[Guide] Moose's guide to running a shop

Discussion in 'Survival Guides and Tutorials' started by majestic_moose, Nov 15, 2013.

1. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

There's a lot of new shops/shop owners recently who might find some info in this thread useful. If you have any queries about something, feel free to ask

Some other tips:
    • Get your shop in the Player Shop Directory - app thread here
    • Link your shop thread in your signature
      • If you use a URL shortener like goo.gl you can see how many times it's used
    • Make sure to let me know about your shop too, I've got a list of shops at my shop

StephenP67 likes this.
  2. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

How do you go abouts finding what exactly to sell? Also if the shop looks nice does that contribute to people coming and buying etc...?

3. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

A mix of what I had accumulated as I played, and what I think people might want/what people complain about me not having. It's why you'll find that I don't have things like end stone. I rarely ever go to the end, and I don't see it as being something more than a handful of people want. Other things like items crafted with only one type of item (stairs, ladders, fences, etc) I leave out because I sell the items needed to make them. Also, to stock 10 different wooden items means less normal wood I have to sell.

As for shop aesthetics, there are more important things. If you remember /warp bb, it was very barebones, but had pretty much every item and a decent layout. This also allows flexibility, since as more items are added, you don't need to worry about ruining the style you have going. As for whether or not it makes a difference, I'm not too sure. When I did shop, I mainly went to /warp bb for most things, except for where other things were cheaper.

Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, it was sort of rushed.

On another note, try offer additional services. A lot of people go to /warp emporium for the mob spawner. When people are going there a lot, they're more likely to actually use the shop, and recommend the shop when someone asks for a shop.