A few suggestions.

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by epic_poke8, Dec 7, 2014.

?

Do you like these suggestions?

1. All of them!

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Most of them.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. One or two of them.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. None of them.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Nothing's perfect, and survival's no exception. Here I have a few suggestions that were discussed with a few other players. First, in red, the professional version. In blue, unprofessional. Let's get right to it.

Firstly, potion bombing. This was nerfed due to being mostly deemed overpowered amongst the community. It invovles a player spamming splash potions of harming to kill a player. Now that mcmmo has brewing, I believe players can make resistance potions to add defense to this. So I think that restoring harming potions to their full power and not punishing people for using them repeatedly would be alright.

Okay, so this is illegal for being OP according to most of the community. I think people are just upset because their OP diamond armor had a weakness. Ban diamonds then. Wait no, that's stupid. WHY WAS THIS DECISION MADE? Just make res potions, gapple it, get beacons, c'mon. So many ways to avoid this.

Next, oreshop. With 2x mining enabled, getting ores is much easier. I suggest (as does 86maxsmart) to make oreshop for buying ores, not selling. The only things to be sold there should be diamonds. This allows for a more flexible economy and should cause player run shops to run better, as now people can sell their loot there. In addition, people will go to different shops for different prices, and not just going to moose's.

"Price fixing does not work in real life, and neither in Minecraft", agreed. Let's give some freedom, eh?

PVP warping, /homes, et cetera. People should be able to set their /homes wherever they want outside of towns. Chest locks are cheaper, thus raiding is not as scary any more. Make it so players cannot /home, /warp, or /t spawn within forty seconds of either damaging a player, or being damaged by a player. This will keep people from pvp warping.

If someone sets a home close to a pvp town, the town's citizens get free kills, amirite? Plus, that means the town can raid THEM. Fair ground. And if someone's not attacking/being attacked for forty seconds, they are probably not fighting. If they're running that far from a bows range, then you'd probably never catch them anyways.

Salvage. It's been nerfed. If the said oreshop suggestion goes through, then it should be brought back as it should be.

Gold'll be less valuable, anyways.

TNT should be usable on stone/ores below y=18. This prevents grief, and brings boom in safer areas than pvp, so miners can keep mining.

OH YEAH, BOOMY MCBOOMBOOM! Please?

And that just about wraps things up. I may post other suggestions below.

Magetime, TheTechGeek245 and bkoch5 like this.
  2. NMBr2d2

NMBr2d2 Well-Known Member VIP

How can I act condescending while not making any sense...

3. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

For the love of god, I'm not reading the blue bits.
    Whuh? Harming was not nerfed, and we don't punish people for potion use. There was some change with invisibility, but that's it.

We aren't changing it to ores, that is annoying. There are plans to remove everything but selling gold. Why in the world would we sell diamonds if we are trying to make a flexible economy? You are making no sense.

Flipping NOPE. This is just wrong on so many levels. Warping right outside a town border or into a player's home to kill them is complete bull. We have a plugin that blocks warping, building, and breaking within a longer period of time than 40 seconds, and we still have problems with pvp warping. The cost for locking chests isn't the issue with warping close to towns, it's that, with no warning, some asshat can poof himself into existence and slaughter you with no effort on his part whatsoever.

You... It's... Salvage was disabled for ages. CyberVic enabled it. It hasn't been nerfed since being enabled. Just what?

Or use the mining world. Seriously, that's what it's here for. There is no good way to implement what you are suggesting.

bkoch5, SkittlesQueen and ndvenckus1 like this.
  4. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Here we go again...*rolls eyes* same stuff that was suggested oh lets see a good while back...least some of it

5. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Hey skits, Idk what they are freaking out about, but one of these ideas I, personally, think is a good one. I just edited a little bit of one so it can fit into the server better, but it will take WORK and EFFORT :D as does everything good does. Here are you're ideas I like w/ edits and additions. Also i'm glad we are trying to have this conversation. Just need more "constructive" criticism xD

The first idea of yours that I like the most has to be the OreShop one, but I do think that instead of selling diamonds it should be gold (makes sense that way, gold = money, diamond/iron = armor/other). My addition to your idea would be that to help the economy/keep more goods moving faster and easier for people to make shops of their own, we need to bring back the ALL MIGHTY mall of 2011. It was removed because it was "too much work" to look at some stores and remove the empty ones.. xD But the mall was one of my favorite parts of the server, and I'm pretty sure that when we had the mall you could only sell gold and it was call the Gold Kiosk? It was literally thebomb.com. Yes this requires a lot of work, but I'm planning on making such a build on creative soonish.

