New town system suggestion.

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by kirederf60, Apr 12, 2013.

1. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

So far I haven't really seen any reason why not to use my suggested town system that utilises a combination of towny for features like /t spawn, /t online etc and using World Guard for protection and from what I've heard is that there are other town plugins being suggested, I have seen this town system with world guard alone and no other plugin for towns and it works perfectly.

2. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

It just seems the flexibility of being able to use custom dimensions isn't really worth the effort. And you don't need to use towny plots to make use of towny, I know Sisu doesn't, and other towns probably don't too.

3. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

But the downside to doing that is letting every citizen have access to almost all of town, not a thing I would want for my town. And on top of that, I would want to sell plots, different sizes for different prices.
    Why use a plugin which has bad implementation which forces town owners to either have a crappy looking town due to chunk restrictions or have every player roam free in the town with build perms.

4. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

What is your solution to this? Other than towny, there's mctowns(crap) and factions(also crap). This thread has no direction if we just ramble on about how towny is bad.

5. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

My solution is World Guard, it has been World Guard for this entire thread, I never actually thought of using MCtowns and had never heard of it before this.

6. QuietSea

But doesn't that involve admins having to manually set up crap for every town and every time they would want to expand/add changes? Wouldn't that hold the server back if we're looking to get more players?

7. majestic_moose

If there are really areas which the mayor doesn't want players to build, aka town spawn, a simpler solution would just be setting up the spawn with world guard, instead of the whole town. If any town does require something special that world guard can offer, it'd be easier to just make it hybrid than solely World guard

8. QuietSea

9. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

My suggestion is for moderators to be able to do it as well and it doesn't take much work to do so. You set up a sign that says the dimensions as well as vertical dimensions and corners, make a modreq and then someone will get it done.
    Even when it is just admins, we barely had to do any modifying. The only time that there would be work longer than 15 minutes is either when a new town just sets up plots or a town with a new expansion.

But why use the towny protection at all? Just use it for the features since the protection is very bad and the World Guard is very good.

10. QuietSea

That involves giving moderators permission to world edit

11. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

Actually it doesn't, it just requires world guard permissions and the wand.
    These are some of them while I'm not all that experienced with permissions it was done on my previous server and it worked flawlessly, mods could select areas using the wand and could only define regions while not being able to use world edit commands.

12. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I vote World Guard!

13. majestic_moose

The only spot where world guard trumps towny is priorities/flags and more flexible borders.

Also, seems more effort to frequently expand the world guard regions. Can't claim it all at once because it'd be costly when you don't even know how many members will join, and probably don't have the money anyway

14. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

The idea is that they buy expansions in sizes that can be determined, i.e. 64x64s or 128x128s any lower seems silly to me.
    Just only expand when you need more space, mayors shouldn't buy land they don't need anyway. If they have 75% of their plots occupied buy more land.

15. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

How would payments work?

16. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

For expansions money would be handed to the admins (as admins would be the only ones to create expansions for towns).

17. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

So are you suggesting to use both towny for the town part, but to use worldguard for the land protections?

18. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

That is pretty much the idea as the towny does everything well except for protection and world guard is very good for protections.

19. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Surely the hassle of changing it all isn't worth it? We can still make the admin towns and start inviting by the time we would have changed all of this over?

20. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

In all honesty I think it is worth it as it is a pain in the ass using towny and my proposed system is very customisable for better towns and making it easier to do so.