Vanilla: Shall we try that again?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Keldt, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Because creepers only destroy chests and nothing else.

2. Keldt

Keldt Member

Wow.. So this blew up after I'd almost given up on it.

Thanks, Cyber, for getting involved, and thanks to everyone else for continuing discussion after that xD

On the topic of LWC and looting-
    I'd kind of thought that we would allow stealing from unlocked chests, because there shouldn't really be many of those with free locks, which is still something I think we should do. I don't think there should have anything resembling forced currency, and requiring diamonds to lock chests certainly feels like forced currency. I guess if we all decide we don't want any form of stealing, I'm okay with that.

Creeper luring wasn't ever a problem on the last vanilla server, as far as I knew. If anything, we could mention specifically as a rule that creeper-luring is a form of griefing, and is not allowed. If it becomes a problem, we could potentially find a plugin that makes creeper explosions not destroy blocks.

3. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

So you're advocating chest locking to be completely free?
    So where's the survival aspect of protecting your goods then?
    Also if anyone can just lock and infinite number of chests for free... why would there ever be theft?

I (and I'm sure all the staff) would rather not have to police creeper-luring as a "rule". It's very hard to prove even with prism whether a creeper was lured or just happened to show up and blow up your stuff. Also if your area is not 100% well lit, a player could just be walking around, a creeper spawns and BOOM. Did he lure the creeper or did he just curiously look around your base? Can't prove either way. If you want to disable creeper explosions an furthermore disable enderman griefing, we can do that but you (the community of vanilla) need to make the call on it.

4. Keldt

Keldt Member

Yes, it seems like most people would rather not have to worry about thieves altogether, rather than having thieves be a huge part of gameplay, having to hide huge storage rooms, having stuff get stolen, etc. We're having to keep in mind here that stealing was the main reason the last vanilla server failed so abruptly. We're trying to keep things as vanilla as possible, within reason. It seems like people are willing to give up the thievery aspect of Vanilla Minecraft altogether in order to avoid another failed server. I think having something resembling a currency system would seem weird and alien even compared to the lock function itself, since a currency system is not as necessary.

Now that I think about it, I think I agree with Ndv in that we should probably just disallow any form of stealing whatsoever. The last vanilla server had this rule, and with free locks there shouldn't be an ability to steal anyway.

Right, that all seems reasonable.

So I guess we should get people's opinions on the specifics of LWC, and whether or not we should disable the griefing aspect of creeper explosions. I don't think enderman griefing is quite the same thing, because that's not so easily exploitable, as far as I know, but we could see what people think about that too.

I guess another survey could be helpful? What do you think?

5. Navarog

Navarog Well-Known Member

The last time we had a vanilla server, the allure of it was we were a big community and we helped each other out. If your goal in Minecraft is to survive then you should probably play another game... You can survive in Minecraft after punch some grass for a wheat farm and creating a dirt house. The point (for me and the others who played more on the last server) was for us to do community projects and work together on things. Allowing stealing would be very against this idea.

Everyone who has posted here who played on the last vanilla server supports not having stealing. The last server died because there was so much stealing.

Another pole would be good, I think. Could we not just make chests not breakable by creepers? If we keep a small community like we did last time and have a more strict whitelist then I don't think we'll have issues with people blowing eachother's chests up with creepers or breaking them with endermen...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  6. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

Technically I left cause I was being an Idiot and I removed myself

7. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Unless you're playing creative, the whole point of SURVIVal is to survive. That's like saying because I live in a house where we help each other out and are part of a small community I don't want to live.

8. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Theft isn't an inevitable result of unlocked chests. I think you're all forgetting that. Ftb had the unlocked ME system, and I don't think we ever had an issue with people stealing Cage's inven.

EDIT: Never publically had a widespread issue with stealing apparently. Random0ne

Random0ne and Navarog like this.
  9. Navarog

Survival has survival elements. If you play Minecraft like a survival game it is awful... I am just telling you what I and everyone else who played Vanilla last time thought. ;D

10. Random0ne

Random0ne Well-Known Member

Uh yeah, definitely... I totally didn't raid it whenever I was missing some materials... right...
    (In my defense, I don't think anyone ever noticed 3 diamonds missing from the more than 1000 in the system)

Legend9468 likes this.
  11. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

"Survival: the state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances."
    No matter what you are doing, if you aren't playing creative you are surviving.

