EULA changes

Discussion in 'Minecraft Discussions' started by Slebert, Jun 16, 2014.

1. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

More oh no! Companies making decisions that benefit themselves and an extremely large majority of the people who play their game? GOD FORBID! Last I checked there's about 1 person here who owns a large server that would have an issue with this, and because of his economics expertise, I think we'll be fine.

2. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

Seriously though, why do people see this as such a bad thing, it's not going to hurt anyone that isnt currently profiting from their server. it's eliminating Pay2Win which most people including myself hate.

Sent from Sleberts phone

epic_poke8 and Dynodamon like this.
  3. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

There's a large group of people who see this as unfair. Though it has been a rule in the EULA for ages, it has not been enforced. Large mini-game servers have come to depend on the leniency of Mojang to finance their communities. Those servers are many times larger than ShadeCrest, often having have paid staff, coders, and builders dedicated to the server.

We do not have to change our server much to abide by the EULA, but those big servers do. Donator kits and similar perks are what makes these servers a profit, which is then spent on maintaining the server, paying employees, etc. Most of these servers have balanced the kits/ranks/classes so that gameplay is still fair to all players, but donators get extra choices, which makes their experience better. On good servers, this doesn't take much away from being a normal player. The only negative for them is "That class looks really cool, I wish I could play it..." That style of server has added an unbelievable amount of content to MineCraft, because people are being paid to make the content.

The problem is Pay2Win. There are large servers that do not balance the donator classes, they are made hysterically overpowered, and put at an insane cost. Who would ever spend $500 for some gear on a server? People that view money as less valuable than that server kit are usually younger children. They haven't learned the value of money, and unfortunately have access to quite a large sum of it (through parents credit cards).

The further problem is that you can't effectively punish those Pay2Win servers without hurting legitimate large servers. The moral line between these two is rather clear to myself, and probably the rest of the people reading this, but these are hypothetical servers. There may be some that are completely fair and balanced, and I'm sure there are plenty of complete Pay2GodMod servers, but in between them is the problem. Where is the line drawn? Is a class that regenerates an extra 0.1 hearts per second allowed (with every other attribute the same)? How about 0.2 hearts? If a server is called out on the disparity between their normal and donator classes, they will tweak the classes just a little bit, just enough to get past whatever arbitrary line has been drawn, while still abusing the system.

Dear god, I just noticed how much I've typed... Continuing.

I think that most of Mojang doesn't have a problem with these super balanced servers, but they have a huge problem with P2W. Like I said above, it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to strike one without the other. So what we are left with is a seemingly new policy (enforcement of EULA) that will hurt large servers (must find new ways of gaining money) and makes Mojang literally worse than EA (actually much MUCH better than EA). I wish this issue could be in black and white, with balanced servers vs P2W servers, because it would remove the need for this heavy-handed approach to dealing with P2W. Mojang could just say "Pay to win is not allowed", and the servers with fair classes could be left alone. Unfortunately, this problem isn't a 1960's television.

4. Slebert

I see what you're saying, and this is what most people are saying about it. That's why they made the statement I linked. They are drawing the line a point that ruins more that just pay2win servers, but the line is not too ridiculous and it seems fair enough to me. Basicly if you are paying/donating for somthing, it must be either purely cosmetic or it must effect everyone on the server in the same way (eg. Exp Boosts) which seems like a good way to go with it anyways. Even the fact that VIPs currently get chest locks for much cheaper is unfair. I think a good way to approach this for a server such as ShadeCrest would be to keep all the current perks avalible, but make their be a softcurrency price (eg. Rupies) as this is okay under the EULA. I'm sure there are plenty of cosmetic things we can give to VIPs. I'm with Mojang on this one :p

Sent from Sleberts phone

5. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

I absolutely hate big Pay2Win servers. There's a skyblock server I used to play. Nearly everybody was selfish, greedy, and had ridiculous /nick s. Whereas non-donators had crappy little grey names. That server is going to be shut down, and I'll watch it die >:)

Sent from my ooolllddd iPhone 3

6. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

I dont see how changing your name is Pay2Win? Did it have other stuff?

7. GingerSwan

Free access to /kit god, and 500 other kits, /god to get OP gear, and infinitely more stuff. Also it had a crap community. And giving non-donators grey names was unfair

oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  8. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

giving non donors grey names is not unfair in th slightest ginger, lol. that falls under cosmetic changes (which mojang will allow) the kits are a different thing, but if people are willing to buy em, why not have em.

9. GingerSwan

Ik what you mean, but the defaults were highly ignored, with the donators having names like xXKING_SWAGXx and them having /shout as well. I cri evrytiem.

10. Magetime

Magetime Active Member VIP

So is this being discussed what the new VIP cosmetic changes might actually be?

11. Slebert

I would imagine that the staff are working it out, of they aren't they should probably do so :p

Sent from Sleberts phone

12. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

I'd like to wait it out, actually. Obviously we'll need to remove or globalize the majority of our current perks, but as for their replacements, I'd like to see how other servers react before making any rash decisions.

13. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

Most likely we'll just add in game monetary alternatives for vip perks. Max said not to worry about donations.

14. ndvenckus1

I was thinking it might be a good idea to add some of the existing VIP perks to the upcoming vote shop. You could buy access to craftbook utilities and the like for a few weeks, let's say, with your voting points. VIPs can retain their prefix in chat.

sharqman likes this.
  15. Slebert

I think we should be able to donate more money and get our prefix upgraded to the next number for every 10 dollars, I would donate more if my name changed, people will donate for cosmetics

Sent from Sleberts phone

16. ndvenckus1

$30 is already a lot of money to ask for, especially when Max says it isn't a problem. With a younger player base, I think we're overstepping some ethical bounds accepting more than $30 from children's pockets (or more likely their parents) so they can flash a VIP-whatever tag in-game. There's a reason our ranks only go up to $30 right now.

17. Slebert

I under stand that, but our player base isn't purley little kids, and currently they are getting more that just a flashy title. I've donated well over $100 to the server, and that's my choice, but I havn't been able to donate it in my own name because of the current system. It's not asking for money, it's a donation. Why not take a donation if people want to give them. Mabey have another way of donating more money, that Mabey people have to go through I different process then just buying it from the store, Mabey have someone handle donations over a certain amount of money as to prevent children from spending their parents money. Or add different cosmetic things that are individually donated for. People like cosmetic upgrades, and people are willing to pay for them. If that is all that is going to be legally aloud to be donated for that why not have them. Money donated to the server can go towards other ways of improving the server, including possibly some dedicated servers for the space engineers servers.

Sent from Sleberts phone

Magetime likes this.
  18. GingerSwan

Ranks only go up to $30? Say that to any of us Creative VIP IIIs. Forty dollars. And we aren't even classified as VIP on the forums. Can we fix that?

19. Slebert

What is it with you and dead threads, this is a week and a half old, you do it all the time and it's annoying as hell, please stop... Especially when you have nothing good to add...

Sent from Sleberts phone

20. GingerSwan

It comes up in the unread section of Tapatalk