Harassment

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by DastardlyWhale, Jun 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DastardlyWhale

DastardlyWhale Well-Known Member

It seems that most of us have forgotten the rule of harassment which falls under the category of "Don't be a dick" these past few weeks. I really don't understand why you guys do it in the first place. Do you honestly think it'll go unnoticed? Let me break this down for you.

This is the rule coming straight from Cyber's revision of the rules from the master document.
    1. Don't be a dick
    a. No unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, hateful, radically, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable language or actions toward other players or staff
    b. Simply put, if you are ruining someone's day through a means other than legal gameplay, then stop. This rule extends to the forums and teamspeak.
    <will not include the Will Weaton Law(look it up yourself)>

• To the people who feel that they are being attacked in some way, we have STAFF to take care of it. Do not try to get "even" with them as it does not solve anything rather be the mature one and report it or pm it to one of us and we'll be glad to take care of it.
    • If you're one of those people who like to say things in offtopic for the reason of getting a negative reaction out of people for your own entertainment, let me tell you that I'm always watching, listening, observing and I always like to wonder how it's all going to end.
    • This also doesn't seem to matter if it's direct, or indirect, it doesn't seem to have a difference based on my observations on particular people. Both have the same negative effect and we don't want that here so keep your sly comments to yourself.
    So, in conclusion just don't do it. Simple enough?

2. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Thanks for posting this Awasted. I just want to remind people how they can report people for improper behavior.

On the forums, there is the "Report" feature. Our moderators should be paying attention to threads or comments which are reported. This includes if you want to let us know that something like a signature or avatar is inappropriate. We can moderate that kind of content as well. Thanks to StephenP67 for being diligent about that kind of stuff.

On the forums, there is the "Finger Pointing" threads. Though I would advise that you use that as not a place to bash each other. Remember sometimes it's better to just inform the moderation staff of what's going on and we will mediate the situation and help resolve it. Sometimes that just ends up being less dramatic than finger pointing.

On teampseak, you can right click on someone's name and file a complaint on them. This is useful in many ways because it allows us to be able to see the actual userId in teamspeak more easily to be able to ban problem people or do whatever needs to be done.

In game, you obviously have mod requests.

As always, our goal is not to police people or tell people how to behave, but rather to keep the peace and let people enjoy the game together without the fear of harassment. When in doubt if someone you feel has stepped over the line, tell them honestly and peacefully. If they continue or maybe you're uncomfortable with confrontation, then let the staff help mediate.

ZPWR22 and TehRawB like this.
  3. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

Do not

Do not take the

And you'll be covered for a majority of situations.

Being able to see
    is very important, as it keeps you from over-reacting, and you seem, and hopefully become, more mature.

4. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

You mean
    ?

5. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

They are both bait, so yes

6. epic_poke8

His was a lure...

7. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

Please don't make us lock this thread too.

8. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

It's a metaphor you see, you put the trolling opportunity in a thread, but you don't give it the power to kill.

kmpurplekat and ZPWR22 like this.
  9. 86maxsmart

86maxsmart New Member

You know, credibility and respect is lost when on one hand it's stated "Don't be a dick" and then "No unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, hateful, radically, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable language or actions toward other players or staff."

Max

10. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

Rabble rousers rousing rabble. It shan't be tolerated.

Sent from the new and improved space phone.

Nifix and THEdeadRETURNED like this.
  11. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Well it seems that some people don't understand this rule fully, so strong wording is most definitely required, how many people here are legitimately offended by the word "dick" in that statement? I don't have any objections toward it, and being the mature community we are, I would have thought people would be able to deal with that but clearly not.
    Respect and credibility is lost when you feel you have to be condescending towards people because you think you're better than them because you are older.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
    DeeeezNutz and Rem like this.
  12. Archenemy666

Archenemy666 Active Member VIP

Ok, this has got to stop. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

DeeeezNutz and Nifix like this.
  13. 86maxsmart

86maxsmart New Member

I'm not arguing. I find the statement "Don't be a dick" to be offensive and "objectionable language". I agree the premise and point of the rule, but it would have been recieved with respect (from me), if it was written "Don't be rude". I don't like cursing one bit. It's a sign of weakness and disrespect and there is too much of it allowed here both in game chat and on this forum.

14. CyberVic

I find it silly that people are offended and overly dramatic about Wheaton's Law. It's rather ironic. Regardless, I'm tired of the silly argument so I gave up and already updated it in the master document to "Don't be a Jerk".

You're beating a dead horse.

[​IMG]

DeeeezNutz, Nifix and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  15. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

In discussion of this rule, we established that we as a community have no problem with "casual swearing." If you're messing around with your friends in-game or putting emphasis on the difficulty of something with the use of swear words, we really don't care until it becomes excessive. If you are cursing at someone, on the other hand, calling names, this is not okay. Based on the wording of this rule, I'll give you that it is unclear. Rewording it to "don't be a jerk" may be a good compromise, though you as someone who is offended by casual swearing are the minority. The intention of the rule was to broaden the guidelines we have set in place to cover a wider range of scenarios so that people don't complain that something's "not in the rules" after acting out.

Edit: And it's already been reworded.

DeeeezNutz and Nifix like this.
  16. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

This makes very little sense... Nobody is calling anybody a dick, just saying that if you ARE a dick to somebody you are going to get in trouble.

DeeeezNutz, oiShocKWavesv and Nifix like this.
  17. epic_poke8

Guys, PLEASE stop arguing! I myself requested that the term "dick" not be used ONLY in Cyber's document, merely for the purpose of sounding mature and professional. Outside of the document, especially within a post addressed to the existing community, it really does not matter whether or not a "weak" swear word was used. Had the F. word been used, the story may have been different, but the document is fixed, and nobody should be offended by this post.

18. CyberVic

[​IMG]
    Locking this circus of a thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.