How Did you Get Started with Minecraft/Shade Crest?

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by ndvenckus1, Aug 12, 2013.

1. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

I was just curious how everyone got started with the game, in several ways. I figured everyone could make a post answering a few basic things:

How were you introduced to the game?

What version did you start playing in, and what was different back then?

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today?

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it (feel free to include your Shade Crest stories, too, if you wish)?

I'll start. I was introduced the game by one of my IRL friends that some of you might know, _Flagellum. The first time he showed me it, he showed me a roller coaster, and I was confused as to what exactly you did in the game. After searching up the game, I found a YouTuber named paulsoaresjr, and started watching his "How to Survive and Thrive" series. This got me really interested in the game, and I finally made myself buy it. At this point, if memory serves right, I believe the game was in beta 1.3.

Today, I watch a ton of YouTubers, too many to keep constantly up-to-date with in fact, including EthoSlab, Docm77, Nebris, paulsoaresjr, Kurtjmac, and some guy named QuietSea.

I played on single player for a good while, had some of my most fun days in minecraft on there, exploring the various aspects of the game, and seeing what I could create and discover next. After a while, I discovered SMP, and after searching through minestatus and playing on a few servers, I finally found Shade Crest. It had an awesome community, and was super duper cool. I set base near Snowhaven, and after a few weeks I was invited to Arcadia by Jasperli.

I tried to summarize everything as best as I could, but don't feel obligated to make big long paragraphs (and feel free to make even bigger and longer paragraphs). Either way, share your story, the adventure starts here™.

2. Salmon's Journey.
    Context: Watching moose play the game.

Day 1. Salmon to moose: "WTF"
    Day 2. Salmon to moose: "Wtf is this shit"
    Day 5. Salmon to moose: "This game looks ridiculous why are you playing this"
    Day 9. Salmon to moose: "This game looks ridiculous why are you playing this"

Day 15. Salmon to moose: "I can't believe you're still playing this game, i don't understand whats so good about it"
    Day 18. Salmon to moose: "Wtf is that pink thing? It's a pig? Wtf it's not a pig it's a square!"
    Day 20. Salmon to moose: "Did you just... why did that... did that just... are those supposed to be...?

Day 25. Salmon to moose: "Wait so what exactly are you doing? Whats this game actually about?"
    Day 26. Salmon to moose: "So that house looking thing there, you made that? How interesting."

Moose joins a server around this time???

Day 30. Salmon to moose: "Wait so what exactly are you doing? Whats this game actually about?"
    Day 35. Salmon to moose: "Whoah whoah whoah, there are other people here too? You build with them?"
    Day 36. Salmon to moose: "Whoah they know your name! You can talk to them and stuff! Thats really cool"

Day 40. Salmon to moose: "Hmm i guess I can see how you can find it interesting"
    Bickering stops.

Day 40-50.

Moose to salmon: "Have a go"
    Salmon to moose: "Ok but i have no idea what i'm doing"
    Salmon: "Holy crap this is actually one huge world"
    Salmon: "Oh wow its got mountains and stuff"
    Salmon: "I can build on and manipulate a MOUNTAIN!?"
    Salmon: "Aww yeah just built a house"

Day 50.

Salmon to moose: "Yeah I was wrong this game is awesome."

3. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

Uuuuuh, ralk talked about it at school a lot, so I gave it a try, and after a month of convincing my dad let me get it 2 days before my birthday (December 19, or the day after MC went beta), so I played the game in the last version of alpha. Played single player for a while, was a complete noob, couldn't do anything. Took a huge break, mainly cause I got grounded for 4 months ._. and looked for multiplayer servers. First I was at mc.cloudcraftfun, which is now a VERY popular server (I think D: ). After a while, cloud craft lost funding, and I stopped playing again. Came back again for another multiplayer round, and I found shadecrest :) I started out by applying BEFORE I JOINED THE SERVER (woah) and I logged in at the dome face to face with none other then hihi in full diamond. I then went to the borders of snowhaven (just like everybody else who joined in July of 2011) and a made a rinkydink house out of wood. I played on the server into the first week of August,when I went to a place called Woodloch, where I currently am staying. At first I was Hrtbreken, as I wouldn't be able to play MC, but it turned out that one of my cousins had a laptop, and HE played minecraft! After visiting with my family I showed my cousins shadecrest on the same bed I'm laying on now (full circle). My cousins built a house right next to mine, and we lived in non-peace, as they both CONSTANTLY accused each other of hacking in local chat (I was very well versed in minecraft, as well as many of the plugins on shadecrest). After I left Woodloch that year, I saw almost nothing of my cousins, and lived completely alone, except for the occasional enemy at /warp gamehub. Bump forward about a month into September, and I was looking around for a town, because I realized I wasn't getting the full multiplayer experience. First somebody from some town or another tried to pick me up, and then they called me stupid for not having TS and not talking to people I didn't know (rather ironic isn't it). Then after another hour or so, a really nice guy named _RYO_ asked me if I wanted to join HIS town, and I was happy, because it felt like the town needed me, not just to be a filled plot and some collected taxes (#waveridge). So I took all my belongings (one inventory worth) and went to DragonForge. I'd not been in the town for 5 minutes when Champcar killed me. I exploded into a ton of valuables and he was told by _RYO_ that I was touring the town, and everybody proceeded to give me my stuff back. At this point I realized that this was a good place for me. Just after the Champcar incident _RYO_ introduced me to his friend Ellexx, who helped to set me up with a plot. After about 5 minutes I had constructed the ugliest ass house out of wood planks, logs, glass, and lit netherrack. This is the house that I am most well know for, and many people will tell you that it was the ugliest square they had ever seen. At first it was just the top part, with about 4 chests filled with all my stuff, but after about a week, I realized that I was going to need ALOT more space. I (being the experienced minecrafter I was) dug straight down until I found a cave under my plot! I was ecstatic and explored it, and saw that it branched into almost all of my sector of DragonForge. I distinctly remember finding a vein of gold RIGHT before somebody's plot that I could not destroy in. After I had fully explored the entirety of the cave, I went back to the town spawn and realized I had a BIT of an issue, that being I could not get down :( I dropped a bucket of water and swam down to the bottom, again realizing I had a small issue. I went back to the town spawn yet again and picked up the water, and swam down the 1x1 hole with it as it fell. At the bottom, I placed the water, giving myself a safe drop all the way at bedrock, and this is where I started my REAL base. It wasn't very open, but every single possible opening was taken with by a chest, or the air block that was required above the chest. After the first raid I experienced, I realized that I would need some way to keep people away from my unlocked chests. I placed an iron door, and added a REALLY REALLY REALLY bad "hidden" piston door that opened up the floor to the shaft that ended in water. At the bottom I placed a sticky piston that extended when a lever was pulled, so that anybody who happened to follow me down the hole would either fall to their death above the block, drown under the block, or suffocate IN the block. Taking a step back from the whole "flame-roof ugly house", I met LOTS of really nice people, about 95% of which are now either banned or don't come on anymore. I suppose I will list them off, and tell you a bit about them from my interaction with them (if you don't like how I describe these people, too damn bad, this is MY memory, not yours). First up is _RYO_, who was basically a mentor figure for me when I first joined DragonForge. He handled himself very calmly, he was able to deal with all the problems that mayorship threw at him, and kept his town looking good (most of the time) and with an active community. He was there until what I see as the final downfall of DragonForge, and was always really kind and helpful when it was needed most. Next is Ellexx, who I met during my first day in DF, and who set me up with my plot. At first, he was really nice and all, but that all changed with time (Dun Dun DUUUUUUUN!). He was still a pretty nice guy, but he was too good at pvp, so much so that he just killed everybody that he saw, town mates with nothing on them included. Next up is Robinhood75, one of my bestest buddies on the server evar. When I first joined DF, his plot was pretty close to mine, and he was at the same point I was, just putting the foundation of his house down.

