What do you guys prefer?

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by QuietSea, May 16, 2013.

?

Keep towny or find a better town plugin?

1. Keep towny

50.0%
  2. Find new town plugin.

50.0%
  1. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

For a general idea of how many people would prefer a new plugin, please vote for what you think. And if you think we need a new town plugin, be sure to suggest a different plugin/system you know would work better. Don't say mctowns or factions because we already out ruled those.

2. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

World Guard, of course.

NMBr2d2 likes this.
  3. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

This seems to be the best route :)

4. Bpsoccer28

Bpsoccer28 Member VIP

I love towny, maybe its just me but change might scare people away

5. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

If you have ever tried to make a town, especially with vertical elements, it gets frustrating to use towny.
    And change is unavoidable and if things don't change (and this goes for just about everything not just towny) nothing will ever happen and the server may slowly die.

6. Bpsoccer28

Bpsoccer28 Member VIP

I feel ya, anything that helps making plots would be good! that gets really confusing for me

7. MelinaHites

MelinaHites Active Member VIP

residents... its been drastically improved since its inception.

QuietSea likes this.
  8. iiDreamzzHD

iiDreamzzHD Active Member VIP

I like towny because it's super simple to use and understand. But it is really buggy and outdated so i can see either perspective, I chose keep towny though.

9. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

Everything can seem simple if you know how to use it. From my perspective world guard towns can't be simpler, on the level of towny.

10. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

If we're still going to use towny for the t spawn, why don't we just make it you can choose either? If you just want to claim and don't care about having different protections on different y axis use towny, if not use world guard

11. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

That's because towny is very bad at making region protection, to be honest if it seems like such hard work, I can volunteer to do most if not all conversions if need be. I'm trying to suggest an upgrade for our town system because the current one sucks.
    And of course training anyone who wishes to learn about it or needs to learn about it i.e. other mods.

12. iiDreamzzHD

Yeah I know what you mean, I just like towny because it's a plugin that's designs for towns and towns only, whereas WG has a lot of different features that could make it confusing.

QuietSea likes this.
  13. majestic_moose

14. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

There aren't all that many new features at all and the only ones who need to learn them would be mayors and maybe assistants with of course the mods and admins. And a lot of of the features aren't very complicated at all.

As for having both, why would people go away from using towny? They don't know how to use the new one and can't be bothered. We could make an example town, have one of the new towns use the system or have one of the current ones convert to show how it works at first? Doing a partial crossover is a bad idea in my opinion.

15. iiDreamzzHD

I don't know I just think that a plugin that's designed for towns is the one we should use, but that's just me.

16. QuietSea

QuietSea Well-Known Member VIP

Well the poll is dramatically torn in two, which means a lot of people still want towny. Either find a better way to convince people otherwise or find a better system. And we're not going to just magically go with kirederf60's proposed system just because he thinks it's superior to towny. We need a general agreement.

17. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

It is designed for towns yes, it has good mechanics in terms of chat, bank, /t spawn, auto claim of land.
    But the only way for it to do the auto claim is to restrict you to a certain sized plot with the region going to both y limits and this is a horrible way to plot sizing. And the only real way around this of course is what many towns have done is to let citizens be able to build wherever the hell they want. And if I wanted to have some citizens work on a town project I'd have to either make it public or claim it and add those people as friends with towny which means they can build anywhere in all of my plots. Assistants have perms for all of the town, what if I wanted to give people "assistant" rank of just one section of the town? World guard works.
    We can keep all the other cool stuff and just use world guard for protection and there are plans in the future for world guard to provide purchasing of regions like a town plugin.

18. majestic_moose

For its advantages? If you want several plots in custom areas with different flags you'll use WG, if you just want to make a town without that you'll use towny.

We need towny for world guard towns to be more effective, so unless we delete towny, I'll be using towny and world guard any specific important regions

19. iiDreamzzHD

All those points are good, yeah. I just think when it comes down to it we should have a specific plugin for something that's such a large portion of the server.

20. kirederf60

kirederf60 Active Member

I was meaning that we should scrap the use of towny for any kind of protection entirely and just use it for its extra features.

Having a specific plugin for something shouldn't factor in choice of plugins, if some plugin is better at doing something than another while not being specific for that thing why should it matter? Just because towny is designed for towns if it sucks it sucks and other plugins do protection better, its only benefits is its extra features that don't have anything with protection.