Who is in charge

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by CyberVic, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman2416

Dman2416 Active Member

Why not implement a new rule, after a certain specified amount of time and warnings, if a creator still doesn't work on his world it will be deleted. Maybe on certain cases parts of a build can be transferred to another world.

2. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

that was the idea.

3. Z_Millla

Z_Millla Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Creative does alright, it just suffers due to lack of staff. I was voted to be "in charge" by other admins which lasted up until we reset all the worlds against my will. I still have console if people want to pm me to modify shit, but I don't do anything of my own accord these days. There's also various ops who can handle stuff in game as well.

Not sure why the topic of creator came up, but only 3 people were ever offered creator, only 1 took that offer, and that individual still has their private world (which won't be going anyway minus sharq deleting it).

The flat architect world was my attempt at giving some high end builders a private area without spamming out new worlds. It still has lots of open space.

Anywho, I want to care about this place, I really do, but I just can't seem to find the desire. This place has just left me feeling jaded as fuck, and that kinda sucks. I've seen so many attempts at revamping the server and every time it doesn't seem to do anything. Likewise there have been some great natural times to revamp in which we do nothing, or we do something that makes zero sense.

This thread is the epitome of the whole who is in charge problem. Here we see someone motivated, component, well spoken, and willing to lead a revamp, yet about all they can do is post fucking forum threads. Hell, cyber even applied for staff and was denied. Inactivity? Really? We have children running around as staff yet the guy who posted a goddamn resume can't make the cut... mmkay.

BTW the whole "I wish Max would come back" isn't even a good option. I mean Max no disrespect in saying this (I'm horribly grateful for what he has provided us with), but Max doesn't play minecraft. He doesn't know what players want. He likes shiny things like EHM and a hub server, which don't actually fit for our server (seriously, has that hub done anything besides confuse new players and make bans a pain in the ass?). I love him as a person and would love for him to come around more and share more cat pictures, but he would not be the solution to improving the server as some imply.

This post is probably more indicative of my terrible pessimism than it is of the server. I'm not sure, others can be the judge of that. Sorry for bitching without actually being constructive, but I've grown annoyed. I've offered countless ideas in the past that almost always go unanswered. I've called out tons of terrible ideas only to see them implemented and turn out terribly (and then people act surprised). If you need consoley things done on the hub or creative let me know, else I'll just go back to whatever it was that I was doing.

ZPWR22, epic_poke8, trukklob and 11 others like this.
  4. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

The main issue with Cyber becoming staff was about the forums, and the fact we have no formal ftb admin rank here. No one had any problem with him getting it on the server, but in order for him to be staff here, he would need to be staff on one of the vanilla servers as well. That's actually the only problem that we're trying to work out at the moment regarding it.

5. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Isn't this exactly what Z_Millla was talking about though...

Dman2416 likes this.
  6. Legend9468

In that case, I fail to see what Z was talking about with the rejection of the staff app.

7. Legend9468

I also gave people a deadline to reject Cyber's staff application. So we should know by this time tomorrow if anyone has some serious problems with it. (You have at least 3 people saying yes so far, and I'm also going to guess Z's post is a yes as well; which makes it 4.)

8. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Z, the subject of Creator came up because I was trying to work to get a good grasp of all the ranks that exist today and as part of the document had a placeholder for creator since I heard it existed, but yes I heard it was rarely used. Nothing to fret about just was trying to understand it as a rank, whether it was still used, was it something worth noting.

As to your pessimism, I hear you and trust me I understand. I'm still optimistic. I certainly hope that while my ideas might have scared some people, my approach might be a bit too forward for some people's comfort levels, I hope that things will move in the right direction. AS people read the document once, twice, three times and begin to digest what I'm proposing, hopefully they will see that I'm trying to support the staff, not take over, change everything, or do anything drastic. I just want to oil the machine.

I want things to be brought into balance so people like you who are clearly good staff don't end up feeling jaded. We need better process just one of those things I hope to help with if I'm made staff. I hope as it sounds I will be made admin again, I also hope that I can work with existing staff to shape the future of Shadecrest and begin to turn things around. That's what matters. So keep your head up, we need good people like you.

Rem and waterpower1 like this.
  9. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

erm... hi ^_^

10. trukklob

trukky for server prezzie :3

Rem likes this.
  11. trukklob

1: Cybervic has been around for, idk... forever? Give the man whatever admin position he wants for jeebus' sake! His seniority and dedication should trump a vote by his peers, as his peers are transient and fickle. (I'm included in that category :p )
    2: No one is in charge, and that is not a bad thing... yes, Max is an absentee server owner, but that is okay! Look what we have available to us, despite Max's distant relationship with the server: Multiple low-lag/no-lag servers with 98% up-time, access to relatively new plug-ins and server management tools, and a moderately long-term, close-knit community of loosely invested and/or talented players who enjoy the server (most of the time).
    3: Ideas are fun to speculate and ruminate about, but ultimately, this is not a completely profit driven server. Hence, the incentive for both players and staff to really invest any additional energy beyond an initial passing curiosity is fleeting at best.
    4: Where's Anno? D:
    5: I've played on servers where the owner is "more involved", and it's usually (if not almost always) some 9 or 12 year old kid with nothing else to do. This usually means poor server management, world wipes, crashes, and all number of other unpleasant things that can ruin a player's online Minecraft experience.
    6: I've also played on servers where a single "head admin" is running the show, and that too often seems to lead into negative consequences as well.
    7: The strength of Shadecrest as a server I feel comes from it's obsequious nature. It is here when it needs to be. It is fun when it needs to be. It is inconspicuous when it needs to be. It is great when it needs to be. It is terrible when it needs to be.

