New town system suggestion.

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by kirederf60, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

both added

2. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

Got an area I can set up some examples?

3. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

I've used World Guard and set up 15 towns last year. Three were my own and averaged 30+ members each. Regions work great and I loved them, although you do have to have mods or admins add and remove members. (They have to have world guard permissions.) You can make subregions that are children of the parent region and specify exactly which flags you want .. i.e. mob spawning, pvp, etc. The main issue is that an admin has to add the members to the towns rather than the owners of the towns being able to specify who gets in.

There would be quite a bit of work involved for the staff if you had a lot of towns.. but if you built up the towns gradually.. as I once did, it's not bad at all. The main trouble is trying to establish plots for players. I used that grief prevention plugin to sub-divide the towns which allowed you to give players permission to only their plot. With World Guard, it's more complicated. But there are youtube vidoes on how to subdivide and then make players members of their plot. The towns I helped manage had to function on the honor system.. as no one wanted to mess with subdividing regions into plots (too much time and trouble) and admins used logblock to check if someone had griefed or stole. That person was kicked out of the town by removing him from the region.

The best thing about towny.. is that it is automated.Frankly, I never cared for towny as you say, because it's way too restrictive. Regions are very customizable. <3

As regards dying towns, I've seen the same dynamic happen again and again. There is all the excitement that comes with establishing a new town .. lots of new members.. lots of building. But once the building is done.. the members sort of go on to other projects. It seems to me that it's very very difficult to keep a town active and thriving ... unless the owner is on a lot and is constantly removing members who leave and adding new ones. The only time everyone seems to be on at the same time.. is during the development stage. This was the case both with Towny and with towns established with World Guard regions.

The problem of abandoned or dying cities happens because the members of most servers are constantly fluctuating. I've never seen a real cure for this. It had nothing to do with how you set up the towns. Just a bit of feedback that might help give you some perspective.

4. sharqman

/mvtp Oldspawn is a safe place

5. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

I may need to be teleported out as I'm in a world where I pretty much have no permissions :x
    EDIT: Don't know if anyone did anything but I can get out now.
    EDIT2: Also could you add XxExistancexX? It's my alt and I could use it to test permissions(by not being op).

6. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

Setting up examples of a town with parents, flags, priorities and region organising with world guard (no mctowns).
    Will have written books in chests to help explain it for when I'm not there.
    Leave any questions either in the world, pm or on this thread.

7. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

This isn't much of an issue as owners of a region can add/remove owners/members from the town region and its children plots. The only time there would be a need for an admin (things that mods can't do) would be for the creation of the town and making town expansions. Mods would be able to make town sub-regions used for making regions within a town.

While that may be true one of the main reasons I have seem dying towns is because of the hassle and trouble of making a towny town. Huge drain on money, huge resource dump, not much gain and thus the towns die and since they have those problems not many people make new ones.

And to add to that I feel that making a town should be profitable. Being able to make money from towns will make people more inclined to make them. Although I don't think there should be tax in towns or tax for towns. The only way to make money is either through player donations or the purchasing of plots. While this will cause a lot of towns to be established, only good towns will be successful in making profits as they will be most appealing as well as useful to new/hobo players.

AnnodynS likes this.
  8. k9katz

k9katz Member

Sharq.. If we happen to go to this system, then I'd like for you to take over the town if you wouldn't mind.. infact you could take it over now if you want since I haven't been online much lately (although atm assistants have pretty much all the power of mayor). But it's definitely obviously having an admin status, that you have, would be a better move for Serenity with this proposed system.

have a great day, k9

edit: I'm don't want to tether you to it though, If you had intentions of starting a new town, that's ok too :)

9. sharqman

the plugin I suggested wouldn't restrict the town management to admins :)

10. Veralian

Veralian New Member

i agree for the rpicing/taxes thats discourage new players from staying in a town(i mean, im not in a town and i survived) but still. i agree that towny is a bit sucky unless other plugin of the type such as factions.for region thing it would be awnsome to do it as listed.

11. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

Even without the plugin you suggested the town owners can still add/remove citizens, they just cannot create regions or sub regions, however they do not need to be created at the time of purchase by a player, all sub regions (plots for people to buy) would be free and will be done by mods or admins, these can be instructed with signs and outlines saying plot size and name (Certain naming will be made for better organisation) and just requested with a /modreq and be done when mods/admins have time. It is not a very hard thing to do.

12. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

That's perfect. I guess I didn't quite follow that. :) Great ideas!

13. AnnodynS

AnnodynS Guest

My understanding is that unless you give players permission to world guard which most survival servers don't do, then there is no way they could manage their towns with regions. Of course, as Sharq said the plugin should fix that issue. :)

14. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

While that may be the case on some servers, the server I came from and was admin on previous to being on shadecrest had this system working exactly as it is, you could only modify certain things in the region if you were the owner of said region, i.e. add/remove members/owners, certain flags like mob spawning (Not every flag will be changeable, like pvp)

Code:
    /region info
    worldguard.region.info.own (lets owners query their own regions)
    worldguard.region.info.member (lets members query their own regions)
    worldguard.region.info

/region addowner
    worldguard.region.addowner.own.*

/region removeowner
    worldguard.region.removeowner.own.*

/region addmember
    worldguard.region.addmember.own.*

/region removemember
    worldguard.region.removemember.own.*
    worldguard.region.removemember.member.*

/region list
    worldguard.region.list.own (lets owners see list of their regions)
    worldguard.region.list

/region flag
    worldguard.region.flag.regions.own.* (lets owners set the flags for their own regions)
    worldguard.region.flag.flags.<flag>.* for the given flag

These are the main permissions that allow for the system to function without the extra plugin (I may have missed some I'm not all that good with console stuff when it comes to plugins, the rest are here), I'm only really showing how to do it without the plugin because I haven't used/tested it to work and I do not know how to, so I can't say whether it works the way I had in mind for the system.

15. sharqman

We've decided to stick with towny for the time being. MCtowns doesn't work too well.

16. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

What part of MCtowns doesn't work well?
    Since most of it can be done without MCtowns.

17. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

I'm on my phone right now so I can't put a direct quote but moderndragoness made a few important points about mctowns.

18. sharqman

QuietSea likes this.
  19. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

Also, there weren't really any striking advantages, just that you can make a town 53x40x70 instead of 64xYx80

20. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

I was never really fond about the MCtowns suggestion for this as I felt it was unneeded as things protection wise is not very hard at all to do with WG which was my original suggestion. While it will be a pain and a lot of work converting to WG towns, as it would with any town system conversions, I do think we should use it as it makes it easier on mayors as they can have vertical limits as well as making non-square plots wherever within their town that they desire, so no need to use the 16x16 or 24x24 that towny uses for just a road to go between plots, you can do it however you want.
    It also allows for plot owners to modify their own plot (house plot) like give permissions to it and only that plot whereas towny gives access to all of their plots. And you can give building/digging jobs to town members very easily by adding them as a member of a plot you wish to work on.
    While I'm just repeating myself I just really dislike towny, I was helping design an underground town, it was horrible as every plot owner would be able to build on the surface and anywhere bellow that, so there was no real vertical freedom in terms of region permissions.

The only thing that is good about towny is the features that have nothing to do with protections, town chat, bank, /t online, /t spawn and so on. But we can just have a single towny plot in the middle of the WG protection for the purpose of those features as well as /town spawn, we don't need to use it for protections, if MCtowns could be used the same way I'm all for it.