A note on creating modreqs

Discussion in 'Requests and Reports' started by ezeiger92, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Modreqs are very useful, they help get staff information to fix issues that occur when we aren't online or available. Unfortunately, there are many bad requests that do no good to players or staff. Most of these are outlined in our wiki, but some are special cases that are not explicitly outlined. This one in particular left me foaming at the mouth, so it earned a forum post.

For example, a recent modreq read:
    1. Our server is English speaking. We have no support for other languages anywhere through the forums or our wiki, and in the past have kicked players for using other languages in open chat channels. If this player can't speak enough English to get through the quiz, he would not have a fun time with all of the players that only speak English.
    2. What you are suggesting with the quiz is called localization, and hell no! To make sure the intent of the text has been translated correctly, you would need someone that speaks both languages extremely well. And what happens when a player only speaks Russian? Japanese? Hindi? Triple A game studios have to worry about localization (and it costs a ton), a small MineCraft server does not.
    3. This would require such a massive change to the way the guest quiz is currently set up, it would be easier to start from scratch. The fastest way I could handle that would be
      • teaching myself java
      • writing a plugin
      • paying an arm and a leg to a localization company
      That would take 3+ months if I didn't have a 20 credit semester coming up.
    I almost feel like this modreq was supposed to be a troll.

So, before you make a modreq, make sure it is something actually possible for the staff to help with!

oiShocKWavesv, Rem and Sophiiiiiiier like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.