Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Thoddius, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

I found your group from the Space Engineers server. I may look into recording some Minecraft on your Survival or modded servers in the future. My main interest in this group is the Space Engineers server and its maintenance. Please have whoever is in charge of maintaining the SE server contact me. Thank you.

If you are interested in checking out my YouTube channel it is at https://www.youtube.com/user/Thoddius

2. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

Welcome to the community! You can message CyberVic on the forums if you need to contact him.

3. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

I pretty much update the server as soon as I see there is an update. Usually within minutes. Has it been updated again?

4. CyberVic

Oh yeah there was a mini patch on Friday. Sorry usually catch those.

5. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

Yes, yesterday. Thanks.
    I would still like to offer my services to you to help with maintenance. Also, are you considering adding mods, at least a nice Skybox?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Welcome! Subbed.

7. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

I need someone to come and ban abusers or I need admin ability to do so.
    People are abusing the respawn mechanic and ramming bases with respawn ships.

8. GingerSwan

Are you on the public server or private? Griefing is allowed on the public one. If you haven't already, apply for the private server.

9. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

I am on the public server. I have a group of friends playing and people are abusing the game and now calling us racial ephithets. They need to be banned.

10. GingerSwan

11. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

I found this group because of the public server. If we do not police it then no one will use it and it is a waste. I am a new member and I am offering to administrate the server so that we can have a good public image.

12. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

13. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

At this point everything we have worked on for the last week has been destroyed by a bunch of jerks abusing the respawn ship mechanic. This mechanic can be adjusted to prevent this and I am suggesting that it be done. As a new member I have greeted and assisted 20+ new Space Engineers players during this free weekend on Steam. I have made a faction and invited others to join me in building a base. I have referred others to Shade Crest so that they can join the community. If this type of rogue behavior is allowed on a public server, which is how people will find this group, then not only will those new players be turned off on the game but from our group due to our failure to administrate the public server. I implore you to allow me to take over local administration of the server so that our public "face" is not besmeared with the feces flung on it by these immature half-apes. I myself am angry that this has been allowed to transpire and I am only asking that we take some steps to avoid it in the future.
    With that said, I do not want to run to a private server before trying to make the public server better. I realize that once the free weekend is over many of the people causing havoc will disappear, but it will not prevent those that do own the game from ruining the experience for other new players.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Navarog likes this.
  14. GingerSwan

No, I'm GingerSwan with russian letters spelling it.

15. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

You might get me playing se on the public server since there was an explosion at my base on the private

16. CyberVic

Ultimately there has to be an ability to log changes, report griefing, and roll back changes before administrating a server becomes a reality. Even if I give 10 people admin rights on the public server, during weird hours of the night when no one else is online, the trolls will crawl out of the wood work and do their dirty work. Similarly they will grief the living hell out of the server and even if you are on, won't know it is happening until too late and nothing can be done to fix it right now.

That's why to protect the interest of the community, there has been a private server where only trusted members are given access.
    Unfortunately that's just how it is. I'd be happy to give you access as I have other good nurtured folks, but ultimately unless you have 100% coverage of staff who watch the server like a hawk, this stuff will happen.

I can change around the respawn ship, but then how to players start if they have nothing to build with? Nothing to refine with?

Maybe once they implement some kind of protection features, we can setup a starting area which has a refinery and a couple of spawned asteroids so players have to start with nothing, have to mine, refine, and start the game fresh. Less griefing will happen at that point.

GingerSwan and Slebert like this.
  17. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

I am not looking for a "perfect" system. Griefing will happen, and I understand that. However, we do have some options to minimize it. The first is having active Shade Crest members online with an ability to warn, kick, and ultimately ban users that are being abusive to other players or abusing the game mechanics/bugs. If people know that there are active admins that do monitor and keep the peace then others will be less likely to cause trouble. I had a lot of fun helping new players over the weekend and that encouraged some to buy the game and they desire to have a place to play. Most people don't want to worry about joining a community because they think it is a hassle, but will play on a server with an active community. Personally, I have about 10 people that I know that are interested in playing on a good server, which I would rate ours as being a good server. The casual player just want to know that they can report abusive players and that the admins will take appropriate action and even actively monitor the server. This is what I propose to do. If my friends decide that they want to also join Shade Crest then we could give them some admin powers as well. I know a few that I would recommend having some admin powers. As for weird hours, that is when I and my crew are usually on. We consist of Canadians, Australians, Brits, and several of us are from the US, so we have good coverage, though 100% really isn't needed as long as people know we will be on and that we care for their experience.
    There are some mods that allow for an indestructible spawn room to be made. That, in addition to a 30 minute timer on respawn ships should keep most griefers at bay. they won't want to wait 30 minutes for a new ship and they don't take the time to build a base. They won't be able to do much with just a jet pack so they will most likely leave. And if they don't we will hear about them and respond accordingly. We could certainly keep enough supplies at the spawn location for people to make a ship and we should be able to "cheat" in resources when it gets low. But again, griefers won't take the time to build a ship, they just want to ram bases and kill people.
    Once we get a few people playing and they have a base setup they should be able to defend themselves for a long enough time to run of most griefers. I had one in particular that once he found me and I defeated him he left. Others will do the same if they cannot get a ship immediately to continue to harass people. And that is really what they do, they aren't really griefing so much as harassing our players. Once they get killed a few times it isn't as much fun for them and they leave. For those that don't, we pull out the ban hammer.

You mentioned that it would be hard to know when someone is griefing if I am not watching. Because I welcomed all of the new players and answered their questioned and gave them advice, as soon as someone started causing trouble the let me know. I had had the ability to kick them right then we would not have lost as many players as we did. I want to people to enjoy the game and feel like we are a fairly safe place to play. Then if they decide to join Shade Crest we will be that much stronger as a community.

TLDR: Give me, and some of my team, the ability to maintain order and this server will be a vibrant community that stands out in the Space Engineers universe. I will even invite our viewers to join us in live streams and recording events which will promote Shade Crest even more.

18. TheTechGeek245

So um I may have Gone to the only beacon shining because I could not use a respawn ship. Then I made it through the already griefed base and made a little lair inside. While I disabled the guns and stole supplies which I would need later Since I did not have the materials from a respawn ship. I took off with the mining ship and basically every premade component they had and stole their drill ship only to make a nearby base. When Thoddius came on he noticed and instead of killing me he decided to make peace and I gave him back his ship but not the materials. (and we lived happily ever after THE END) ... Told you had get me on the public server

19. Thoddius

Thoddius New Member

More fun shall be had. I think your base got griefed. I saw a player by the name of Fluxcap, whom I had seen on another public server, and I warned him not to mess with people. He built a ship specifically to drill through other people's bases. He is now banned and shall bother us no more. He did the same thing to me on the other server and said he was "just looking around" at my base before coming to destroy it. thanks to CyberVic for giving me the ability to clean up some of the abusive riffraff. I really want this to be a fun place for people to play and hang out, so thanks for helping me work towards that. See you in space.

GingerSwan and StephenP67 like this.
  20. TheTechGeek245

Yay I has nothing I was going to turn the reactor off but I had to leave quickly