New new features from 1.8! Keep them?

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by ezeiger92, Oct 3, 2014.

?

Should we keep the new 1.8 changes despite them causing 1.7.* clients to have issues?

1. Yes, keep the changes for 1.8 clients

14 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No, 1.7.* clients should be able to play normally

7 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

This is a poll to accompany the changes in this thread. Feel free to respond and discuss the two options:
    1. Keep the 1.8 features that were just added, even though they can potentially crash 1.7.* clients. 1.8 has officially been released, most players are using it, and the more features we can add, the better we can retain those new players.
    2. Revert to the older set of changes. Mods have not yet updated to 1.8, and some members cannot play without them (ex, Optifine). Making the game crash for players who are not running the latest version is unacceptable.

Those are pretty much the two sides I expect to see ^^.

2. I_am_dropbear

I_am_dropbear Active Member

Although I want the changes, I think the minority should be prioritised, because it may become unplayable for them...

3. ezeiger92

This only becomes an issue when the old clients enter chunks with new blocks. We would avoid using them around spawns for the time being, and players are generally pretty spread out, both on vanilla and survival. I'll have to do more testing later to figure out the actual risk of crashing, as there are reports of the blocks harmlessly not rendering.

Also, thank you for actually posting concerns in here :)

4. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Yes! It will keep irritating yellow-name griefers from seeing my house and thinking "Hey, I'm new! He has good stuff, so I'm gonna take it!"

I_am_dropbear likes this.
  5. ezeiger92

Bump, last day for voting before we make a decision.

And if you care more than a vote, flipping post in the thread!

6. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

As much as I love my 1.7 client because of the mods, etc. I think if we want to continue to get and keep new members we have to at least appear to be 1.8 so people can make use of the new blocks etc.

Nifix did mention something about /regen crashing the server or something. Is that still a concern?

Are there really members of our current playerbase who CANNOT play without Optifine?

7. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

I'm one of those ppl who can't play without optifine

8. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

In agreement with what Skitt said, multiplayer melts my PC if I do not have optifine.

9. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

How did your testing go ezeiger as far as crashing 1.7 clients?

10. ezeiger92

Assume crash. Had to save a player by removing mutton from their inventory.