Here at Shadecrest we value...

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by CyberVic, Mar 31, 2014.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Ok folks, help me out a bit here. What I'm looking to define are the core values of Shadecrest / the Shadecrest Community as a whole. These are things we value about Shadecrest. Simple, descriptive words that we'd use to tell our friends about Shadecrest and get them excited to join this server. These are things that make use proud of Shadecrest. Keep in mind too, these words might be words that don't even perfectly describe Shadecrest today, but they are words we value and if Shadecrest isn't like that completely today, maybe we should work to change things so it's more like that.

Anyhow, here's some words to wet your palette and get you all started. If you like some of these core values or if you have other values to contribute, please do so in this thread.

Here at Shadecrest we value....
    fun
    comedy
    community
    communication
    creativity
    diversity
    family-friendly
    friendship
    helpful people
    teamwork
    variety

Ultimately I'd like to narrow things down to the top 4-5 things which ShadeCrest values the most, our core values. Those core values will be used to help refine the vision of the future of Shadecrest as well as used in marketing materials.

You can see the latest progress on the revamp document here, but please keep this thread focused on the core values discussion. Other discussions will be started in the days/weeks to come concerning other parts of the document.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...Vv85wqkJ4hI58fNOo/edit#heading=h.3w8407rj8lzt

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

I agree with everything but removing /fork? Also some words friendly, helpful

3. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Varied/Variety - in the sense that there is lots to do, however many players are on. Might be a better word than varied out there.

4. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

I like teamwork,that's a good one to keep

sent using my awesome galaxy note 2

5. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

I like the community one

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

6. CyberVic

I have started a new thread for general feedback. Those who go off topic from Core Values, your posts will be moved there.

7. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

Comedy

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

Pieman_Is_God likes this.
  8. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Grammar/spelling seems to be a big ticket item

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

9. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

Apparently I have gotten better grammar. :p

10. CyberVic

Great feedback on this so far. Please continue to offer ideas of core values. I'm personally moving onto the next section, the Vision, beginning a draft of that and also updating the staff list.

So far I think I like these 5 the most. They are the most broad but also gives the best sense of what is Shadecrest. Comedy and fun are synonymous, but I think comedy is more specific and has a bit more emotion in it. Variety and diversity are synonymous, but diversity also can be interpreted as culturally diverse (since we have a global audience). Helpful people, friendship, and teamwork are all kind of the same thing, but I think teamwork is the most descriptive and has a sense of meaningful, helpful togetherness. Family-friendly, communication, and community all go together but I think community is the biggest word in that set. Sometimes one can argue that this server is not that family-friendly at times. We need to decide how serious we are about that one before we make it a core value.

In the end here's my list, I think it communicates Shadecrest well.

comedy
    community
    creativity
    diversity
    teamwork

Again, welcome to further ideas just keeping the ball rolling. I'd like to keep the CORE values to a list of 5. So yeah, got a better word than one of these or think we can consolidate 2 and add something that's more in line with our actual values, please give feedback.

11. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

It would be good if the values all started with c xD

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

12. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Cyber, if you do indeed take the title of server co-developer (Is that a word?), please stay and help! Don't be a blatca and leave so that new members never see you. You can help this server reachieve greatness, and go even more. I would hate to see you jump ship right in middle of it.

13. CyberVic

Lolz yeah... words can be funny when you do that. C is one of those words which tends to be like that.

@Epic... I enjoy leading. It's just what I do. Professionally it's what I want to be doing, more so than programming, leading a team. My wife even thinks that I should go into politics if it wasn't for how corrupt everything was I just might. Maybe 20 years from now when I'm more seasoned. Ultimately it's up to the server, the staff, Max whether people feel like I'm doing the best job serving the community. I think I am. Most of the server supports me, most of the staff seems to support me, save for about 2 people, but I will win them over in time I think.

I support those who need my support and support my work. As long as the people support me, I'll keep doing it. I certainly did it in my guild to the day we stopped raiding when we hit our peak and felt we could go no further. Over time I hope people learn to trust my judgement when I propose something that will improve things and not argue about silly things, but that will just take time. My overall style is cultural values and vision first, suggest and implement changes based on culture and vision second. But that's all leadership 101.

Oh and if you haven't noticed my signature, it's probably the best leadership quote of all time and one of the things I remind myself regularly about. It's from my favorite Harvard Business professor John P. Kotter.

14. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

May I ask the ultimate leader test question? Do you choose what's best for the team as a whole, or it's members?

15. CyberVic

That's a tough question and it depends strategically. It also depends on the environment. In a wow guild I wasn't just a leader but a crucial member of the team itself so I had to worry about what was fun for me just as much as everyone else. We were also a performance based organization where fun wasn't even nearly as important as winning vs our competition.

As a staff of Shadecrest, I care more about the short term health and as we grow I will worry more about long term health of the server as an entity which includes yes the members, the staff, the whole system. This is where vision and core values helps in decision making particularly when making tough judgement calls. You define Shadecrest as a whole and think about what is best for it. Sometimes that means disagreeing with what the members say they want because what people SAY they want isn't what is best for their actual enjoyment / what they really want. For example players might say they WANT this plugin, but if that plugin would ruin something else they want and you see that, it's our job to help the players understand that. Of course that's just all about good communication.

16. trukklob

trukklob Active Member Creative Architect

I'm both repelled, and attracted by CyberVic's focused drive... my longing for leadership is tempered only by my fear of subjugation.

A well spoken and charismatic leader can drive a group of people towards success, or utter failure...

Enjoy Cyber's enthusiastic guidance, but dilute it in a solution of simple rationale.

(I appreciate what you are working towards, ole' cyb... keep at it, mate!) :D

I_am_dropbear and Mega_Spud like this.
  17. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

I'd like to add "competition" to the list. Whether it's between towns or between shops, competition has always driven individuals on the server to achieve greatness. Personally, I prefer "variety" over "diversity," because its meaning is immediately clear. We have a variety of things to do for all types of players. "Diversity," for me at least, immediately points to cultural diversity, which is good, but sounds a bit cheesy :p If you want five, maybe knock off teamwork, not because it isn't important, but because we've already highlighted our close sense of community.

Pieman_Is_God likes this.
  18. CyberVic

Hmmmm yes, competition really is a core value of Shadcrest. Regardless of gamemode.

19. ZPWR22

ZPWR22 Active Member VIP

Don't know if it's too late to throw in a "not all who wander are lost" theme.

It's awesome to just pick a direction and go and find a bunch of awesome builds. Maybe a focus on quality builds should be noted somewhere? Historic landmarks and other ruinous buildings are things that I really valued on the first map.

20. I_am_dropbear

I_am_dropbear Active Member

building skill! designing! :p