4. AQTguy

AQTguy Member

Well I was introduced to minecraft by some friends from school about 1 year ago. And I just started to
    Listen to their conversations most of had told me to try it out so i did and once i started playing on the trial version i was hooked. So later maybe a month or so i bought the game telling my dad that my geography teacher said this game was educational, and she did by the way.*FLASH BACK* it was 1st period we were talking bout land forms mr/ or mrs blah blah the teacher said her son, whos 40, so u can imagine how old he or she is, told us there was an educational game so she looked up some youtube vids and she got one with a huge earth model and the MC player went inside the world and it said F**** You the whole class went wild *TO PRESENT* so you can imagine why I looked more into it XD well after tht session my friend Gurhrie u guys know him in game as gugu3 actually kept bugging me to get well he was already playing MC for like 4 yrs so when I got it i played every second i could ( btw i got my name becuz i had an old math teacher and she gave a a scramble wksht and i unscrambled it and it said acute-AQT xp) well i started playing on servers when i first saw a guy named wats it called again oh yah CaptainSparkelz and their first huge survival game. So I look up their server i start playing and i see that it is way more funner (yah I said funner) to play with more people well by tht time i had already started playing MC for about 2months so then i get my friend ZombieEclipse2 u may see him in SC from time to time to start playing and he watched me play and he got hooked cuz he saw me battling or pvping a guy yah u know him CaptianSparkles in xrpmx's server and he started playing well once he started i really wanted a gr8 survival server like i saw on youtube to play on and well I scroll down the list and well I find shadecrest.survival.com well i click it play a little and well I loved it every second of it i was a guest for i dont even know how long at least more then a month so i only played with my friends on sc meaning Zomb2 and retracto8571, who i later got him to play on SC with gugu3, and well once they stopped playing for a while i had no one to talk too so i start walking (oh yah by this time me and retracto thought tht majestic_moose was the server owner XD and could destroy us at anytime) so when I was all bored and alone by myself i started chatting first time i ever chatted it was with only two girls those gurlz were green names their names were CloverGreen_ and Maddie_green so they start talking and Clo asks mads if she would go on a MC date well i was cracking up by then so i ask mads myself and Mads is creeped out and Clo chats facepalm and i start cracking up again and that was when my chatting days began so after wards maybe an hours yet i meet a gurl named Melina_Hites and well she was only like a VIP IV back then and I asked her why everyone's name were different colors and she replied becuz so and so is a mod, etc. I said arent mods like. Those things u download to make MC pertty she laughed so hard she said no its short for moderator so by this point i meet my first mod that mod was archenemy well i start using capz not knowing it was against the rulez so i start babbling in capz to Bpsoccer (you guys still remember him) cuz beasts imma a noob and (thts when Bp and my friendship begin) well anyways i didn't know wat i was doing wrong so arch keeps kicking me and I didn't know why until he says last warning well i got really nervous/scared cuz i didn't know why we'll after tht i apologized and i kept asking arch if i was his friend (i was being annoying :) sorry about that arch) and he told me to become a member so i try and i get my application and i got into SC on my first try. And thts how my MC story started btw i haven't played any other servers on MC basically since then XD

Hope it wasn't toooooo long-

AQT

5. Padaun

Padaun Well-Known Member VIP

There was a guy

And he told me about this fantabulous game he called "Mindcraft", his explanation being the goal of the game was to mine and collect blocks... Sounded pretty boring to me.

-ONE MONTH LATOR-

Mid December 2010
    Sees brother playing a very cubular game with a friend whom he was talking to over Skype...
    he has to go
    what a shame
    Immediately get on
    completely hooked
    play

March 16, 2011
    wonder if there's multiplayer
    minestatus.com
    Scroll 9001 pages back
    see a lone little server
    name is shadecrest.
    get on website
    apply

March 17, 2011
    get on
    In Snow Haven
    First peaceful town
    thus my fail-ridden shadecrest career begins
    with mornings where nobody is on
    would sing in the shoutbox
    so few people ever got on it was funny
    oh nostalgia

6. Padaun

Padaun Well-Known Member VIP

hell, I just realized how much I formatted that like a greentext post in 4chan

ndvenckus1 likes this.
  7. ndvenckus1

I'm really enjoying these, keep 'em coming everyone :)

8. AQTguy

AQTguy Member

:p i forgot I started maybe somewhere in the 1.4.? Or 1.3.? Or something like tht i dont really remember :p

I've only been playing on MC for maybe 6-8 months now :p

9. North_Korean

North_Korean Active Member VIP

I got it first day of alpha. I knew about it while in indev. Played single player till friends in another game were like oh hey dudez lets go on kultiplayer so and so has a server. I came along eventually stumbling on shadecrest while surfing mcstatus so I hop on june 27 2011. At the time we were grey list but there was no app just sat in game waiting for max blat or yard to promote you. I joined arcadia cause zero convinced me that exile was terrible. I even told millz exile was ugly before seeing it. XD I left arcadia about 7 days later joining DF Darknoodle was mayor and we were geting stuff done. I eventually got on our vent. Yes we had a vent. Talked to the first guy I saw being Slebert. I eventually met all the canadians became GREAT friends and well there is alot more personal history maybe one day if I am feeling dark shadowy detectivy and have a proprr keybored ill write a thriller detective story loosely based on my shadecrest story.

