Since my appeal was locked so quickly

Discussion in 'Requests and Reports' started by North_Korean, Feb 18, 2014.

1. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

Here's my opinion:
    • Staff members may face repercussions regardless of the server. You're not promoted for your actions strictly on Shade Crest; you're promoted for a number of combined traits that define you as a person. Your actions, no matter the location, reveal your true self. We want an individual who has a truly fit character, not someone who puts on an act while he/she is on Shade Crest.
    • Your actions, if found out, may very well affect perception people have on you no matter where they take place, and may affect decisions made about you. If you go mass griefing on another server, don't expect to become a staff member.
    • Now, whether you should be punished for your actions on another server is a tough one. If you go to another server and cause trouble, your names can very easily be put through a google search, and no doubt Shade Crest forums will come up as the first result. That's not good for our image. If you use an alt, cause all the trouble you like on random servers if you really must. But when it comes to going as a group onto another server, using the same accounts you use for SC, and wreaking havoc, I'm not sure I can say the same. With an individual, someone can't really blame SC for your actions; you're one person. But a group of you have the ability to create a bad perception of our server. In the case of cano's server, he did essentially set himself up for failure through failed configuration of plugins and poor decisions, but taking advantage of this is something that staff members especially should stay away from, and where members should know better.
    In conclusion: Staff should act like role models across all servers. For all members, impression of you is subject to change through your actions anywhere (it's the nature of impressions). When one or two people go and cause trouble somewhere (if that's what you must do), then so be it. But when a group of our members create some scandal on another server, that's another matter.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

I'm seeing a lot about repercussions, and the only repercussions I'm seeing are the perpetrators being punished.

3. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

How about we just not do stupid crap?

hywzerboydy, QuietSea and bobbylou4 like this.
  4. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Forgive me for not quite understanding, but isn't that the idea? People who do the wrong thing are the ones being punished?

5. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

He's also talking about things happening if we did what we did. Nothing happened.

6. Legend9468

I think he's trying to make a set of standards, incase we go through a situation like this yet again. Trying to remove any "grey area" in our rules.

7. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Once again if you didnt see ndv
    The thing is of me being under the flag of shadecrest, shadecrest is one of many servers i play on. So me screwing around a canos server mean that i should be banned from mineswine, shotbow, the hive, korky's server, and even my own server that me and slebert run?

8. Legend9468

And in response to Rem.

It depends on how the staff of the other servers view it. If it were a group of players from mineswine, shotbow, the hive, korky's server, and even your own server that you and slebert run, then maybe.

And to reaffirm what Ndv said. His suggested rules are to cover the situation next time a group of people go out to another server. He's suggesting it as a result of the incident, but not in relation to it; he didn't even mention it until the end.

9. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

Also we were not anyway directly related to Shadecrest as we all used alternate accounts

10. Legend9468

Then how did Can know who you were?

11. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I haven't seen many mod applications that have been affected positively or negatively by actions on another server. If we see a new player with a history of griefing bans, we are weary and watch them more closely. For established players that positively contribute to Shade Crest, what they do on other servers doesn't matter. For example, if QuietSea were to grief someones house with tnt on some random server, would your opinion of him as a player (or staff, for that matter) actually be swayed, or would you just think "Well that happened, whatever." I think that it would be the latter option.
    Reveal your true self? We aren't a bunch of sociopaths in here! We just aren't flawless angels. Destruction is fun once in a while (tnt rail-gun, anyone?) Am I only 'that guy' that carpeted cano's server? This logic would dictate that is who I really am, while discounting everything I've ever done on Shade Crest, and that frankly pisses me the hell off. I know you weren't trying to attack me, but I am still hurt by the implications.

I was talking about established staff members, not becoming a staff member from the place of an average player. And yes, people will think differently if someone is known to grief elsewhere, but if they are an upstanding citizen on our server, we really won't care about it.

... Assuming this is the only/main server they play on. This is a safer bet with staff members, but even then, there very well may be another server they play more on. I've been tempted to find a server for just play, because staff duties took up most of my 'play' time here. And seriously, who is the imbecile that makes an opinion of an entire server because of one person they met outside the server.

Since 'our image' really won't be affected by members on our server griefing, this must be referring to staff. Same as above, if some random person says "Herpaderp, I don't like this user and he is staff on this server. I'm telling everyone to avoid this server", then we probably don't want them on our server anyway. As for alts, there are people that don't have the means to buy another Mine Craft account. That seems completely unfair from my perspective that some players have a free pass, while others cannot have some destructive fun on a throwaway server for fear of getting banned from their home.
    Actually, on this note, nearly all of the players in the cano incident were on alts, and the original accounts all got bans.

I agree that a group of players is different, but the group is not Shade Crest, it is a group. If most of the members from a group are involved in griefing, it may reflect badly on other players that are known to be in the same group, but it might also not. This will be addressed more below.

We are only human, we do stupid things and make mistakes.

