Who is CyberVic?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CyberVic, Nov 2, 2011.

1. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

Figured I'd go ahead and make a post in the introduction section since I never made one previously.

Let's see... first a bit about me IRL... I'm 32. I'm a Sr. Software Engineer for the environmental division of a global information and insight company (I help billion dollar companies / governments make huge organizational decisions / comply with ever changing environmental regulations). I'm married, have two totally awesome cats, and enjoy fly fishing / fly tying. That's probably plenty for most, rest you could find by asking me in TS or visiting my blog.

Now about gaming, I've been "online" gaming since the BBS / 9600 baud days. Most people on the internet today don't even know what that means. I play mostly RPG's including of course WoW. I'm the guild leader of a 25-man raid guild and have been for going on 6 years now. Minecraft is a relaxing past time for me and my wife even enjoys watching / aiding in the creative aspects of the game. Many of the friends who play with me (Greenlab, xTrenanx, RayLaurence, etc...) are all friends from WoW who I've known for years. Well Ray is my brother actually but he used to play WoW too.

I've been playing Minecraft for a cumulative total of only a few months. I started playing about 6 months ago on another server with a friend, but we stopped playing when Firelands came out in WoW. We started playing again recently and found this server after a LONG bit of searching. We chose this server because we felt it had the right mix of plugins and it really seems to have it's act together. Overall the website I think was the #1 draw for me and all of it's features.

I'm kind of a reclusive player. Minecraft is my "low stress", relaxing game I can enjoy after a brain frying day @ work. I enjoy socializing with others in Teamspeak, but I'm more apt to keep to myself in game at the "HILYMI Mountain Complex", as I've dubbed our home, than I am to "join a town" as many people have tried to get me to do. I'm kind of a hoarder, but once I have enough resources I will probably be opening a shop and trying my hand at the iConomy aspects of the game. I enjoy helping people with projects though, so feel free to ask (in Teamspeak). When mining, I prefer the efficiency of a mining like this:
    [​IMG]

Well that's about that.

See ya'll around.

2. CyberVic

I'm mostly a Microsoft Developer... so C#, SQL, ASP.Net, WCF, Web Services, etc, etc.

I do also know MySQL really well, decent with Java, and know PHP enough to hack it but it's not one of my strongest skillsets.

3. Manglor

Manglor Active Member

Great to have you on the server, I hope you can find your way to Arcadia sometime, you may find like-minded individuals within our great town. I know you did not want to join one, but would you can still visit :)

Hope to see you in game :)

4. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

did you say.. SQL!!!! dude tutor me!!!!!
    Welcome by the way :D

5. ThisDudeRiteHere

ThisDudeRiteHere Member VIP

Welcome! It's always nice to have some intelligent, mature people on the server, and it seems like you fit that description ;D Have fun on the server, and cya there!

6. Dolmen

Dolmen New Member VIP

Cool, you posted a map of Mining World. :D

Welcome to Shade Crest.

7. Padaun

Padaun Well-Known Member VIP

I'll admit, you have probably the most intelligent intro the server has ever seen.
    Glad to have you on ShadeCrest, and none too soon! We are gaining a few too many weirdos every day, so good to see another intelligent mind here.

8. subwayis666

subwayis666 Member

welcome!

9. CyberVic

Hey Max,

I'm more of a developer, not a DB admin. I'm not too keen with table optimization and yada yada. I know how to design a database and design queries to be efficient. Maybe if you know particular queries or operations which are hitting SQL hard, maybe I can help optimize some of those queries to be more efficient maybe? Sometimes just re-writing a query can gain performance based on how SQL interprets the query (because SQL at the root level is suggestive). We can run SQL profiler maybe to see what issues you're having.

10. CyberVic

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_tryit.asp

W3Schools.com is your friend And I'd be happy to help you with questions you might have any time. Again I'm more of a developer who writes SQL and more recently I actually prefer to build ORM's like Entity Framework on top of SQL then use LINQ to Entities to query my database instead of writing SQL directly.

11. Psychoshield

Psychoshield New Member VIP

Im the linux guru :)

12. sharqman

sharqman Well-Known Member VIP

I love you!! no homo