Let's talk about McMMO and other fantasy plugins

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by CyberVic, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

A few ideas from reading this thread:

• Dying x amount of times in a timeframe (say, 4 times in a minute) respawns you either at the world spawn, or the spawn world. Doesn't reset your home or anything, just gives you some breathing time before you /home back to it.
    • Dungeons. After spawning in x amount of a mob, the spawner then spawns in a harder version of that mob (so like twice the health and xp), then resets this level when it's in an unloaded chunk. Helps keep the grinding mechanic interesting.
    • Beginner quests for the server. An idea expanding from Cyber's most recent post, stuff like making a bed nets you some small reward. So after you've done all the basic beginning stuff (Crafting table, furnace, bed, etc), then you also have a small amount of gear as a reward.
      • Expansion upon above idea.
      • Quest for sleeping in a bed. So easy for newbies to forget this.
      • Awards for achievements.
      • Etc

2. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

All good ideas Legend!

Hard mobs and special mobs are on a percentage chance of spawning kind of thing. Also loot in chests are reset on a timer. Trust me the grinding mechanic is very interesting. People have spent all day in my dungeon, the only issue is like I said previously, right now the loot is a bit stingy.

Legend9468 likes this.
  3. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Jesus christ this turned sour. I'm happy as long as I get my sugarcane fix ;-;

4. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

The more I think about it the more I hate the idea of losing MCMMO levels on death. Maybe if you lose any progress you have made to the next level that would be reasonable. Or even any progress you have made in your current session. But going backwards because of a bit of bad luck would s*** me no end. That would be like losing the last tool you enchanted instead of just losing your xp.

5. CyberVic

Yeah, honestly I thought about it more as well and I think I agree. It is one of the things that made me quit UO many years ago. Originally UO didn't support xp loss on death but then they implemented it and I rage quit the game. I was just trying to think broadly. Leveling in a stupid little game in Unturned is a lot different htan gaining skill in McMMO on ShadeCrest.

6. PieSquared761

PieSquared761 Well-Known Member VIP

Recently, mob spawners and such have been nerfed to a degree that almost entirely eliminates their effectiveness. I have more than doubled the size of my existing spawner that dropped an admittedly ridiculous amount prior to the nerfs, but it now drops ~10% of what it did. I believe the intention is to make spawners BALANCED rather than to eliminate them completely, but at this point, they are more than too nerfed.

EDIT: Another point I want to bring up is that the items being dropped aren't that valuable, like gold/iron. Rather, they are 3-4r little bits of items. The economy has them at low value because they are already extremely common, it makes no sense to nerf spawners at this point because the amount of these items in circulation is already quite high and their value is very low.

EDIT EDIT: You say you're nerfing spawners to make more of the playerbase happy, but what is this based on? Who is getting happier on the nerfing of something the game inherently has? The ways of playing the game is being reduced in order to fit with one way of playing, which is fundamentally wrong. I will admit these spawners were overpowered before, but the degree to which you have nerfed them makes them unusable. In a spawner, 20 zombies = 1 zombie in the wild, even though the amount of work is about the same.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    GingerSwan, Gatouli and oiShocKWavesv like this.
  7. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

• Please stay on topic
    Thought of this after reading Pie's post. The "playing minecraft differently" part about a plugin is what came to mind.

PieSquared761 likes this.
  8. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Not 10%, 20%. For drop traps. 40% for punch grinders.
    I don't care what the items are, getting stacks of items for standing around is stupid. If they are too common, maybe I should nerf drops globally as well.
    We aren't nerfing to make players happy, we are nerfing so people have to actually play and interact with other people to get items. Just so happens that people actually playing encourages more players to stay, and ends up making players happy.
    And, in your case, 5 zombies -> 1 zombie.

9. CyberVic

I would suggest the player base actually try to play and see how "badly" things were nerfed. For the average player, it honestly won't be that much of a nerf and if you consider all the other things we're adding to the game to make it more interesting, buffs to McMMO, other plugins incoming, and other things. I would advise people experience the changes then respond.

Remember we're building the server to entice a wider audience of players and specifically looking to attract more players who enjoy the RPG/Survival aspects of the game. We also have to worry about the economy and yes, spawners affect the economy negatively. Players who just want to sit back and exploit vanilla mechanics, that's what we have a Vanilla+ server for.

10. PieSquared761

The game itself makes them common, not us specifically.
    The average player doesn't have access to spawners? What is an average player? Someone who has been on the server for a few days? What about the vast majority of the playerbase that isn't an average player? Most of us have been on here a month+.
    The idea of "surviving" is misleading in that the game revolves around surviving for the first few nights collecting materials. It's ridiculously easy to survive. Beyond surviving, we want to build and to collect materials with work and by figuring how vanilla mechanisms work. Pistons auto harvesting melons, for example, is an improvement over punching the melons. Not to mention the entire objective of the game, arguably, is to make tasks easier and faster (Diamond tools are an improvement over iron items).

Look, I'm not here to see mob grinders are balanced, they are frigging broken in vanilla. I'm just trying to tell you the degree you have nerfed them to is too much. You don't use them so you don't know how much you've broken them, so all I'm asking is that you bring them to a usable degree to have a valid reward for the creation of these machines. They don't appear out of nowhere and in no time, they take thousands of resources and hours of work.

11. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

My fists feel weak... I am only getting +2 damage in my unarmed. This makes me sad... I liked unarmed, because I could fight things decently without wasting my iron on swords. Also, punching things in the face. May I ask why it was weakened?

12. CyberVic

Unintended overnerf, sorry, will re-buff the min bonus damage when I get home.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

13. ezeiger92

You said they have a low economic value because there are lots of items and nobody that wants to buy them. If they are dropped too frequently, I will nerf the drops.

You aren't the average player.

"'Surviving' is misleading, so I should be able to abuse the unbalanced parts of this game." Or you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

If you want more things, you should actually fight mobs. If we decide farms are unbalanced, we will change the code. We aren't going to change it just for you.

14. PieSquared761

It is unbalanced, but you didn't balance it, you ruined it.
    It isn't just for me.
    What is wrong with there being cheap items? Cobble is very common because the game provides it in such a massive quantity, so of course it's cheap. Diamonds are expensive because they are rare. Mobs are infinite, so of course the items are cheap. Nothing wrong with having items being cheap, why must everything be rare and expensive? That isn't how the game is.

GingerSwan and TheTechGeek245 like this.
  15. PieSquared761

How about we compare mob farms to pumpkin/melon/sugarcane farms. Both are full auto and give tons of drops from afking. Both take quite a long time to make, and take a decent amount of redstone and time. Both are in the game with no intentions to remove them. Both farms are fun to make, and are rewarding. Both farms' drops are worth almost nothing because they're common and mostly useless past a certain degree. So why are mob farms at 20% effectiveness?

If you say the mob drops are worth a lot or SHOULD be worth a lot, they aren't and they shouldn't. Mob farms have been allowed on this server for months, maybe even a year, and no one's gotten rich off of the drops. They just collect in the chests. The richest players all have gotten their money from mining, not mob farms.

Also, why is afking such a massive concern? Many parts of this game are time based like the day/night cycle (which you can afk to wait for day in the first few days), the growth of crops (afk for food or die in hardcore), maturing of farm animals, and mob spawning. But for this one aspect of the game in particular, it isn't "playing the game?" If this is because it "isn't fun", then that's the player's problem. That's the player's decision. If they want to sit there instead of punching a mob, let them. Mob spawner users aren't forcing you to use mob spawners instead of punching mobs, and they aren't ruining the economy because no one buys them anyway.

No one was complaining about mob spawners before, why were they changed? If you guys played as much as the mob grinder users did, you'd know it's impossible to get rich off of the mob drops, so they weren't overpowered before either. Again, I'm not asking for them to go back to 100% efficiency, I'd be fine at 50% for fall traps and 50% for punch traps (The EXP from the punch traps more than compensates for the item drops, compared to the fall traps). At least give us an incentive to make mob grinders, and give us a reward for the previously created ones, especially since there are very few (less than 10).

Sorry for the massive wall of text

16. ezeiger92

I do not support being afk for hours. Your kind of farm is most effective when you are afk for hours. Because, once again, you aren't playing the game.

What other player has a drop farm? Name one.

As for the wall of text
    • Good comparison, as you are basically turning Minecraft mobs into vegetables
    • Wither-bedrock glitch is still in, and there aren't plans to fix it
    • You have fun making farms, I (and many other players) don't
    • Drops that are not at all subject to change with all of the mcmmo/plugin plans we have[/sarcasm]
    - Mob drop worth -
    You complained about the disparity of falling item rate and the natural drop rate, and I am not changing falling drop rate. Only way to lessen the difference would be lowering the natural drop rate. Not changing falling drop rate.

- Sitting AFK -
    I would rather have no players on our server than have 7 that are all afk. New players seeing nobody online is better than seeing 7 people who all seem to be ignoring him/her. I'll plan to remove reasons to be afk, and add reasons to not be afk, it just so happens that starting with the first part is easier.

There is no way I am incentivising mob traps, I am purposefully doing the exact opposite. You fight mobs with a sword/bow/fist/axe/(whatever), you get more loot and experience. You make a farm where you can leave your computer all day? You don't get nearly as much loot.

Rem likes this.
  17. PieSquared761

Taldath had one. -2720. 850. Useless now.

There is no difference. Both sit there and die. Mobs don't do damage when you have armor.

18. Hakalu

Hakalu Member VIP

If I had the time or motivation to play I would, but I don't have that.

For the afk part...there (state the obvious) an offline mode so that people can not see you online.

-Pie-
    Which is better an admin flying around or someone afk waiting for crops to grow, maturing of farm animals, and mob spawning like you said.

Since flying around could be considered *not playing the game*
    Yes..afk and waiting for mobs to spawn is and is not playing the game.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  19. CyberVic

Ok so anyhow, I think that part of this conversation about spawners and such is over. The nerf we have in place seems acceptable to most including owners of spawners. I'd like to bring this thread back to a positive discussion about ideas around cool interesting plugins which makes ShadeCrest Survival to be more focused on McMMO, fantasy, survival like concepts. RPG like if you will, though I don't think we'll go as far as a class based system.... unless that's what the playerbase wants.

20. PieSquared761

Yes, let's talk about the random deletion of the adminshop. There was no discussion here, nor a reason given other than Kevin ran out of seashells.

Also how I can't say anything without getting kicked, even though I'm just stating my opinion.

You're doing stuff without the server knowing or approving of it, how is this good for the server?

Edit:
    --Removed on my own, 0% not fun, I'll just say the acceptable isn't 100% accurate--

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014