ShadeCrest's Image

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by bkoch5, Apr 29, 2014.

?

New Spawn?

1. Yay

80.0%
  2. Nay

20.0%
  1. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

ShadeCrest's Image

Other Servers

If you look at other servers you see that they go with flashy banners and flashy builds to attract enormous amounts of players to their servers. However, those flashy banners and builds seem to only attract unloyal people who won't stay with any server for too long.

I personally think if we (ShadeCrest) want to attract loyal mature members, we need to appeal to those kinds of people. First off, I have recently noticed that on the creative server we have some AMAZING builders, and then on the other side if you look at the survival worlds main spawn, it is dark and small. Since that is one of the first things people see it kind of deters anyone who is new (If they care about looks, no offense to the builder of it <3). I, personally, think that we need a new spawn in order to attract new mature members to the server.

If A New Spawn Is Even A Possibility
    The new spawn would need to be in a goldilocks zone, so to speak.. Not too large that its sheer size will make anything confusing, and not too small where it looks like no effort was put in. Also the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) method can be used to build the spawn, but I prefer K.I.S.S (Keep It Semi Simple). I say keep it semi simple because you don't want your builds cluttered, and yet you don't want it to be bland and boring.

A ShadeCrest Hub
    I think the new spawn should actually be a hub for ALL servers, I understand why we have each server separated as it is currently. But I think a central hub would allow the ShadeCrest Communities that we currently have, to become 1 community.

If you have any ideas or questions, please leave a comment. Also please take note that when I say new spawn, it doesn't mean that one is currently in the works. (I'm just a VIP noob here xD )

BurningIce2 likes this.
  2. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

the first thing people see is our hub server which is the current spawn for every shadecrest server ( technically because people arrive there first) I have to agree that the current survival PVE spawn needs work. Right outside of the "spawn that took an hour to build" we have a massive group of poorly constructed and griefed buildings, But we still have a few active players who live there (for ex Linkasa lives down the cobble road towards the settlement) I think for peaceful spawn we need to have it redone and plots coming around it so our regular members can help make it look better (sell the plots around the spawn for roupies would be a great way to take currency out of the server) after 30 days of inactivity the plot can be claimed back by the server and resold after cleared.

-Time to make another long post :)

3. majestic_moose

majestic_moose Well-Known Member VIP

Just so you know, there's already a new spawn on the way and near completion, as mentioned here. You'll also find that it addresses what Tech mentioned. By the way, it sounds like you're suggesting a hub server. Do you mean a new spawn for the hub? If so, what's wrong with the current hub?

Edit: or do you mean that each server should have a hub? e.g. a portal for creative on survival and vice versa

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    bkoch5 likes this.
  4. BurningIce2

BurningIce2 Active Member VIP

I particularly like that idea.

Sent from my phone using my fingers.

bkoch5 likes this.
  5. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

When a new player joins the server they automatically get sent to the hub (/lobby). And like moose said, we do currently have a new survival spawn being built. It's currently going through so e touch ups bu should be ready soon.
    But you'd have to talk to ezeiger92 and cerburus to find out more about it.

ezeiger92 likes this.
  6. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Sorry I meant a hub for each "server" that way people can go the the spawn and then travel to the other servers.
    For example: survival>creative or creative>survival>survival PVP and so on.

Also I think that main spawns (atleast for the survival world) need to be more useful as in a Server shop perhaps? Only buy (no sell) and possibly museums and other activities to make the spawn worth while.

Also glad to hear that one is in the works!! Can't wait to see it completed!!

EDIT: at first I was thinking about one central hub, but then I realized there would be an issue with item transfers. Also I do realize that there is a lobby but I never go to it because I don't see it being useful after you leave it the first time. (Not saying it shouldn't be there I think it should be xD! Just want to clear that up.)

Possible New Spawn Additions
    - noob chest (spare items from active players to newbies)
    - drop party zone
    - enderchest storage
    - simple mini games (parkour)
    - museum
    - parks
    - courtyard for events
    - shadecrest logo in the air

7. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

There's a lot of amazing new things at the new spawn and possibilities to add more. It's going to be exciting. I don't want to spoil it much but one of the primary goals of the new spawn is it to be a place where people WANT to congregate on a regular basis, not just some place people go for events / to sell to buy/sell from the admin shop.

In terms of the logo, getting a good first impression in front of people, etc. Max and I are working on getting a new logo for the ShadeCrest brand. How that may or may not be represented in game is not part of the requirements for the logo design. I'll work with the designer on that as a possibility.

Our creative team is working on advertising our skilled architects builds on planet minecraft, as I've been told that is the best way to attract new creative players, though advertising existing building skills (skilled players attract skilled players).

ZPWR22 and bkoch5 like this.
  8. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

It's probably best for you to talk to the guys actually building this :p (the ones I mentioned before) as some of what your suggesting may already be in there and some they may really want to use, just gotta wait for them to check the forums :p

9. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

A hub for each server isn't a good idea. Unless you don't mean an actual hub (server) like we have at /lobby... We can do this sort of cross server teleporting by having a region that executes /creative or /survival.

On the note of shops, we build a 'mall' that players can rent chests in to sell their goods. We've also laced out plots for a marketplace, which will be much more expensive, but players have (almost) free reign on what to build and sell. It still can't be a crappy build.

- [Noob chest] New players currently get a half stack of iron and other goodies after completing the quiz, and if we had 'free stuff' chests, the first person there would likely take everything for no reason.
    - [Drop party] I don't know what this would look like
    - [Ender chest] I see ender chests as an expansion you have to work for. I'm not adding a specific area for them, although there are a few right now.
    - [Parkour] We have other priorities first, but hopefully!
    - [Museum] What would be in here? The one in cerb's old spawn was hardly ever used.
    - [Parks] What would they add to the spawn, and what would they look like? (Flat, sparse trees, etc.)
    - [Courtyard] Not possible with the way things are layer out.
    - [Floating logo] Baaaaaaad! We are making everything with a good degree of realism, so the islands would (for the most part) work in real life. There will not be floating signs. If we tethered it, maybe... I'm just not sure how to make that work.

Here, have a preview. I cheated and used shaders on the most recent pictures, oh well :)

-edit: stupid auto-correct-

10. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Ok thanks for the replies! Glad to see that things are being done with the spawn! Also the pictures are sweet! Can't wait to see the finished spawn!

11. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

Looking good ezeiger. I look forward to exploring it.

12. Hez

Hez Member

Nice