Mental Health Awareness

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Legend9468, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Every so often in life you come across wisdom that you want to spread to others of the next generation.

As you may have guessed, the wisdom of this thread is to do with mental health; and more importantly openness. More to the point if you think you have a problem tell someone. From memory, 50% of people will experience an issue with their mental health in their lifetime, but stigma surrounding it means that not 100% of them will seek help.

Take it from me, I have anxiety and it is a massive pain in the arse to live with. When I go out, there's a chance my body will basically stop responding from stress and I'll collapse and feel massively nauseous while down there. It means that I find is incredibly difficult to go out and have fun with friends. I'm on medication to help deal with it, but that doesn't help with the worst of it.

But anyways, back on point. I understand that you younger peoples will feel a heck of a lot of things over the next few years, but if stuff gets bad, then tell people. The more open you are, the more people can help when you're not ok.

2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Not worded as well as I'd like, but this is a personal issue for me, and if even one of you reads this and it helps, then it's worth it.

3. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

If you ever feel like you're the only one with problems you'll be surprised to find out what other people are going through once you start to talk. There's no such thing as normal.

Mega_Spud likes this.
  4. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Well I'm not get into my whole life but here's what I got, epilepsy don't need to take meds for the seizures cuzz I out grew those but stuff still bugs me cuzz of that, I also have a learning disability so I struggle with certain things and like you legend, I too have anxiety...it started like a month or so after my grandma died back in like 05 I believe maybe it was still 04...also most of ya know I had to put my dog down back at the end of June or July of this yr...since then ive had nuffin but depression...basically to the point where I'm thinking suicide thoughts but I don't act on it cuzz of a few reasons...im unemployed too...I do what I feel is okie to me and take it one day at a time

5. StephenP67

StephenP67 Well-Known Member VIP

*hugs*

Another thing that often sounds trite when people suggest it but can actually be more beneficial than meds in a lot of cases is exercise. Committing to a regular exercise routine can make a huge difference to anxiety and depression. I know when you're depressed and someone suggests it you just want to punch them in the face but don't discount it as a therapy.