour?
            I:customPotatoGunColour=1

Dynodamon likes this.
  15. CanOpenerTrooper

CanOpenerTrooper Well-Known Member VIP

you have frickin portal guns in FTB?!? Why don't I get the mod pack D:

16. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

I thought you already had it? Seriously, just get it, there s so much cool stuff in it.

17. CanOpenerTrooper

well..... I will get it but FTB is still in 1.4.7 D: I am not too familiar with FTB mod pack..

18. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

No one is familiar with the entire thing. and plus if you only used stuff that you were familiar with, how would you every get to try new things?

19. CanOpenerTrooper

My puny mind has just blown! Thanks you Zen Legend *bows*

And I was worried because of optifine and cam studio mod might have compatibility problems... those mods are more important right now.

20. A360P

A360P Well-Known Member Creative Architect

It uses a different client from your normal Minecraft, these mods will have no effect unless you manually add them to FTB via the launcher.