General feedback on Shadecrest Revamp

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by CyberVic, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    I_am_dropbear likes this.
  2. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

My problems:
    Stealing should be illegal from all mounts, be it a pink steed, donkey, or horse
    Don't change the spawn! It has a nice feel to it!
    I love the troll board, and if someone does not like it, don't visit it.
    Some amusing contradictions... Both are right from the form.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Other than that, seems fine.

3. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

From dictionary.com, second definition is the one being used in the document.
    indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.

4. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

I really skimmed, are there really no rules against profanities mentioned?

5. CyberVic

• Clarified the statement about mounts.
    • Weaton's Law is not contradictory with Don't be Vulgar.
    • Corrected my statement about peaceful spawn.
    • Spawn world is already in process of being replaced. This isn't anything I've suggested, it's already in progress. The new spawn world will have a very integrated feeling and not just some place people go for events and selling ore. It has a very collected feeling, giving feeling of home for creative and survival players alike.
    • In regards to the troll board, you're fighting a losing battle. You love the little games that happen in the "troll Board". What I'm advocating is those little games get moved to off topic. There is no difference right now between off topic and troll board other than Trolling is allowed in the Troll board and IMO trolling should never be ok. So the only reason to continue to support the Troll board is specifically for the purposes of being allowed to troll.

Finally. Please stop de-railing this thread. The purpose of this thread is to talk about core values, not nid-pick every single little thing about the document.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    ezeiger92 and Dynodamon like this.
  6. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

I will buy the first plot @spawn

7. CyberVic

Posts prior to this were moved from another thread. Thank you Dyno for helping with thread moving / cleanup.

8. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Wow, you've clearly taken a lot of effort for this server, and I appreciate this very much.

I will have to read this later.

Magetime likes this.
  9. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

Actually that was one of the first things that stood out for me. Use of the word dick in an official document calling for less vulgarity while amusing is certainly contradictory.

I don't agree that off-topic and trolling are the same thing. I see off-topic as a place to post anything not related to Minecraft/ ShadeCrest. While that could include humorous/game threads I do see a subtle distinction between the two and like having a separate forum specifically as an outlet for that sort of humour, if only to make it easier to distinguish the two. If it is the term troll that you wish to move away from perhaps you could leave a separate sub forum but rename it humour or playground or something less obnoxious.

10. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Petition to change any and all vulgar names to wibbly-wobbly.

The main problem isn't that people troll IMO, it's that people post off-topic threads in the trolling section. People don't seem to see the deistinction.

While I support the merging of the two, because 99% of the younger playerbase see them as interchangeable; does anyone actually take a note of which forum section a thread is in apart from staff?

11. StephenP67

As a quick side-bar here, do we actually know what the current ShadeCrest demographic is? If I had to guess I would say over 50% would be in the 9-15 years age range. If that is the case then what is being proposed here in terms of 'managing' the community? Do you wish to alienate the biggest demographic on here because they're annoying? If they represent the bulk of the wider Minecraft community then how is alienating them going to help ShadeCrest to grow? I'm way outside of the demographic representing the <0.5% (guesstimate) of over 40s, and while I would like to see a more mature community if that goes against the reality of the gaming community doesn't that need to be considered before creating some master plan that may be doomed to fail?

Random0ne likes this.
  12. CyberVic

Simply removing the word "Troll" from a subsection of a forum, merging Off Topic and Troll Board will not "alienate" 50% of our playerbase. This is a straw-man argument, I would assume that someone over 40 would understand that.

Legend9468 likes this.
  13. StephenP67

I'm not talking about the forum change specifically as alienating the younger members of the community and I don't appreciate the dismissive and patronising tone to your response. You are purporting to represent the community, I am merely asking if you have considered the demographics of that community?

Mega_Spud likes this.
  14. CyberVic

Of course I've considered the demographics of the community. 9-15 year olds don't "need" a troll board to enjoy a Minecraft server. I'm familiar with managing communities which contain younger players. Appologize about any patronizing tone, I just get annoyed that many people around here throw down a lot of absolutes and straw-man arguments that are not productive. I will try to curb that annoyance a bit considering our younger audience, it is a good point that sometimes concepts might need a bit more explaining than I'd expect sometimes.

I'm just doing my best to improve the community and if 2-3 people are upset that there will no longer be a board called "Troll Board" and they will be starting their funny threads off topic, I see it as an investment into the future of the community. Even considering the demographic, having a board titled "Troll Board" will attract more of the wrong kind of people to this community and detract good players from our community than simply having an "Off Topic" and no "Troll Board".

15. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Might you be more specific in what you mean by alienating? If not the forums specifically, then what?

I haven't actually seen anything yet which drastically changes how we do things around here. Unless you're talking about the marketing aspect of it, then most of it is refining what we already do.

16. Mega_Spud

Mega_Spud Active Member VIP

Just to be clear 'Wheatons law' most certainly is a use of vulgar language.

Legend9468 likes this.
  17. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

Why is there even a debate on the troll board? Having a troll board will not bring bad people to our server, its just a place for a bit of a laugh, to me the troll board is basically an everyday place for April fools jokes and such (kahue see what I did there cause it's April fools today)

I know trolling is seen as quite serious in others views but tbh to me its just now a generalized term for being a practical joker? Correct me if it is still indeed seen as serious.

Edit: also just read a bit more detail, yeh that point about rules saying not to be rude or whatever then having a picture saying don't be a dick does contradict. To me it's fine cause its all a bit of joke and laugh, but if you want it to be serious maybe you should reconsider? idk?
    Edit2: Also video is cool :p , but imo not needed in there probably, most won't watch it and is pretty much already worded.

My opinion :)

18. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

"Don't be a dick " has always been our number one rule, and in my opinion it wasn't enforced enough. I think it's really there for people who maybe don't know what "vulgar" means or can't be bothered to read it. They can just glance, see that and know what the main guidance for our server is, don't be a dick.

19. CyberVic

No, the definition of trolling is not practical joking nor does it have anything to do with being rude. A troll is someone who posts something specifically for the intention of inciting anger in someone else. Trolling is a hateful action where you specifically post something to piss someone else off and ENJOY pissing that other person off. Hence why habitual trolls are considered sadistic psychopaths. They enjoy causing psychological pain in others. Again, just because you and apparently a few others in this community don't understand what trolling means, the majority of the internet knows what it means and having a Troll Board could scare a lot of good players from ever joining this server because it looks like we endorse that kind of activity on our boards.

Practical jokes. Being silly. These things are not trolling. They are off topic.

On a side note, it kind of amazes me of all the changes I've proposed this one thing has gotten the most attention. Mostly because people don't understand what Troll means. In some ways I guess if this is the biggest thing people have issue with, it means that for the most part my line of thinking of what the community wants for the server is on the right track.

ezeiger92 and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  20. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

I know that, im just saying to me (idk about everyone elses views) its a practical joke, i don't see the harm in having a board called troll board, but if it must be, call it 'Joke Board' or whatever you want.
    Ah changing your post I see =)

Mega_Spud likes this.