10. InvaderZar

InvaderZar Member

How were you introduced to the game? I've know about minecraft forever...I used to watch Skitscape back in the "Alex" days, and thought it was the neatest little game ever. Then I really got hooked when Tobuscus started playing it. Then I decided I was goign to get my father to buy it for me. Took literally a year before I could get him to buy it. I kept up with every version, every update, every video...then it was finally mine...

What version did you start playing in?
    Please don't call me a noob, because I knew more about the game than most YouTubers did...but I started about two weeks before the massive 1.3 update, adding temples and emeralds, and also too many bugs to count.

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today? The first minecraft YouTuber I watched religiously was Tobuscus. Then when I found out there was better quality stuff out there...I began to delve deeper into Skitscape and Fawdz, who still remain to this day my favorite minecraft youtubers. But I'm going to try and list everyone I watch now...
    Antvenom, Captainsparklez, Skitscpae, Fawdz, Cavemanfilms, Sethbling, Skydoesminecraft, Ethoslab, Docm77, PauseUnpause, VintageBeef, Baj, Bigbadmanpig, Einshine, ASFJerome, Tobuscus, Bodil40, Deadlox, MinecraftUniverse, Slamacow, BDoubleO, ZexyZek, DigBuildLive...have I forgotten anyone? And this one weird guy named QuietSea or something.

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it? I had a friend a while ago who had a really annoying little sister who played MineCraft. She always begged me to play with her, until one time I finally agreed. She had written down a ton of servers and we went around checking them all out, until we came to one called "Shadecrest". Take in mind, I joined when we had the EHM plugins. *shudder* So we messed around on here for a while, and I really liked it. She wanted to leave, but I stayed and applied the first time...but didn't read the guide at all. :D Lazy me! So I finally became a member, fit right in, started a town with my new found friends called Darkwater, got introduced to Arch because Spellbound neighboured us, and now I can call the server my home. :3 Love you all <3
    --

Dman2416 likes this.
  11. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

That's weird, I didn't know you guys watched that guy QuietPea too. One of his videos was actually the first Minecraft video I ever saw xD

12. stlnaturals

stlnaturals Member VIP

Well I actually started on xbox. I didn't know their was even a PC version until my friend told me about it. So I bought it played singleplayer for a while then me being a big creative person at the time searched minecraft creative ranks servers because I like servers with ranks anyways I looked for a good server couldn't find one but I came across Shadecrest. It was the first server on my multiplayer screen and still is do this day. :D I believe i started watching Keralis and Shiftmaster and Jamziboyminecaft first

13. Kingofall2

Kingofall2 Member

How were you introduced to the game?
    I originally had only heard of Minecraft rumored from a dozen people back when it was gaining popularity during 2011, which eventually grew to be every other person I would later come to encounter. Curiosity became an influence so I decided to check it out and began playing the free version of MC for several months. After having mentioned it in the past, a good mutual friend of mine had became bored with the full version and offered to share his account details with me - the account being Kingofall2 (no longer in use).

After a week of playing premium single player, I was ready to venture an online community.
    I had originally found a different server, but had lost the address after 2 days. A short while later, while searching I found a youtube video by iiDreamz advertising the server. I played for about a week, then lost the address - Again, yes I know - so I quit for awhile, then decided to give it another shot. Surprisingly I got lucky while searching a server list site and ShadeCrest rang a familiar result, since then I've been around off and on the past two years.

I joined on July 11th, 2011.

14. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

I started watching n listening to my ex bf bout this game n was like okie uh huh yea thats great,while listening to him,then while at his house I watched him play it n I was like omg this looks like fun,must buy it so I spent the $15 bucks n began playing with my ex n his friends on his friends local server...I loved it,well one day his friend took it down so I was left with either singleplayer or to search along time on planetminectaft,so I did n ran across SC n was like ohhh wow this seems like a good server,read further down on the page n saw archys vendetta pic n was like omg hot damn cuzz I really like that movie...so I joined n first person to help me out is archy n I felt so happy that I started chasing him around n annoyed the crap outta him...so thats how I came to SC lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

15. Beocca

Beocca Member VIP

I had known about it for a while but the brief glances i had seen of "that block game" had failed to spark my interest due to the graphics mainly. Sitting around my computer bored one day i had bought terraria, had a blast with it and in my searching around for more info I saw ppl comparing it to mc a lot.

