Proficient grammar and entertainment.

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by epic_poke8, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Navarog

Navarog Well-Known Member

TIL stereotypical British talk is most proper

Flamestar00 likes this.
  2. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Everyone, EVERYONE! Please mind your manners! Can't we all just have a respectable chat instead of going for eachother's throats like animals? Stop acting so uncouth!

Flamestar00 likes this.
  3. Flamestar00

Flamestar00 Active Member VIP

I was only going at the maker of that unmentionable thread's throat out of defence to proper and righteous English.

Wow this thread is fun...

4. DeeeezNutz

DeeeezNutz Member

The language of our forefathers held a degree of sophistication our current generation is lacking in.

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.
  5. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

The language of the other century was quite flowery, there is a reason it's changed. You all mistake Shakespearean English for proper English, and indeed seem to uphold it as the very pinnacle of language. Proper English is nothing more than clearly speaking (Or typing if you would prefer).

You would do well to take note that even though I am using what can be defined as proper language, I am not reducing myself to a high school report on Elizabethan times. To define that time as the golden age of the English is to forget Democracy and women's' rights, take care not to romanticize the past.

PieSquared761 likes this.
  6. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

You are correct good sir, but indubitably everything sounds better in a sophisticated british accent

Flamestar00 and kmpurplekat like this.
  7. DeeeezNutz

DeeeezNutz Member

I say that implying that our forefathers involved people such as George Washington or Benjamin Franklin, I understand that Shakespeare was a poet and wrote in such a fashion that was not spoken during his time.

8. epic_poke8

The gent had literally, conceived the word "swagger".

9. Flamestar00

Well that is of no concern to me. After all in Tudor times no man spelt every word the same! It was only when King James bible was written was when spelling became standardised.

10. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Anglophiles will always say that they "<3" an English accent, but many of them stumble when they are asked in return "Which English accent?"; that is to say, England has as diverse an array of accents as the Americas have.

And in return to Flamestar.

Is that why Americans changed every s to a z, then went on to forget the letter u?

11. epic_poke8

No, my good man. We, in the United States, prefer to get the job done without putting in much effort, and, consequently, our language has taken a toll, and now, it is lazy as well. Also, it may have been affected of being about an ocean apart from our father country. (Most probably the latter! *Aristocratic laugh*)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  12. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

No, that was Webster's spelling reform when he decided to write a dictionary.

13. Flamestar00

I guess Americans wish to preserve medieval customs (or they are just really lazy)...

14. epic_poke8

As I had stated earlier in the discussion, the latter.