Brenthi Bombing (Potion of Harming 2 Spamming)

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by Rem, Mar 16, 2014.

?

Shoud this be DeBuffed

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynodamon

Dynodamon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
    DastardlyWhale likes this.
  2. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Nah. Compared to how things were pre-anvil. It's shocking anyones complaining at all. It takes maybe 30 minutes to get a stack or 2 of diamonds mining, 2 minutes grinding at and enderman farm, and then maybe killing cows for about 10 minutes to get the leather.

That's about 45 minutes for all prot 4 armor. It used to take an hour and a half of not just getting the xp, but clicking that damn enchanting table to get to 50. That is when potion bombing had a real impact on players who put in the real effort to get good armor.

You do make a very good point though. Potion rushing is all about the time spent preparing for a battle. Potions do take considerably less time, but they also are extremely limited in their uses. 6 damage of splash II compared to the 12.5 or whatever done by a single swing of a sharp 5 sword is extremely limited. So even though splash potions are allowed, they do not even come close to leveling the playing field.

And finally about erik's post. He is adding to the conversation by taking away components that give an illusion to the problem. He is actively helping the conversation by narrowing the argument.

Sorry I had to be so poignant. But antagonizing another players insightful comment is what is really taking away from the argument. By being malicious, you have probably created a problem within a really non-issue topic.

cerburus and Dynodamon like this.
  3. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right; it's really not that big of a deal. I will be completely honest here. I don't really have an opinion either way on the subject of potion bombing, seeing as I rarely pvp.

Mainly, it was the manner in which erik disputed rem's claim. I admit that much of my post was not directed towards the response written here, but rather towards the conversation in teamspeak that lead to the response. He made it sound as if rem had proclaimed that the earth was flat, and that he was a complete idiot for making a generalization not entirely grounded in facts. We've all done that, and I felt it was not appropriate to call rem out on it. The intent of the post was understood; no need to attack the technical details.

But, as you said, arguments are detrimental to the resolution of the thread. For that reason, I will drop the subject.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    ZPWR22 likes this.
  4. You beat me to it, so I have nothing of my own to contribute to this thread, goodnight everyone *walks away*

5. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Is this thread pretty much based around people getting sneaked up on? Because I don't really see any other way the potions would be unbalanced.

Esp considering both parties are capable of making the potions; and by extension, using them.While it sounds like a wibbly-wobbly move to make, it's not as if there's a company out there that's spent countless hours balancing the game or anything.

6. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

[​IMG]

How about we all just live in peaceful and never ever PvP :D?

epic_poke8 and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  7. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

So you're at your house in pvp or outside span fighting, and someone invisible (can't see them on dyna map either) sneaks up behind you and throws six potions before you can even press the sprint key. No amount of skill is going to save you from that.
    I like how this thread is being controlled be people who don't pvp and have no idea what this is like. They're driving the only pvpers away, and with that:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  8. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

If the person is invisible, then I think you have a few other concerns than what they're throwing at you?

The argument is boiled down to who throws the first punch in a fight. The same argument could be made if someone was invisible with an OP sword, not much would save you then as well.

EDIT: Rather than nerf the power of potions, a better solution would be to limit the amount of damaging ones they can carry. So if it takes 5 potions to kill a player, then we only allow people to carry 4, then finish off the player themselves.

9. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this thread really about pvpers complaining that their OP gear has one weakness and they want that weakness removed?

I_am_dropbear and Legend9468 like this.
  10. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Have you ever snuck up on someone, invisible, and tried to smack them with 6 potions before they move away. Assuming they are geared up and raring to go, how much time do you think you have before a sharp5 sword slices your head off your unarmored body?
    It is more difficult than you give credit to. It's not that brenthi was the only one who was a jerk with potion spamming, he was one of the few who could actually get kills from it.

11. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

The last time me and shock dealt with a brenthi bomber it took me and him ages to get one hit off since the particles are so damn hard to see. It's very difficult actually

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

12. ezeiger92

And have you tried to be the invisible person? If it was so easy to potion bomb, more people would be doing it.
    • If you stop moving, you are dead
    • If you sprint, you are revealed
    • If you are too far, you miss
    • If you are too close, you hit yourself at the same time
    • No armor can be worn, and nothing can be in your hand
    • If not all of your potions fit on your hotbar, you better be able to swap them fast
    • 2 hits from just about anything and you are done

13. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

PVP in Minecraft R serious business. Greatest PVP game with best PVP mechanics of all time.

