Hexxblade's Ban Appeal

Discussion in 'Ban Appeals' started by Hexxblade, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Hexxblade

Hexxblade New Member

What is your IGN?
    Hexxblade

Who banned you?
    trukklob

Why were you banned?
    You have been banned from this server for sexual harrassment of a female player (truk)

When were you banned?
    Wednesday, 2 of October 2013

How long is your ban?
    N/A (sioutdoors grammar was not nearly up to par so I was not entirely sure what he was saying)

Can you explain what you know about the ban in more detail?
    "hexxblade came, on kept to himself" Was talking to _RussianPanda_ via gamevox, making jokes and generally acting silly.
    "then outta the blue he asks me and I quote " hey skittles have I ever sexually harassed you""
    I tend to think before I say things, unforunately I have fallen victim to lapses of judgment due to the anonymity of the internet and although I really should've thought this through and for this I am sorry.

"I just made a straight face :l then he asks can I be inside you,with him saying pandas tellin hex to stop being creepy,then he says nuffin will stop him from being inside you(me)." I had hope that these points would be taken with some sense of humor as at that point I was just standing near her with my minecraft character, I assume from the way she explains it it sounds a lot more harsh than it is and from a perspective in which a 3rd party may view this it would be confusing and immeadiately you would want to take the side of the girl. In real life I can be quite erratic but I understand that this does not excuse my conduct on minecraft and the wider internet.

"Then he keeps going adding in vagina and I'm just acting like I'm tired n not paying attention"

I figured that she had decided at that point to report me as it was quite clear she was angry, I had actually stopped referring to her during the following but I see how it could have been taken the wrong way.

"then hex makes lil penis emotes 6 times with ozzia telling him to chill. After that he said he was stoned n I said that figures,I leave his fate in the admins hands"
    Basically I continue to clarify that this was not at all directed to her and instead _RussianPanda_ and I understand how that might be weird to people who were not in the conversation. Also there was a reasonable amount of time between the first screenshot and the second screenshot and by this point the conversation with her (in my mind) tapered off though I cannot describe emoticons to Panda I used the simpler method of typing said emoticons and it was only afterwards I realised my mistake and needed to clarify. Again I am sorry for any misunderstanding that must have been caused by this.

Why should you be unbanned?
    I understand that I need to be punished but I also understand that a punishment should be befitting of the crime. Much like a theif should have his hands cut off, a spy should have his eyes gouged out I believe that as a person who has spoken obscenities my tongue should be removed. In this manner a short ban followed by a permanent mute which makes sense as this would allow me to build but not allow me to speak and annoy/ offend others.
    Apology
    Again I sincerely apologise to Skittles as I did not wish to to offend you. I am also sorry to the admins which have been involved and inconvenienced by this trivial matter. I hope that we can move past this and continue what we all enjoy on the shade crest creative server and that is the simple pleasure of building.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  2. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Apology accepted

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

3. Hexxblade

Hexxblade New Member

Thank you for your forgiveness I hope that the admins may also give me some kind of a second chance.

4. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

Hexxblade, three things: First, you admitted in your first thread reply that the language was "satirically" directed at Skittles, while claiming in the second reply that the language was directed at panda... lies? Second, language like that that does not require a warning, as you were warned via the signs when you joined the server that it could be a bannable offence. Finally, even if the language was not directed towards a female player, it is inappropriate nonetheless.

"Satire": the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
    "What you did": sexual harassment.

Your rambling explanation doesn't clarify for me what happened, and ultimately doesn't matter much, as the subject matter of your outburst is bannable on it's own anyways. It is clear to me just from the screenshots what your intentions were, and it must have been clear to Skittles as well, as she obviously felt uncomfortable enough to report you. "Falling victim to lapses of judgment due to the anonymity of the internet" is a fancy way of saying that you are immature, and admitting to possible drug use while involved in this situation doesn't exactly help your case. If you had "emoted" like that in public or in a school environment, believe me you would have been in much more trouble than just receiving a server ban (depending on your age, you may have even faced criminal liability). Actions have consequences, and in my opinion, a server ban is a small price to pay to learn the value of using more precautionary actions and words during general internet traversal. I am just as anonymous on the server as you are, but in the year that I have been interacting here, I have never even jokingly used profanity, much less anything as vulgar as what you said. I may not be on as much as I used to be, but I have come to respect the relatively family-friendly nature of Shadecrest too much to let players like you slide.