So new idea added: Mall (player ran w/ no selling diamonds/iron to admin shop only gold)

Actually that's all I can think of atm.. But we should be attempting to be constructive, because this is the server we are talking about and it always needs to be edited (just here and there).

Oh wait, I have another idea.. Skits didn't bring it up, but I have been talking to some of the creative staff about this. The issue is Server SEPARATION. This wall that has been built up between the two servers is bad!! xD We need both sides to start talking and have weekly, or monthly meetings, or at least use the staff forum (which I hear is rarely used). Use it for what? some might say, STAFF MEETINGS :D about server issues, example: improve economy, and increase player count.

Second issue that I think can be solved w/ the two staffs working together, would be a new spawn w/ new features. Yes the spawn we have now is very nice, but it's not user friendly :( Spawns need to be semi simple and walks shouldn't be a 3-4 minute adventure. Also we need a player ran mall that is FREE to use, not 500r a chest xD (per month, but still). Simplify things :D K.I.S.S Keep it simple sally/stupid xD
    Last issue would be the newbie spawn, that needs to be improved. The information needs to be there in game ready to use, no one wants to open a wiki and read through pages upon pages to figure out a rule, just after they went through pages upon pages to find us (well maybe some, but most want to play). Also the book thing, its nice, but its annoying to scroll through pages of the book, then re scroll for every question (information needs to be easily accessible, as in no links, no books, but signs. or holograms (plugin)) The quiz is supposed to keep out bad people, but if they want to come.. they will. The only true way to stop them is with a constant staff presence.. which is lacking.

Note: The creative staff are GREAT builders, I mean, literally amazeballz. So we need to use their creative abilities to help both servers. If survival flourishes creative flourishes..

I think that is all I have for now, but I hope to see more constructiveness soon..

6. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Lol I thought skits wrote this xD sorry epic!! Just replace the skits to epic xD my b

7. ezeiger92

... This thread. Jesus.
    Have you been to the current spawn? Like around the oreshop? It IS a place where players will be able to set up shops in spawn. And you are right, it take an enormous amount of time and effort to create, which is something I haven't had this semester of college. You know what else we brought back with the spawn? The marketplace. It's in the same situation.

Great idea, I'm glad staff had it months ago and haven't had the time to do anything about it. -_-
    Removing diamonds/iron from the oreshop without adding another way to get money screws over almost exclusively towns. That's why it hasn't been done to date.

... *facepalm*

Having a meeting on the forums is the worst idea on the planet. You don't understand how astronomically slow it is to get everyone on the same page. And yes, the servers might be more distant than we want, but that is because they were previously separate servers. Turns out, that didn't used to be an issue, and I have a funny feeling that it isn't much of the problem right now. As for just using the staff boards, we do use them. There's a new post at at least every other day. That might seem infrequent, but most of the time it is a post with content relevant to the server, written with an understanding of where we are at and what limitations we currently have. Yes, that last sentence was me making a jab at this thread.

We tried to have our staff work together to make a new hub. It has been months since I knew what was going on with that project. The more people that get involved, the harder it is to make time to work together.
    cerburus and I made the spawn reasonable to walk about, but we expected players would just use the warps set around the island. There is nothing important in spawn that takes more than 20 seconds to reach from a warp. All that aside, you haven't posted why you think the spawn isn't user friendly. If there is a problem, it can be fixed.

All of my what?! Above, you proposed the player mall like it was a novel idea we weren't doing, and now you reference our implementation?
    There is a cost set so the entire process can be automated. If there was no cost, what would remove a stone shop that never sold anything? The player? They might forget it even exists. Managing that is a nightmare, so we made a monthly cost. That way, it is immediately clear what chests you own in the mall, and it is not in your best interest to keep a shop that doesn't sell.