Staff are people too, and should just be themselves. If there is a destructive side to their personality, and they keep it outside Shade Crest for the good of our community, why should we punish them?

People decide for themselves how they will act, and shouldn't be judged by outsiders because of their friends. This is not a server rule, this is a norm within society. If anyone disagrees with this, I would be surprised. So, for example, if (pick random player...) PieSquared was in teamspeak with us all the time, and then the rest of the teamspeak group exploded 'insert server here', she should not be judged by what we do. This is an arbitrary player with an arbitrary server, so we can logically apply it to any other server with any other player. The conclusion is no player (the entirety of Shade Crest) is responsible for the actions occurring elsewhere (any other server) that they did not contribute to.
    So, as a matter of principle, if we are judged as a server for the actions of a group of players, the fault lies on the ones judging. And because we are not in any way responsible for the actions of a group of players elsewhere, we should not inflict punishment for those actions

12. Legend9468

*People go do stuff on another server*
    But it wasn't against any rules or etiquette we've heard of here!

*People go to make rules so we don't have to cop any more wibbly-wobbly in the future again*
    Why do you need to do that? We're our own people and make mistakes!

Incase you didn't notice, both Ndv and I have said that we're not concerned about individual players going to other servers and letting loose. The concern is about a mob of players going out again, and that at least twice it's reflected badly on us.

We may not be anarchists, but we do need to regulate ourselves.

To reiterate my point:
    If staff from another player deems it necessary to contact us directly about one of our players, then that would indicate they crossed a line somewhere and involuntarily involved SC in the process.

13. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

I was talking about groups of people, nearly the entire time.
    If staff from another server contacts us in regards to a players actions, we still aren't responsible for those actions. The server in question should enforce its own rules, and we should let the players be. They did nothing on our servers.

14. Legend9468

Apologies then, when I kept scrolling up for reference, I must've read the wrong parts.

We do owe it to them at least to give the player in question a warning, you know, like we've needed to in the past. It's when it goes beyond the usual advertising/annoyance that we need to take it a step further.

15. ndvenckus1

ezeiger92
    1. When I wrote that post, I didn't have the events on cano's server in mind until I directly spoke about them. That wasn't even remotely a comment about everyone's actions on cano's server; it was my opinion of how misbehavior on other servers should be dealt with in general.
    2. You mentioned a lot of things in your post that I addressed later on, as if you were reading it bit by bit and responding, rather than reading the entire thing and constructing a whole response. Like I said, I don't care if one or two individuals go on another server and screw around; it's when a group of players from Shade Crest draws enough attention that someone traces them back to us. I'm not saying it's right for a judgement to be made about a large group based on a smaller portion of that group. What I'm saying is, when a large enough group of people all stemming from Shade Crest causes a significant amount of trouble on another server, it may be misinterpreted as an attack orchestrated by us as a whole. Maybe even restricting players in this instance is a bit extreme, so long as they don't reference Shade Crest.
    3. Of course people, even staff members, aren't going to act perfect all the time, and I neglected to consider that when writing my post. The intention of the post was to state my ideas and eventually come up with new rules, and rules are generally made with ideals in mind. When I said that your actions "reveal your true self," you misunderstood me. I didn't mean they identify you as nothing but a trouble causing scumbag. I meant it reveals a side of you that perhaps hasn't been known in the past. And even when I say this, I'm really not referring to petty griefing or raging in someone's chat. If you have truly malicious intents, that's when it's time to worry. And even still, with someone who's done almost nothing but good for Shade Crest over a couple years of playing, and hasn't acted to develop a bad reputation for him/herself, occasional things like this can be excused. The main thing with staff members is that they are the faces of Shade Crest. While members don't necessarily represent Shade Crest in their actions, staff members do. In the case that the owner of a server someone's been harming decides to google his/her name, and finds the he/she is an admin on here, that will certainly affect the outlook people have on us. That's what the mod and especially admin titles bring.

16. Legend9468

I'm also just going to put a disclaimer on the whole "Seen as an attack" part of it before anyone takes offense. It's not the best choice of words, but it does convey the basic feeling of it.

17. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

So why were the non-staff members punished even worse then the staff members like me,north, mage, etc

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

18. ndvenckus1

Punishments varied between individuals based on their previous actions as individuals. awasted is someone who really has no bad history on Shade Crest, has positively affected the server as an admin for a long time now, and caused minimal damage on cano's server. North has a bad history of his own, and this was initially seen as sort of the last straw for him. Slebert responded rudely and violently to almost every post. A number of factors went into the length of each individual's ban. awasted wasn't let off easily because he's an admin; he was let off easily because of his particular situation.

CanOpenerTrooper likes this.
  19. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

Correct.. thanks Random :D I did mean that staff should be held to higher standards, as they are arbiters and representatives of the server itself.

<3

20. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

But you just said staff members represent shadecrest. From the looks of it awasted has an immunity. Plus i did the exact same thing as him so why don't i get let off?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2