I may reconsider this in the future, but for now a permanent ban seems most appropriate. Permanent mute is a light punishment, and would still allow you to communicate in-game via signs which is much harder to address.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    DeeeezNutz and Dynodamon like this.
  5. trukklob

Also... siout's grammar is lovely. Taking pot-shots at admins in a ban appeal while claiming victim status is a red flag for me personally.

>_>

DeeeezNutz and Ksapple107 like this.
  6. Hexxblade

Hexxblade New Member

It didn't make sense when he commented within the previous thread (it was quite unclear), at the very least there needed to be a comma. Also by short sentence I meant something in the vicinity of 2-3 months as that would be comparably short to a permanent ban. In terms of the emote thing for the most part at school or in public it is not exactly punishable offence and people would tend to disregard it as immature as opposed to being a sexual deviant. Also the term stoned where I live is not always used as a term for drug use but also instead a term for being quite tired slang differs from place to place. Also I never asked for this to be let slide rather it be more a sort of trial for which a more correct punishment can be devised as opposed to the easier decsion of making it permanent. I was trying not to play the victim card and I really hope it did not come off as that, because skittles was the victim and I am just some dumbass who was just being a little too inappropriate for the server.
    Hopefully this has shown you that I do care about this server enough to have written this and although I understand you are simply doing your job I wish that you will be able to forgive me at some point in time. I may not be for quite a few weeks but I whole heartedly wish that you do accept this for what it is and not think it's some arrogant douchebag wanting to come back on the day after tomorrow.

Also if you wish to look further into the anonymity issue:
    http://www.csl.mtu.edu/cs6461/www/Reading/Davenport02.pdf

7. trukklob

Lets give it at least two weeks... if or when you do rejoin, you will be on a first and final warning for that type of behavior. Any further infractions after that will lead to a permanent ban, regardless of your stated intentions. Use the time you have away from the game to reconsider the way you interact online. Advertising for another server is an annoying (albeit harmless) violation of the rules, but using sexually explicit or derogatory language towards any other player regardless of intention is beyond the pale. Believe me, I understand poor judgment and impulsive behavior better than anyone, but such behavior must be met with swift and fair punishment lest it continue. This server, and the use of the internet in general is a privilege, not a right, and should not be taken so lightly.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    Flamestar00 and DeeeezNutz like this.
  8. Hexxblade

Hexxblade New Member

Thank you for you consideration trukklob, I will use the time you have Given to reflect and affirm the error of my ways. Once again I am sincerely thankful and I hope I can repair any damage that I have made.

9. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

be sure to watch enough My Little Pony.

10. Hexxblade

Hexxblade New Member

I will be sure to do so.

11. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

I personally feel that there is no excuse for that sort of harassment, especially considering that you have no idea what age players are. Also considering the fact that females probably already feel like a minority in gaming circles, such language can only make them feel even less welcome and just plain creeped out.

12. Padaun

Padaun Well-Known Member VIP

Even though I ought not to be posting here, I tend to agree with Stephen in that this isn't the sort of thing you get away with, even if you do get temp banned. It honestly doesn't matter whether it was joking or not- it obviously was over text chat an couldn't be told apart from being serious, and he should've taken the hint that Skittles and Panda weren't receiving it well. I mean, what were you thinking? What possessed you to up and say that? Imagine the consequences were you to do it in a public place in reality, as ShadeCrest is public. Arrested is my guess, and regarding the first quote, short compared to a temp ban would be years, honestly- perma ban entails forever.

Just my two cents

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
    Flamestar00, trukklob and sharqman like this.