Vanilla: Shall we try that again?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Keldt, Aug 1, 2014.

1. ToBeReverenced

ToBeReverenced New Member VIP

Woo this sounds fun. I certainly would attempt a new vanilla server. But it definitely has to have something new to differenciate from the survival. And chest/build protection is a must, if this is to last long enough.

Keldt likes this.
  2. Keldt

Keldt Member

Any ideas for the discussion topics listed in the "Update" section? This thread looks like it's trying to die on me >.<

ToBeReverenced likes this.
  3. ToBeReverenced

ToBeReverenced New Member VIP

Hm, maybe we could... Ummm..... Maayybbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... No idea, I'll let you smart guys decide off of those results. Obviously we need protected chests and houses. And snapshots will prevent that...

4. Keldt

Keldt Member

Those were the things we'd pretty much already decided..

I'd rather hear discussion about these kinds of topics now:

ToBeReverenced likes this.
  5. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

I'd like to throw out an idea guys.

What if we used the Survival server. Setup a world on the Survival server which inventory doesn't transfer to/from that world and mods you DON'T like about survival are disabled on that world. This would give you all the nice stuff from a server administrative perspective (modreq, prism, etc, etc, etc) but disabling all the stuff that takes away from the vanilla experience?

6. SkittlesQueen

SkittlesQueen Active Member VIP

Meh...nope

7. CyberVic

Why nope? From a server administration perspective it makes more sense for it to be the same "server" but just a different world with different rules and a separate inventory from the rest of survival? I mean it would be no different than having it be a different "Server" and then connected to Creative / Survival via bungie. In fact you wouldn't even notice the difference other than it would be less effort for the staff to administrate. So, what is the "meh" about? Do you like the staff to just have to do more work for essentially the same thing?

Dynodamon likes this.
  8. Slebert

Slebert Active Member VIP

guys, you are being told you can have what you want, and you are just saying no we don't want it... there will be no difference between doing what Cyber is suggesting and what you guys have been proposing. If you guys want this, then take it when its been given to you...

9. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

I like what Cyber is suggesting. It's a good idea. Removing VIP perks, McMMO, Towny, Shops, Currency, etc. Chest locks should be free in this world.

10. CyberVic

Look I'm not saying that's the way it has to be done. I was just offering the simplest way we could implement it. If we did it that way (I need to confirm with other staff on whether that's possible to be setup that way but I think it can be), then what we can do is have the regular survival staff able to answer Modreqs since it's just another world they will have permissions to. It would mean you'd share /o chat with general survival folks, but it would also mean more people would likely play on it since you can easily switch back and forth between survival and vanilla. Another advantage of this is simply less servers to maintain, we don't need to spin up another prism database and configure it, it would just be more protections in another world. Agian though would have to double check to see if it's possible to change the cost of chests in that world... it's just an idea right now would have to confirm everything.

I just would like you guys to come to some consensus on what you folks want. Just tell us what you want and we'll figure out the best way to get it to you.

To be clear are we still talking about:
    LWC for protection from stealing
    Prism for griefing detection
    ModReq for helping with reports of griefing/stealing while mods are offline

Is this what you want? Nothing more? How do you expect people to lock things? Also if you have LWC why would you need to put up mod reqs for people stealing? Also would you put a limit on the number of protections and individual could have? Shouldn't stealing be legal from any non locked chest, especially since locking chests is probably going to be free? What staff support do you want for this server? Do you expect admins to be policing it. Are there any admins interested in helping maintain the server and do prism rollbacks, bans, help with server maintenance, give me weekly updates on happenings on the server?

oiShocKWavesv likes this.
  11. TheTechGeek245

TheTechGeek245 Well-Known Member VIP

Sounds like a plan. Cyber's proposal is more likely to survive longer and be less tedious on the staff. Not to mention that staff are going to likely be online more often. Take it while you can cause this deal has Pros for both sides.

12. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

I agree with Tech. It would also save the task of recruiting staff again for another server.

13. SkittlesQueen

If it's separate from the survival aspect of the server fine, cuzz I like the survival aspect and all the perks that come with it.

14. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

SkittlesQueen ... Did you actually read Cyber's post?

15. CyberVic

Some more ideas after talking to Erik. I would encourage more people to discuss vanilla in teamspeak. A lot more progress can be made more quickly when discussing it (and taking notes) than just going back and forth for weeks on the forums.

So this vanilla world in survival would have it's own Nether and it's own End.
    You can only get to the Nether / End through the normal way and back you'd expect in Vanilla (no warps).

After talking about more complications about implementation of how to maintain where the player is when switching back and forth between this vanilla world and survival, then... unfortunately it really sounds like we are going to have to stick with it being another server with spigot/bungie. This means it would have it's own chat, it's own modreqs, and it's own prism, etc. But if it's connected with bungie then it's more likely survival staff will pop in every once and a while and handle modreqs. Similarly vanilla players can pop into survival to notify staff of need to check open requests or dire situations. Similarly the ability to type /vanilla and go into the vanilla world, play for a while, then go /survival poping back and forth is convenient and I think more people would play vanilla who are even used to the survival world.

One final note about LWC and stealing
    Stealing should be legal from non locked chests (similar to vanilla)
    Locking a chest would require items (example 4-5 diamonds)
    This would ensure that there still is a need to survive and acquire things to be able to secure your goods

Keldt likes this.
  16. Navarog

Navarog Well-Known Member

Once events on Creative are started and some other changes are made, I'll have time to check on Vanilla and do modreqs there, if any more help is needed.

Keldt likes this.
  17. SkittlesQueen

I was tired when I read it so I misunderstood it

18. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

Do we really want stealing to be allowed in any sense? We're not looking for vanilla to be a chaotic free-for-all; it's supposed to be a tight-knit community server without the distraction of game-altering plugins. For the type of environment we're looking to create, I think it makes the most sense for chest locks to be free and unlimited. I don't think there should be a worry about acquiring things to "secure your goods," since theft isn't something we want people to have to worry about.

19. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

ndvenckus1 Does rolling back item-remove actually return the items, or does it just copy them back into the chest? In my experience, it has always been the second latter. So would we have to go on a man-hunt to find the items? Would we perma-ban the thief so he can't use the items he stole (and still has copies of)?
    2 reasons stealing is allowed on survival:
    1. Take money out of the economy
    2. It is a pain in the ass to fix with our current plugins.

Also, what are you all going to do about creeper explosions? How easy would it be to lure a creeper into someone's home and detonate.
    But we can track lure events, we'll just ban the person
    They say they were exploring and tried to kill it. The lure event was at their house, and there are no other events that show them anywhere close to the explosion. They "had to do something irl" and forgot to disconnect.
    Repeat all of that for ghast fireballs in the nether.

20. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

In the past we had a zero-tolerance policy on the server and perma-banned anyone who didn't abide by our rules, and I think we should do the same this time around if we want to maintain a healthy community of players. LWC doesn't allow creeper or ghast explosions to destroy chests.