Who is in charge

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by CyberVic, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hez

Hez Member

I have within the 2 months I've been here ive already brought 2 friends to the server I'm working on getting 2 other pvp'er friends to join to. :D :cool:

2. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

i have brought 7 friends to the server :p

3. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

I'm sensing an impending misdirection of focus.

ezeiger92 and treyman77 like this.
  4. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

We all need to contribute. Staff is in charge, and all help the server develop and prosper.

5. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Ok, this is out of hand.

I know I just showed up to this thread late, but I don't really care. I'm going to get my say in.

The last three pages have been everyone talking about what's wrong with the server, and wala, nothing's fucking getting done.

This thread is about establishing a new political hierarchy for the staff members, not electing someone for dictator.

Which is why I'm going to ask the admins to delete all posts not directly proposing a

a.) New governmental type, focusing on executive/judicial positions.​

b.) Encouragement of an entirely new political system​

c.) Settling terms for any new ideas following a or b
    Now for my say.

This server is "falling apart" (which I have stated fucking isn't, but apparently that's beside the point now) due to internal politics and recent power struggles. Historically speaking, the first move that showed transgression was sharq's banning of awasted, rem, NK, and Erik. This caused several players to quit, most notably Z_Millla. Spawning this shit storm.

What I'm going to propose and support is going to be something that will leave the players unaffected. And the staff in a rigid 3 tier hierarchy system.

Five of the top staff will be considered a "council". They have the ability to veto any action, event, or rule on the server if they vote in a 4/5 majority.

Next will be what I consider "physical" admins. These are the working ones, the ones who make this server run. This is all the admins who are not on the council (but will most likely still include council members). This includes events, mods, new servers, and all the other admin jazz

Third tier will be moderators, the enforcers. The rank of moderator really shouldn't mean as much as it does, becoming mod is a privilege yes, and I'm not saying it shouldn't be held in high regard. But playing, being active, watching chat, and focusing on player interaction should be their primary concern.​

Players elect the council every two months. Rerunning for eternity is entirely possible. I actually have a problem with what I just said, because having the elections on the forum, which they obliviously would be, excludes some of the new players. But unless someone can point out how to get around that in a realistic manner, oh fuckin well.

All admins discus on the admin forum who should become mod, hopefully if the server is not too unbalanced, there should only ever be about 5-10 mods at a time.

If let's say council member zroxami decides that he wants to go skiing for six months and doesn't return, a new council election will be posted at least one week following his term of leave, and the new council members will be decided then.

Finally, the small group that is the pvp council will be left out of this, they will remain dutiful to all the pvp related subjects that have already been established by Sharq.
    I know a lot of you won't like this system. But it works. This is basic small group dynamics. It could take some time getting used to, but its effectiveness is unrivaled due to its structurally secure base in the players who play and VOTE.

I'm sorry cyber, I know this isn't what you wanted from an oldie, but its what I'm going to give you. I admire your intelligence, charisma, and motivation, but I don't think you're what we "need", because what we "need" isn't just you, it's the rest of the staff on this server too.

Edit: A couple of grammar mistakes.

Hez and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  6. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

too complicated

<3

7. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

It's not complicated, it's detailed. There's a difference between light's constant in a vacuum, and finding the how quickly light passes through a glass tube, and saying that the red brick was inlaid with several layers of mortar, each cherry red layed upon the top like dominoes stacking tall.

Please take this thread seriously, and try to contribute something.

8. trukklob

Wait about six months, or a year... most of this trivial back and forth will have evaporated and been forgotten. Let the server be, and it will be fine. Server traffic and interest increases and decreases randomly, mostly due to the random nature of life outside of the server. So don't try to contain, or structure it beyond the basic restrictions that have already naturally fallen into place.
    1) No griefing
    2) No spamming
    3) Don't ask for admin
    4) Don't be a dick

Need there be more? Let the people who are active at any given time shape the culture of the server, but don't impose draconian restrictions on future players because of current turmoil.

:D

9. trukklob

too serious, too complicated

<3

10. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

sigh

11. trukklob

also... what? xD
    Light in a vaccuum? Too deep for mah brainz, zp (;

12. trukklob

The more we try to slice and dice the management of the server, the more complicated it gets... keep it simple, brah-

13. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

I'm starting to wonder who made you admin. Because you're acting like since there's a wall of text that it isn't simple, so i guess i'll dumb it down.

5 really chill guys vote on things that are considered not exactly in the rules, but are considered grey.

The other chill guys, who aren't realllyyyyy chill take care of some of the less chill things, like managing the server.

Some undoubtedly cool guys, who everyone seems to like and respect handle things on a personal level with the players.

Now, the really chill guys can do any job that the chill guys can do and the cool guys can do. But not vice versa (cool guys aren't chill enough to do the more grown up things.