12. Navarog

I'm not arguing the definition of Survival and this is the last post I'm making for this :v

Take out all the ability to place blocks in Minecraft. The ability to create anything pleasant looking or work with your friends. Make the game truly just about "survival", and it would be bad. What is there to do? I've played games about Survival. Games like DayZ and Silent Hill are games about Survival. Where trying to survive is the goal of the game and it is very hard to do for a good amount of time. Minecraft is not like that. Minecraft is a sandbox game.

That's just how I feel on it and I'm not arguing any more about it. Whether you play Minecraft solely for the Survival aspects or for the building with other people is none of my business. I just think that, if we put up another Vanilla server, the goal should be to create an environment in which players can work together and build things and create highly streamlined and functional systems of trade and movement and resource management. The goal should not be to pit players against eachother with rules like "steal what you want from unlocked chests" and "grief if you feel like it". :I

13. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

Sounds like you want a town on the Peacful world of Survival to me...
    [EDIT]: You guys are not really looking for vanilla at this point to be honest. you are look for the peaceful world minus Towny, Economy, and Chestshops.

Legend9468 likes this.
  14. Navarog

I don't like Towny and don't get along well with many of the regular Survival players, so no...

15. Slebert

Ah, so you guys are looking for a server without the stupid people of Shadecrest
    [EDIT]: Good luck with that
    Also, Can i ask you why you don't like Towny?
    You are not forced to use it if you don't want to.

16. Navarog

:( I liked Vanilla. It was fun. I like Creative. Shadecrest doesn't have exclusively stupid people.

17. Slebert

Ah, so its the Survival people that are stupid?

18. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Stupid people survive for longer on survival. They have a limited lifespan on creative generally as they get bored.

Anyways, I would not recommend taking that line of conversation any further. We can all see that it would just lead to a debate/argument.

Navarog likes this.
  19. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

Do we or do we not want a vanilla-ish aspect of shadecrest? If we do, what do we need to do to get that vanilla-ish experience through? It is pretty evident that some people want a vanilla server, and are very serious about getting that to happen (Keldt). Can we have the people who make the final decision (CyberVic and possible others) tell us exactly what needs to happen for a vanilla thing to happen to get the thread on the right track? Once that happens, and the people who aren't actually contributing and just causing issues stop commenting, THEN specifics of the rules and plugins can be discussed without wasting time because the server wont happen anyways.

Navarog and Keldt like this.
  20. Keldt

Keldt Member

Yes. Thank you.

Guys, this is not the place to discuss the people of Shadecrest, the meaning of survival (of all things.. o-o), or why we don't like one of the particular plugins that happens to be one on a semi-long list of sort-of optional plugins.

Slebert, what we've been asking for has never been "fully vanilla." I have tried to make that as clear as possible. If you'd like to see why we don't all go play in the peaceful world with a ton of stuff turned off, see the first few comments on this tread between Ezeiger and me, starting with this post:

CyberVic did come on and provide some helpful discussion and try to get things rolling, which was very nice. Like NMB said, I'd really like to know what needs to be done to make this an actual thing, rather than sitting here and discussing things we've gone over already, or things that don't really need to be discussed. We've proven that there is enough support for this to have a community. We've got a basic plugin list (I really wish people would stop shoving the "That's not really vanilla, you know ;)" argument out there, it has been discussed already). The next logical step is to get a solid plan in place to actually get things initiated, but that appears to be the one thing that is out of my control, and so there hasn't been much progress on that front.

While we wait for that to happen, if you would all please go read the Update section I made after I posted the survey results, so we can get some discussion started on things like community projects and the like? I will very gladly start a new thread for that if one is needed, which is something I expect, if only the discussion would get started so I know it wouldn't be a waste of time.