General feedback on Shadecrest Revamp

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by CyberVic, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

I'm ok with calling it Joke board.

2. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Merging troll board and off-topic makes sense, but renaming the troll board is pointless. Nobody does any serious damage in there, for the most part it is playful. The spammers post in off-topic btw, not troll board.

waterpower1 and Mega_Spud like this.
  3. CyberVic

It's all about server image.
    Having a "Troll Board" is ultimately bad for the brand.
    Having a "Joke Board" is perfectly fine for the brand.

The concern over the term "Troll Board" is not how you or anyone in our community currently today or in the future perceives the term troll. The concern is over how the general internet perceives the term troll and how a new player could potentially be turned off by seeing a Troll Board on our forums.

4. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Right, but like you've said it's basically the same thing as off-topic. Even more so if it's changed to troll board.

5. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

If that's how you look at it fine. I don't entirely agree that the sole decision should be up to you (or to one person) but seeming as I don't think a 'poll' is even needed for such a strange topic, and I am not totally fussed, just didn't see why it was even an issue after so long. P.s Cyber, max is only one with perms to change forums (unless that's changed since I was last aware), so perhaps pm him and let him deal with it?

Disagree here, the arguement is that it's a harmful name, so renaming would make a difference?
    I also think there is a difference between a board for practical jokes/pranks and a board for chat not related to minecraft that isn't necessarily joke related.

Anyway I'm out, seems to me like a silly discussion.

majestic_moose and Mega_Spud like this.
  6. CyberVic

This is something that I intend on changing as I continue to work with Max though the revamp proposal.

Pieman_Is_God likes this.
  7. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

While you're at it, I'd appreciate it if admins actually had moderation perms on the forums :/

bobbylou4 likes this.
  8. Pieman_Is_God

Pieman_Is_God Well-Known Member VIP Creative Architect

idk if you were staff on forums at the time, (so sorry if u knew this already) but max took it away from everyone when someone started editing posts (no edit history at this time) then gave it back to some select people. Just setting story.

What with post editing history shouldn't really be a problem, probably should check with max tho

9. CyberVic

I am all for staff having the tools they need to do the job.

10. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

I know what you're getting at with the use of the word "troll", but the word has been so bastardised that in most use cases it pretty much means to prank someone, joke around or mess with someone. Still, the board doesn't really fit that warped definition either, and would be more suited with "Games Board". I do think it should be separate from off topic, since off topic is actually for discussion that's just not to do with minecraft, whereas the Troll board contains fun threads (for some) that aren't really about anything.
    There's an option to edit posts silently which can't be removed, so it's incredibly easy to edit anonymously.

StephenP67 and Mega_Spud like this.
  11. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

I agree with renaming the Troll Board rather than combining it with Off Topic. The latter should be used for slightly more serious discussions not relating to minecraft while the former is used for joke/game threads.

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

12. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

On the topic of Wheaton's Law, while it exists in the document, I highly doubt it will be included in the final set of rules as written.

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

13. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Two points/ideas:

1. A general rule, if it'll get you muted ingame, then it'll get you in trouble on the forums. This also includes any and all censored words.

2. At some point we all sit down and discuss what actually constitutes what; along with what each section of the forum is intended for (Along with clarification of some definitions).

14. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

I agree with Stephen and moose that the boards shouldn't be merged, as they're not the same thing. Off topic, as stated, is for threads that have nothing to do with the server (you can share songs here, talk about world events, etc.) The troll board is, and has always been, somewhere to act crazy and post essentially whatever the hell you want. Renaming it is fine.

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.