... You toss out holograms like a magical plugin that can display more information than signs. It can't. They take up more space, are visible though walls, and rely on bugs that were fixed in 1.8 (meaning that are completely broken). But this is another thing that I've already been working on, replacing the quiz with an interactive tutorial. Again, it takes a lot of time that I currently don't have. And the purpose of the quiz? It isn't blocking out griefers and hackers. If we wanted to do that, we would make you register and apply on the forums before you can join. The purpose is allowing staff to assume players know our rules. That way, none of this "I didn't know about that rule" bull can be taken seriously. If there was a way to put all of the vital information contained in our wiki on signs, we haven't found it. There is just too much that needs to be said.
    And out of nowhere, sure, let's complement creative. We requested they make some awesome guild halls (outside of the fishing guild) for survival's spawn, and we haven't had time to put them in. We do use their abilities when it is applicable and possible.

I really wish this entire thread was more constructive. 80% of the suggestions are things that have ALREADY been done. The rest have been on the chopping block since my college started back up. I'm all for changes that benefit the server, but it seems both you and epic missed the "change" bit. I'm being a bit of an ass in here because I am just blown away at the amount of misinformation that must exist to allow half of these suggestions to be made.

I have a block of finals from 9am to 6pm today, and after that I might post a list of things we already have planned for the server so we can add new ideas. That doesn't work if the suggestions are things we at already doing! I really don't know what else to say, this thread serves no purpose.

Dynodamon likes this.
  8. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

I like all of em except PVP Warping and OreShop changes

bkoch5 likes this.
  9. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Omg, I'm done getting crap for these ideas I throw out there.. For gods sake! Some people are trying to make an effort here.. And YES some of these have been done before, such as the player ran FREE mall, tons of people used that back in 2011, no one uses the 500r a month chests..

No wonder no one likes to post these things.

To clear up some of your interpretations of my simple suggestions here I go..

Holograms: Why did you elaborate over holograms? It's a small idea that could display a question of something simple like that. I would prefer the use of signs... (newplayer spawn)

Spawn: Walking/typing commands to get around spawn isn't really simple. Everything needs to be in eyesight/walking distance. But warps are always needed.

And yes next time use that constructiveness to be constructive.. not a massive post bashing ideas...

I'm done, no more suggestions, sorry for trying to help.. god...

bobbylou4 likes this.
  10. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Just don't even acknowledge this. It will only cause further bashing.

11. bobbylou4

bobbylou4 Well-Known Member Creative Architect

These are suggestions not insults. These are literally just ideas and opinions. No need to be condescending really.

12. rhabdodon

rhabdodon New Member

You insult Mother Russia with your capitalist free markets.

GingerSwan likes this.
  13. SpaceCadetKevin

SpaceCadetKevin Well-Known Member VIP

14. ezeiger92

Old post from old thread, but still relevant:
    I shoot down ideas because I already have way too much on my plate, and it is not worth either of our time to beat around the bush when suggestions are not well thought out.

Speaking of, here is my plate. I have definitely forgot stuff.
    1. Update survival, vanilla, creative, and hub to spigot 1.8
    2. Spawn mall and marketplace automatic purchasing
    3. Implement mcmmo towny boosts
    4. Implement mcmmo region boosts
    5. Switch permission plugins on survival, creative, and hub from bpermissions to zpermissions
    6. Copy over guild halls from creative to survival spawn
    7. Find and balance a sort of jobs plugin
    8. Fix nether portal linking
    9. Add player command to register their shop to /shop list
    10. Add a marketplace plot removal system for those who don't pay rent
    11. Implement the spawn volcano dungeon
    12. Clean up the new spawn region around pve
    13. Set up a teleport-to-spawn-border mechanic to pve
    14. Make a guest tutorial (replaces the guest quiz)
    15. Add way for players to buy warps without admin help
    16. Add way for players to move spawners without admin help
    17. Add some form of town chat back to the server
    18. Add automatic way to populate glass cage chests
    19. Set up proper chat and permissions on the hub
    20. Switch iConomy to an updated economy plugin (CraftConomy3?)
    21. Redo word filtering to match our new chat rules

CyberVic and Mega_Spud like this.
  15. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Could we make sure to consolidate that list with the to-do list spreadsheet.