Yes vanilla mechanics of PVP aren't perfectly balanced. Don't like that they aren't perfectly balanced? Go play League of Legends, WoW Arena, Guild Wars 2, Counterstrike, or any other multiple game who's primary focus of game design is PVP.

PVP was not one of the primary game design tenants of Notch when developing Minecraft. Furthermore, there's only so much the staff can do in terms of "balancing" an already imbalanced system at it's core with very little depth. The key variables in Minecraft PVP are latency, gear, and your ability to move / use potions. I guess also whether you initiate the fight and get the early upper hand contributes as well. Overall, it's not like a PVP fight in Minecraft has the same depth and character as let's say a 45 minute 5v5 arena battle in WoW. Hell a 30 second team fight in League of Legends has more actual skill and coordination happening than Minecraft PVP. If we were playing on a Roleplaying server with Classes and Abilities which could be balanced, then maybe you'd have something to complain about.

Stop trying to complain that a simple mostly vanilla system is unbalanced. If you want to cry to someone, go cry to Mojang. See how far that gets you.

Dynodamon, ZPWR22, Nifix and 2 others like this.
  14. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

It's been said many times that we are trying to encourage pvp, and maybe even if we had a good pvp playerbase we might get some more active players.
    If it was so easy for us to turn around and kill them this thread would never have appeared, it's the simple fact that these few dicks are stopping the whole of the already tiny pvp community from wanting to pvp.
    These guys can kill you in two seconds flat, and you can't run for ever you know. You're giving the bombers credit where it isn't deserved, and I can't put up with all this bullshit.
    The bullshit that is Shadecrest and most of the community. You can minus one from the already diminishing number of active players.

Kindest regards,
    From Fuck You All.
    [​IMG]
    Real mature of me, I know. Finally got this off my chest, and I case you didn't get the message...
    FUCK YOUUUUU.

Rem likes this.
  15. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

Ok bye. No one will cry.
    Seriously, this is one single part of the game you want changed, and its something that is in vanilla minecraft. Its not like you are asking for a MCMMO skill to be changed, or a plugin edited. You want part of VANILLA MINECRAFT to be changed, and its really fucking stupid. I understand that it can be frusterating but its part of the game, and something that mojang wants in it. If you want to leave because of a vanilla minecraft mechanic do so, but realize that 99% of other servers will be the same. maybe you should just quit minecraft and play a game more suited to what you want as it is obviously not this game. Good Bye, and best of luck to you

ZPWR22, epic_poke8 and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  16. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Seriously, may I change my vote?

17. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Well this thread escalated real quickly

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

18. ezeiger92

For the love of god, if it is so damn easy, then why isn't everyone doing it? You can't run forever... Their potions don't last forever. Their heavy hitting damage is severely limited by the inventory space they have.
    What I'm hearing is you wouldn't be complaining about this if the other player couldn't hurt you. It would be fine if your crazy armor made you near invincible to anyone but other worthy opponents.

Have you tried invisi-bombing people with potions? Go try it against players who know how to deal with that and see if it is a 2-second-kill.

As has been said before,

ZPWR22 and Nifix like this.
  19. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

I'm sorry but I'm not the greatest at PVP and I've murdered Brenthi tons of times. Sure he's gotten the jump on me in Molten back in the day, but I made him pay. Also to ensure Brenthi couldn't get the jump on me, I had alarm systems setup at the only entrance to my obsidian tower so as soon as he snuck in I knew.

And yes I lived in PVP and yes I had my only base in PVP, although I did upon request move my chest shop to Peaceful because people didn't want to buy from me in PVP world.

If you really cared you could deal with the situation, but it's easier to QQ all over the forums like a 12 year old.

Finally, a good strong community is what makes a strong community. Mutual respect, collaboration among groups of people, warring factions or guilds, and good supportive staff that is respectful along with players who are respectful to staff. Over emphasis PVP for PVP's sake is not the solution to making Shadecrest have a stronger community. I'm sorry but PVP is a niche community (PVP) inside a niche format (Survival) of a niche game genre (Sandbox building). To have a strong community on Shadecrest, it's better to have a server that supports a wide range of players in an already niche game. Also people being more mature on these forums might help improve the overall community, not posting images of Eminem flicking everyone off.

20. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

;') So beautifully spoken, it warms my cold black heart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.