The point, you ask...?

Shadecrest seems to survive, despite the turmoil, apparent lack of consistent leadership, and in spite of the turnover or loss of truly exceptional players. What does this mean? idk... But I know that the server is unique among other servers offering similar goods, and in the modern age of the internet, that is an enduring quality that draws people of all stripes! :D

Long winded, you say...?

I know... I am old, ok? xD
    (hi a3, teh... made some cool stoof in mah absence?) :D
    (also... hi boobbly!)
    ...hi zar-
    ...skits- <3
    ...the rest-

In the words of a wise man: "Let it be, let it be! Let it be, (oh) let it be... speaking words of wisdom, let it be!!!"

TehRawB likes this.
  12. trukklob

btw... g1mcKenzie's robot city build in creative looks frekkin' awesome! y'all should check it out fo realz :3

13. trukklob

lel... y'all so cray :p

(omg, i'm too old to type dumb crap like that :3 )

*vote for truk's prezzie status rescinded!

TehRawB likes this.
  14. CyberVic

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure... tell that to the CEO of Venture Node LLC.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    trukklob and Dynodamon like this.
  15. TehRawB

TehRawB Active Member Creative Architect

Read it and cant say i disagree whit much points of it. sadly its mostly pointed towards survival but a revamp of survival might help creative aswell. I do disagree whit the console for alot of people tho. Console access should be restricted too the lead/owners.

On creative we all agreed on z too lead us sadly we havent gotten anywhere due to bickering and powerstrugles just like you mention and it would need a stronger point of aproach from the lead and i see why z has gotten tierd of it sadly. The only way to get something like that too work is for the owner to give the lead full controll so you/we dont get these endless discussions but rather action.

As far as code of conduct goes im not sure on how it is primetime on survival as im mainly playing there daytime and moose is awesome and relaxed and never rude too players and on creative we have had some problems but its mainly been dealt whit. 1 issue i have been seeing is that alot of staff thinks they are better than the regular members due to being staff and i disagree whit that behaviure as the staff should be the people taking the heat instead of the normal players disrespecting staff should be taken lighter than disrespecting a fellow player as whitout the players we dont have a use for staff at all.

As for the creative rules in general there isent much issue whit them quite strait forward dont grief dont be disrespectfull dont advertice and dont build too close. Dosent need to be much more complicated than that. All we do is build and chatt realy. The current rules work quite well might be somethings we can change/add but in reality there isent much need for it.

As for the policies i agree on the steps needed to be made and if possible i would like to be a part of the discussion when it comes around.

I allso would like too add that i want survival/creative/ftb to feel more like a common community rather than 3 different servers as it is now we dont have a community based on all our servers but its rather per server and some server hoppers doing both.

Rawb out hopefully my spelling errors dosent make it unreadable

trukklob likes this.
  16. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

It 6:14a.m.

Fact: A number of rules on the wiki page are miffed. Unclear. Contradictory of other rules etc. I cannot, will not, give two flying f**cks who physically sits down to alter the page and make the necessary revisions. It needs to happen. If that means we need to cycle a proposed list of rule adjustments (such as what is included in the document Cyber provided)until we have a clear set of nearly un-misinterpretable rules, so be it. It needs to happen.

Two days ago, it took nearly two hours and spanned nearly every form of communication we have in this community to clear up a PvP dispute because, though we throw the term "PvP engagement" around on the rule page, we have no clear definition of what actually constitutes a player vs player engagement. Do you have to be combat tagged? Does simply chasing someone down in PvP mean the attackee is dragged into an engagement before a blow from either side is struck? Who god damn knows? I know it took way too much time and energy to clear the matter up that's for damn sure.

More later. I have to work.

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

17. Hez

Hez Member

Cyber Vic r u ever on? And if u r wat u usually on? I'm on atleast every other day and I've Never seen u. Also do members have any speak in wat happens to the server because well no on person should have all power. I would like to see u interacting with the players on Shadecrest soo that we may see how u r in game. I don't believe in blindly letting changes happen or letting blindly take these matters into his hands.

18. CyberVic

@ Hez, I'm on basically every day. Every frickin' day. Mostly I'm on FTB, but recently I've also started playing again on Survival PVP. If you actually knew me like many players on Shadecrest know me, you'd know that I am very liked in game and always been a supportive member of the community. Furthermore, you make wild assumptions that Leadership of the server means that "I" will make blind changes or "take matters" into my hands.

@ TehRawB, I will get you included in the creative discussion. My goal with the rules revamp was to make a BASE set of rules that apply to all servers then specific details which apply to each server. As you've seen from my document, definitely changing the way people communicate with each other on the power struggling and the derogatory tone toward members or members toward staff has been recognized, that's just going to take effort and time to change that tone using good cultural change management.

@ SpaceCadetKevin, yes they need clarification. I made a good stab at the definition of PVP engagement based on how we defined it at Obsidian (the MMO that's now 15 years running) that I helped create. It is a matter of clear definition.

Nifix and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  19. Hez

Hez Member

Well that explain some things... I've just read ur boat loads of messages and I'm getting a clearer idea of wats going on... I think id like this change in making Shadecrest more pronounced. Have fun guys I'll be eating popcorn as yall do the reall work.:D :rolleyes:

20. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

You know, you can help SC by making a good name for us towards guests, maybe tell your friends about it, etc.

trukklob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.