Sitting around my computer a few days later bored yet again... I decide to youtube minecraft stuff, as expected its mostly all crap movies and other things which i did not understand (redstone). But as i was gonna go play more warcraft i noticed a odd name and decided to try one last video. It was a big statue of a man bent over and would poop when triggered.... That was all I needed to see to know that THIS was the game for me! lol....

I bumbled around in single player for 45 min or so, i had a base far off and didnt know about death and beds. :( So when i died I went back to spawn and never was able to find it again lol.

I decided that playing with ppl would be much better and after 2 bad servers I decided to read about them before joining. My deciding factor for shadecrest was its complete lack of negative feedback on the comments section, vs the never ending stream of negative comments on like every single other server ;)

Never looked back since!

thechooosen1 and Z_Millla like this.
  16. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

My story takes place one month before Salmon's, and is pretty much exactly the same as his, except it was me to my cousin. He played minecraft a bunch while over at my house, and after he left to go back to boarding school for the term, I guessed the password of his account, and set off to find a server. My only requirement being I didn't have to walk too far to build :p

When he came back on the holidays, he saw Shade Crest and how awesome it was, so wanted to play too, so for a couple weeks we both played on the same account, not knowing where on earth I was when I logged in or who that person was that seemed to know me.

Another few months forward and I got promoted, didn't want my cousin messing with things, and so wicked_walrus was born.

17. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

How were you introduced to the game? My friends all played it, so I had to start. I got hooked in about an hour. Eventually, I had a whopping 10 diamonds + full set of diamond tools and thought I was done with that game. I went into SMP to see what it offered, and I realized there is a lot more. Something called the nether...

What version did you start playing in? Beta 1.4, I remember people freaking out about shears and hating how punching sheep didn't give wool anymore :p Not sure if that was beta 1.4, but that's what I remember :mad:

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today? I didn't like any of the minecraft youtubers until I discovered Sethbling, EthosLab, CodeCrafted, Xisuma, the redstoners in general.

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it? I found it on minestatus. I stayed because the adminshop was right under the stairs of the giant water sphere (older players you know what I'm talking about). I thought I had discovered something that no one knew about, so I stayed, thinking that I was special :p
    I built like 5 ugly houses and gathered resources. I got rich buy buying/selling slimeballs, amassing a decent amount of wealth, and building the PieCastle. The server reset, Pie was sad, then she built her house, and is in the process of building a second house.

Grimmjow likes this.
  18. ndvenckus1

Just expanded on the questions a little bit if any of you wish to expand on your answers :p And I'm currently making a huge expansion on my post, and I know NMB is too, if any of you want to jump on that trend.

19. AQTguy

AQTguy Member

Kk! I dont know if i can expand! XD

20. CanOpenerTrooper

CanOpenerTrooper Well-Known Member VIP

How were you introduced to the game?: Well, I first started hearing about it on Youtube. I would watch some real old school alpha "let's plays" all night long. It took me over a year to get it though (I wish I got it sooner). At first I spent my time making what I think is; the best roller coaster ever created!

What version did you start playing in? I started playing in 1.2.4 (newbie, I know) Although I have knows about it since 2011.

Who was the first Minecraft YouTuber/Which was the first Minecraft series you watched (if any) and when did you start watching it? What do you watch today? I first started watching some Irish youtuber. I don't remember his name but he had the most popular let's plays out..... EVER! Then I saw Chimneyswift11. I really liked his "Minecraft Files" series. I watched that for a good 2 years.
    Now-a-days I mostly watch QuietSea, BebopVox, BajanCanadian, Slamacow, CaptainSparkelz, and xrpmx13

When did you start playing on Shade Crest and how did you come to find it? Well, After I got bored with building in Single player I ventured out into the Multiplayer world. I googled "Minecraft Creative Servers" and ShadeCrest popped up. I joined it and within a month I was hooked. No other server since that day has been this great. imaxorz has created a real treasure here.