Brenthi Bombing (Potion of Harming 2 Spamming)

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by Rem, Mar 16, 2014.

?

Shoud this be DeBuffed

1. Yes

25.0%
  2. No

75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

And where did Richard get his money? Did he find it on the floor? Did he make everything for less than 300r? I think not. And this is why I don't PvP. (not because I suck or anything...)

sharqman and DastardlyWhale like this.
  2. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

The invisibility part is still hard to implement, but the victim of the act is mostly likely going to notice if he is not invisible and visible. The OP bow part i can't respond due to the fact i don't know the damage a power 5 bow does to prot 4 armor

If someone can give me a head to head comparison with Prot 4 vs. Power 5 bow that would be excellent

3. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

It's hard to implement, which is why staff probably won't do it themselves.

My question though, is why it's Invisibility+Potions > Invisibility+Weapons? The main issue with this thread seems to hinge more on the invis potions, than it does on the harming ones.

4. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Also i'd like to add why people are confused why i am still posting is because i don't want to complain again to staff about this so if there were rules or something put in place that can please both parties, you won't here complaints from me, shock, etc. and pvp will be active, enjoyable for everyone and one less of a headache for everyone

5. Legend9468

And also the fact that we're slowly starting to have a productive discussion, contrary to what you peoples think.

6. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

If everyone just stays calm, we should be good.

7. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Invisibility is a good pvp tactic. I don't like it due to the fact i'm going in without armor. I'm not exactly saying that Invisibility+Potions > Invisibility+Weapons. It seems that way due to the fact that i'm unaware of the power 5 vs potions. I do know the sharp 5 vs potion situation and potion > sharp 5. So from this assumption potions > power 5, but i'm not completely sure. Even when it is visible potion bombing vs visible weapon fighting, potions tend to do a little bit amount of damage. If you were visible, it would be fair in both situations, the bomber has the potions, while the decked out PVPer knows of the bomber's position giving him a little bit more time to react, rather evening out the playing field. When a bomber comes up from behind you, it's almost like a regular PVPer coming up from behind you, not much you can do about it. Still the potions have a slight advantage, it still rather sucks. But in the end, if they were visible, it would cause the playing field to be evened out. Vanilla mechanics were not messed with and did not effect any other mechanics.

8. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Very few people posting here are active in the type of pvp that goes on in our server. If you think you are active in pvp please pm me, I am finally going to make that pvp council thing zpw was messaging me about a while ago. They will make the decision, and all further decisions on how pvp is regulated/promoted.

p.s brenthi wasn't the best at pvp, the tactic is just named after him because he did it a lot. Also obviously if potion spamming can kill someone in prot IV in a few seconds while prot IV + sharp V vs prot IV + sharp V battles last at least a minute sharp V invis would be very ineffective against someone in prot IV.

waterpower1 likes this.
  9. Legend9468

So now we've established that the problem isn't the potions of harming, but the visibility of the attacker? Without the invis, then the bomber only has a marginal advantage over the average pvp'er.

10. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Erik > the_reminator98

Seriously though, have you or have you not tried potion bombing? You talk about it like you are taking candy from a baby, the baby being you and the candy being your prot4. If the person has any idea that you are coming, it is much harder to kill them than you give credit for.

11. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

So from the looks of you are saying being caught off guard is easier then be on guard? And i will not potion bomb since i see it as dirty PVP IMO.

12. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

I don't have an issue with pot bombing.I don't like the invisible part. I just don't like that I can't see them but they can see me in my shiny glorious diamond armor. could we not just make them wear a hat or boots or something so i have something I can attempt to swing at. Sure, they have the swirly things that emit from invisible people, but when it's raining and night time... kinda hard to see.

Bob out!

Rem likes this.
  13. Legend9468

There were nicer ways of saying that Ez; and anyways, we were just arriving at that conclusion.

While my way is taking longer to reach similar conclusions, it's also attempting to teach peoples how to think about problems, and to be nice while doing so. If all the discussions followed the approach that Rem and I have been doing, then a lot more of these discussions would be productive.

14. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

A good pvper should use armor, sword, bow, potion, milk, lava, water, the environment, their skills, all where appropriate. Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it's inherently bad. If you have any legitimate suggestions on how to change things with a setting, plugin, or other such thing that would be productive. Suggesting behavioral rules is unproductive because that's not going to happen.

Also I applaud Legend for trying to teach our youth lessons in critical thinking and problem solving, but maybe threads like this one isn't the best way of doing it. You're just dragging it out. The reality is that we start by responding nicely with facts and critical thinking. When the other side doesn't think critically and responds with middle fingers, why are we at fault?

Legend9468 likes this.
  15. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

To what bobby said, this kind of implements the old rule you must have iron armor to be able to pot bomb . They can still be invisible, but yet you still see a big chunk of white armor. This implements the invisibility rule and possibly the 2nd rule i suggested.
    Edit: they can still potion bomb, but it does not put a behavioral rule down in the books. I'd be please if this were to happen and the bombers can still be happy and bomb

16. Legend9468

The general consensus seems to be that while potion spamming is a wibbly-wobbly move, it's still a legitimate strategy; but will not be advertised as such, and discouraged from being used.

Is there an enchant to protect against potions and such? I'll look for one later, but it sounds like it could solve 99% of the problems in this thread.

17. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

There is not, only prot 4 is the only protection. Normal armor pretty much does nothing, pretty much wiping you out. I've seen plugins that add extra enchants, but not any potion protection enchants, but i'm not positive about that.

18. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Correct if I'm wrong but wasn't potions and specifically harm / splash potions originally implemented AS a counter to heavily armored opponents?

epic_poke8, Legend9468 and bobbylou4 like this.
  19. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Killing someone who is not paying attention is easier than killing a player who is... Yes, that is what I said. That is true of everything.

You have a distorted view of the disparity between the potential damage of a fully geared melee pvp-er and the potential damage of a potioned-up chemist pvp-er.

Relying solely on potions is not dirty at all. It is stupid. Any pvp veteran will wreck an unarmored player that, by the nature of his attack, must be in relatively close range.
    This entire argument has been based off assumptions about the dps of potion bombing and the difficulty of hitting an invisible player. Promoting thinking is fine, but the starting point is already screwed, so any resolutions still lie on shaky ground. That and I'm getting sick of this thread.

How many people are bombing potions? How long have we had potions, and how many people have become tyrannical rulers of the server by spamming potions in pvp? Why even bother discouraging it, it isn't effective as soon as people get used to it. Even now its a bad strategy to go with.

20. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Creepers were added to add more of a challenge to the players. The explosions they made make many people mad, but yet we turn off creeper explosions to create a more enjoyable environment (from what it seems like) . I'm not saying disable harming potions, but to even the battlefield when people use them. This would cause a more enjoyable PVP experience
    If people complain about, sure enough it has happened plenty of times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.