Change VIP icon?

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by BurningIce2, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

[testepic_poke8: t
    [lol]epic_poke8: t

swag|epic_poke8: t
    YOLO|epic_poke8: t
    #####epic_poke8: t
    ╯°Д°╯epic_poke8: t
    ︵ ┻━┻epic_poke8: t
    (*_*<epic_poke8: t
    !??!?epic_poke8: t

[epic_poke8 was banned from the server]

2. BurningIce2

BurningIce2 Active Member VIP

I meant it as a VIP perk, yes.

3. BurningIce2

BurningIce2 Active Member VIP

Maybe make it so people can only change it every 24 hours. People get banned for spamming anyway.

epic_poke8 likes this.
  4. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Besides, I would choose Epic. And I thought yolo and swag were censored? And a few of those have more than 4 characters!

5. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

Plz no nick. I hated it when I played on another server

THEdeadRETURNED likes this.
  6. ezeiger92

I swear to god nobody knows what the filter does. It filters the chat you type when you are in a herochat channel. You don't type a prefix with every message.

I read 5 characters.

7. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

I wrote "less than 5".
    And I was under the impression that a censor could be added to something like a tag, but I guess not, sorry.

8. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Well, if it has to be approved before it goes live, then there really already is a censor in the form of whomever approves it.

9. ezeiger92

Guys, just no. We don't have the tech to deal with this.

The implementation would either be:
    1. Making a new group for every prefix a player decides to use
    2. Using the vault metadata for name prefixes
    The former is obviously nonsense, but metadata does not work well either. There is no way to say "Use the group prefix IF the player prefix does not exist, otherwise use the player prefix". Every single VIP would have custom data for a prefix, even if they just kept the default value. That and the prefix would have to be removed if the player is promoted to staff or loses VIP rank.
    And all of that would have to be done by hand... NOPE.

10. Legend9468

Dokey okey.

Thanks again for this insight into the wonderful world of coding.

11. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

Wait, does zperms not support individual prefixes? I'm asking honestly as I only have real experience with pex which does support individual prefixes assigned thru a command or 1 line added to the players rank info

12. ezeiger92

There is no way you read my post.

Individual prefix highlighted in red.
    Setting prefixes highlighted in blue.

13. Legend9468

So then, in scientific terms, pretty much every VIP would have their own unique file for their prefix, even the ones who don't have a custom one, as there is no way to differentiate between the two if this is implemented.

And everytime that would need to be altered, either from pro/de motion, that would need to be done by hand by someone (aka, Eze, who seems to be one of the two main people who code in our community).

I suppose the tech part would be the numbers of people who actually work on the server, if we had a team of coders, and were pretty much a dedicated organisation, like larger servers, then it would be more feasible.

Ik I just repeated what you stated Ez, but I also know that sometimes "complex" coding concepts can be lost on members of SC.

ezeiger92 likes this.
  14. THEdeadRETURNED

OK, after some quick googling and searching zperms bukkit page, I found that it is 1 command to set and remove custom prefixes.... 1 command, for a feature that could be a selling point for VIP. Am I missing something here? I get that its a little added work, but its not much.

Also, what do you mean by "loses VIP"? Is VIP no longer a permanent thing?

15. ezeiger92

Legend9468 With just a prefix change, it would only be one command, but as you said it would have to happen for every vip, thanks for translating me legend :)

THEdeadRETURNED One command used at a minimum once on every single VIP player. Exactly what I said earlier. I don't understand what you aren't reading in my post.

There was a never-implemented change by imaxorz a long while back where VIP ranks were supposed to last only 1 year. The thread may have been lost when news/updates was wiped, but I'll keep looking for it.

16. THEdeadRETURNED

im still not getting why its a big deal for the handful of active VIPs we have erik, its a small fun feature. its as simple as setting up a google docs submission page similar to what sharq had for the vetran gifts, and going thru that list every week or so. we currently have NO reason to donate, so I'm pushing for this to be at least 1 feature we can offer.

EDIT: hell, if you dont want to do it, give me perms and I will. no work for you

17. ezeiger92

Chat clutter

Chat clutter x 10,000,000

Inconsistent distracting chat, unnecessary work by staff validating tags, no automatic implementation, confusion to new players "What does rank 'Blue' do?"

Now you are requiring a new hook into BuyCraft that produces MORE manual work for staff that can't be automated at any point.

That was a demonstration of the possible tag BS we could end up with, not a demonstration of one person spamming tags.

For the last time, dead, no.

18. THEdeadRETURNED

fine, fucking have it your way erik. I dont even know why I bother...

EDIT: ACTUALLY, I would like to see someone with the actual authority to make these changes comment before giving up CyberVic ndvenckus1 what do you guys think?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  19. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

I don't like nick

20. THEdeadRETURNED

yes, we know. nicknames were never an option.