And the best part about this, is that the players get to decide who the nicest, most reasonable, and creative people are. Then give them the responsibilities of really chill guys!

And because I feel you're feeling endangered by this system. No, this isn't applicable to creative. Creatives fine.

If you don't think this is a simple system compared to what we have now, then you have nooooooooo idea how complicated it is now.

I know you think you're being cool and silly, but you're incredibly distracting, and at this point a nuisance to everyone who is working for change. I'm sorry that you take things to heart.

Mega_Spud and Hez like this.
  14. Hez

Hez Member

I for one really like this... It's simple and effective.... Just the way i like it. Does anyone else agree with me!?

TheTechGeek245 and ZPWR22 like this.
  15. trukklob

Please dumb it down for zp, because i'm really really stupid.

The over reactionary and personal commentary that you have posted here is a symptom of a dying server.

You won't find a more chill or responsible person on a server than me.

I'm not arguing with you personally, but your obvious anger about this issue seems to be clouding your judgement.

I may not be the most active admin here, but I advanced to this point mostly by being nice and supportive.

Let this be a distraction, especially if it makes you mad brah-

no reason to get snippy, we basically agree (unless you don't see that).

<3

treyman77 likes this.
  16. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Ya'll need to calm down a bit and have a logical conversation please?

Put simply, we need someone with ACTUAL game design, community management, and leadership experience in charge or else the server will always be medocre at best. Things are already moving in the right direction, people are rallying behind my ideas, change is inevitable at this point.

17. penguinarse

penguinarse New Member VIP

This is stupid, and I don't even use the forums and I've had to hear about bickering and talking crap and shit regarding it and what will likely happen from now is nothing, just like the amount of progress that was going to be had with the creation of this topic.

I feel like this is only a small root of a larger problem, there are users who would like to usurp power and set things the way they see it should be ran. If you don't like it, you're not required to be here, and if you think you can do it better, go try, but of all the servers I've played on this has been around the longest of them. The biggest problem that has always been in existence of minecraft servers is that the users want to have something there way and scare away and disgust the rest of the user base and it widdles away into nothing. As someone who plays on the server somewhat regularly i don't see any major server destroying issues with it. the staff have all been helpful in some way when they are needed to be, and there aren't huge overbearing problems.

I think you guys just need to chill the hell out and address particular issues as they are separately instead of chastising the entire staff and enticing a giant stupid argument that everyone sits and complains about for days on end.

All that aside, some general reform that would benefit this server if it already isn't in place is:

A better way to find solutions to a problem is address realistic problems in a democratic manner where the staff can have their input in their own way (which they already do anyways) and have the users give input based upon what ideas they have, they play on the server all the time and have valid opinions as well. Then to find a common ground and enact that decision.

If there is an issue with an existing issue with a member(staff or otherwise) then the most logical way to address it is to document proof about said problem, have a penalty system based upon that. If there is a rule that is being exploited or that is decidedly poor then there should be documented proof about the problem with it. Only then can there be some kind of results found, because he say she say can't have any useful result.

As the rules currently stand there are always going to be exploitable problems and there will be things that are unfair, but having a bulk topic of people crying about everything is not going to fix anything. Each individual rule should be addressed on it's own.

A great example is the changed rule that you can kill someones livestock as long as you leave two, while some can think this is a fine rule, this can easily be exploited and abused and it is just in general a rule that can cause a ton of turmoil. I killed about 200 livestock in the course of an hour and a half from a few different users who i'm sure are in uproar about it now. (See the_reminator9 fig. 1)

To address this particular issue, I would propose a topic with a poll to vote for or against the rule, leave it up for a week, and the result of that poll would be the result of whether or not the rule stays.

I don't understand how people can be so irrational about simple things like rules on a server on a video game. This is not a government, this isn't a society or a city. This is a video game and you guys are making it a hell of a lot more complex than it really is.

The rules can't be as simple as don't be a dick and don't grief, or they would be and this would be a 10 slot server with a bunch of 12 year old children threatening each other, but they can be changed to fit a changing community, as well as staff members can change based upon activity, ability, or need. There is no constant unchanging item in this whole situation.

Overall this topic is pointless and should be locked. If you have a problem with a rule or staff member or the way a thing is done you should make a topic addressing that one issue, and have opinions and polls based upon that one particular issue instead of all in one topic of cry fest.

The End.

18. trukklob

Thank you!

<3

Mega_Spud likes this.
  19. trukklob

also... penguinarse is an hilarious ign man (;

20. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

You still play here? And yes, good point, but ignoring cyber trying to establish himself as server leader, he makes a good point that change is on the horizon. It's the change that least affects the game but strengthens the internal government of the server that is what players are looking for. I'd say most players are entirely content, I for sure am. But it is most certain that some staff members aren't. And it is important for the people who run the server to have the order they need.

Hez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.