We need to coordinate on what stuff I can script vs what you're scripting and let me know the % complete like the new tutorial.

Thanks ezeiger92!

On the topic of malls and pricing. Once we actually finish implementing the new mall / spawn plot system, I will be adjusting all the pricing. I want to setup the pricing based on supply and demand. Meaning I want it low enough that all stalls / plots are full, then if then once it is full and continued demand comes in, we raise prices and those who are unwilling to pay will be replaced with those who are willing. Property management 101.

Also... there is a player run mall. It's called /warp bazaar

Mega_Spud likes this.
  16. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Just so you guys know I offer these suggestions because I truly love this server and I want to offer my opinions of what I think would be good for it. Joined in 2011, and I want those golden days back. 70+people. And some of those ideas I posted were from that era.

It takes work and composure to make things right, not attitude. And sorry for flipping out in my above post, I was just astonished..

StephenP67 likes this.
  17. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Can't have what was in the past...sometimes things happen and stuff changes...when I joined there was less than 70 ppl...and yes ya ideas are good but ya gotta think of the future and what will help down the road

Dynodamon likes this.
  18. bkoch5

bkoch5 Active Member VIP

Of course we look forward., but always have to remember what we did to get us here and what we did wrong or ignored to do. Some of the ideas of mine that we used in the past should be edited to be more suitable for how minecraft is now. Like all of these suggestions it's not for sure going to be added. This is just a suggestion thread. And obviously something went wrong for us to go from 70 people to 10-20. Blaming won't help.

19. ezeiger92

bkoch5 Then we have the same goal for the server. I'm sorry for being sasrcastic ass, I keep assuming that other people think like I do. I like getting suggestions for the server because I'm not always on to see the issues survival faces. A prime example of this was when a new player started asking me why the /sethome cooldown was so long. I came to realize that having a 2 hour reset timer for homes screws over new players exclusively, and decided to cut it to 40 minutes.

I get irritated when suggestions come in that are not well thought out and are authoritive. I can deal with "I don't like this for reason ABC, but I don't know how to fix it" (blank suggestion) and ideas proposed similar to the format legend created (full suggestion). Just bringing back old ideas from 2011 is neither; it doesn't take into account where we are as a whole. We are in a different place now, and we can't just apply old patches hoping they will work.

As for the player count being far down, I think I know of a couple culprits.
    1. Map reset + EHM
    2. Not updating to 1.7.9 for bloody ages after it was released
    3. Lack of getting our name out there
    4. Quiz scaring off potential players
    The first 2 I can't help, we scared off our player base. It takes a long time to rebuild that, and the server changes as a result. I am shit at 3. The last one is part of what I'm working on, and once implemented, we will hopefully be retaining more new (quality) players.
    I hope to clear ~10 items off my list in a week, and that will help too.

I really don't know how to end this post, so here is a box []

Mega_Spud likes this.
  20. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

A LOT has happened between the time we were at 70 people to now.

bkoch5, maybe you missed this whole discussion: http://www.shadecrest.com/site/threads/6124/

And every other major discussion I've started about revitalizing the server.

Maybe you've missed all that we've done in the last year to try to recover the server from it's lowest low point to it's high point for the year, back down to where it's fallen since the start back up of the school year. Maybe you missed that for 8 months we had weekly updates with a lot of work and content which was basically second jobs for several of us to deliver all that content. A lot has been done to recover the server. I think you aren't properly acknowledging everything that HAS been done and the vision of what we plan to do to get numbers back up sometimes while also getting beat up by some players who like a "small" player count.

Yes a lot has been done. A lot still needs to be done. There's not a lot of staff to do the work. We go through waves of working our asses off and getting burnt out. I'm in one of those burn out periods right now after the HUGE amounts we did over the last year. On top of that I'm in a new role at work and don't have 40 hours a week to invest into Shadecrest. I barely have 10 hours right now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    N2Mining and GingerSwan like this.