Rules Talk - Building Accessability

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by CyberVic, Apr 3, 2014.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Let's talk about this rule:
    • All towns and buildings in towns must be accessible without an enderpearl
    Let's also talk about how I propose to reword the rule:
    • All buildings / areas must be publicly accessible without an ender pearl or warping

The intention of this rule is to disallow people from avoiding the need to lock chests and similar things, circumventing this part of survival by instead hiding builds underground or inside of cages or other things which might have region protection, towny protection, or otherwise just in the middle of nowhere so no one knows where it is at. Furthermore, private warps and /home are intended to make travel easier, not for the purpose of being nearly the only method of getting to that location. Using warps and /home as the primary method other than digging to get to a location is not really the intended use of those mods on a survival server.

Now an issue has come up where some people are concerned that certain kinds of inventories (particularly hoppers, dispensers, and droppers) might not allow for locks. Well, it is certainly possible for us to allow those things to be locked. In fact after a brief discussion with Shaq tonight, it seems as though after next server restart we should now be able to lock these types of inventories. If we're missing anything people want, we'd much rather enable locking of those kinds of things than let this kind of rule continue to not be taken seriously.

So there should be no need to hide buildings at bedrock in the middle of nowhere to prevent people from stealing your stuff. Locking is one of the few gold sinks on this server and it's a minor one at that. Please just make sure to lock your stuff and this should be a rule no one should complain about.

If there are other concerns, please voice them but overall with the aid of towny and locking, everyone should be happy. Please voice your concerns, support, etc.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    hywzerboydy and Beocca like this.
  2. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

/chopper allows the hopper to lead into a locked chest

Mega_Spud likes this.
  3. Beocca

Beocca Member VIP

Love the ability to lock hoppers/droppers etc, was missing that ability when i was playing. Will jukeboxes be included in this? Or will it still suffer from whatever problem it had that I cant remember

What do you mean by publicly accessible exactly? Like not have areas hidden with easy/intricate locking mechanisms?

epic_poke8 and Mega_Spud like this.
  4. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Is a lift sign fine?

Sent from my House that is mine with my alive dog

5. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

The rule does need to be adjusted to include all protected areas since we are protecting public shops now. I dont think we should go further than protected areas because then it is a private place, so a public entrance shouldn't be necessary and it is accessible. If you tunnel down into someone's base I think it's fine to just fill in the hole with any solid block. Of course you have to replace whatever blocks you broke that are a part of the base exactly.

Mega_Spud and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  6. Mega_Spud

Mega_Spud Active Member VIP

That sounds far more sensible Sharq.

Hidden bases can be part of the fun of the game.

Others can still seek them out if they wish, and players will still lock their valuables if they are sensible.

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.
  7. CyberVic

I personally think locking mechanisms and even signs signs are fine. I was reminded last night signs can also be privatized. I'd assume even privatizing a sign would be fine assuming that the area isn't protected by towny or other means. In other words, make the sign private and if people want they can dig down to get to your base if that's the case. I do agree that hidden parts of your base is part of the fun of designing a base / the game.

What I don't like is hearing people have alt accounts who are hidden on the dynmap, who have a hidden base underground in peaceful in the middle of nowhere and they use the /home of the alt account for their chest room. You could have hundreds of chest hidden in the middle of nowhere with this method and realistically never have to lock them and NO ONE would ever find them.

Of course that begs to question with the prevalent use of alt accounts, you can basically buy with IRL money any number of /warps by just having an alt account and using that alt account's /home. Both of these cases are more IMO are kind of abuses of the /home system.

How about this for new wording:
    • All buildings / areas within a protected region must be accessible without an ender pearl, /home, or warping

hywzerboydy likes this.
  8. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

What about the buildings that are not accessible have a few signs near them saying a public /warp /home name

9. CyberVic

Hmmm maybe someone else should take a shot at the rewording.

Let me just step into the shoes of the person digging under ground.
    I'm this guy who has 2 minecraft accounts.
    I've built a base on peaceful in the middle of nowhere.
    I'm hidden on dynmap at all times with both accounts.;
    This house is not protected, it has no chest locks, but I've put it where no one will find me.
    I have no lifts here, no ladders, no tunnels. Just a lot of stone and dirt, maybe some obisidan between me and the rest of the world. There is no indication my underground base exists on the surface.
    I've set on my alt account my home to this location.
    I've then invited my main account to this location.
    I know no one will attempt to find me because even if they dig to me, the odds of being able to replace every block behind them as they go searching for me is almost impossible and if they do find me I'll report them for griefing to my base.
    When they don't replace every block to my base and I do report them, it will start a giant argument about how much property is really my property when building underground. Then new rules will be written, then I'll find more loopholes to exploit.

So someone please explain to me why this kind of activity should be allowed?

10. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

You can't claim every block above/around your underground base as yours, especially if it is terrain that isn't really visible. We can close the gray area right now by saying it's okay to tunnel into someone's base as long as you fix the base and fill in the tunnel with a solid block. Or we could say dirt/stone or no cobble if we don't want cobble. Your house is underground, there is always of someone accidentally hitting it when they're strip mining too. Also there is nothing stopping someone with one account from doing the same thing, you can do it with a home and a warp, or even just a home while you have an actual house in a town.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014