Change VIP icon?

Discussion in 'Survival Server Suggestions' started by BurningIce2, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ezeiger92

ezeiger92 Well-Known Member Lead Admin Survival Admin

Classy.

Also, you mean this ndv, correct?
    You don't get to try strong-arming someone because you didn't get what you wanted, especially when that someone is an admin. I told you all the reasons this implementation would not work, and your solution was "Oh, but I'LL do it!" What you don't understand is that there are plenty of features we can give VIP's that just work, and I'd even be happy to do all the code they need (hats, particle effects, special death messages, whatever)

Here's the deal: I'm an introverted person. I don't deal well with large groups of people, speaking in public, or putting words to post for others to read; they all exhaust me. I spend my energy to act like an extrovert at college, where I'm working with an eleven man team to make an awesome game. Any spare time I get ends up going to ShadeCrest, and because I get tired dealing with people, my work is usually solitary coding for features that need to be completed. Example: the guest tutorial is currently functional, and I've had one player go through it already. I've been tweaking it in the background for a few weeks now when I get the time. When it is completely finished (hopefully this week), I can direct my attention at making VIP perks. But in the mean time, we have a milestone presentation to prepare for, as well as any last minute game features and homework from other classes.

You think you can handle updating a spreadsheet and running a few commands, whatever, it's easy. But what happens when we suddenly get loads of tag change requests? What if the staff tire of handling the requests as we tired of dealing with new player applications? How about if my ideal changes go into mob farms and you rage quit the server, do we just cut the feature? You are sitting in the corner yelling "I want it now!" and not thinking about the future. You are trying to get us to put effort into a temporary patch when we have the capabilities to make permanent solutions that are not dependent on particular staff remaining on the server. We need permanent solutions so the staff can focus on real issues (getting more players, reviving creative, replacing outdated plugins to allow name changes, etc)

If you have a problem with that, you are free to leave.

2. Legend9468

Legend9468 Well-Known Member VIP

Again, to summarise, Ez spends a heck of a lot of time coding automated programs for the server, which they do in their free time. Their goal is, in essence, a server in which the staff are not relied upon to interact with any of the basic functions of the server, and are only needed to deal with problems and/or special things (events, player disputes, etc).

Now, the problem presented with manual programs, is the manual part. While dealing with these things is fine now, much like builder promotions on creative, they quickly become a chore (although, I daresay there won't be quite as much). It is also prone to overload, as Ez stated, too many requests in too short a time, all of which can be handled in an automated system, but less so in a manual one.This goes against Ez's ideal situation, and will inevitably increase the amount they have to do.

Addenum:
    While a spreadsheet of file names seems great now, unless there's a way to implement cleanup, the buildup over time would be horrendous. If we ever got massively popular (It is still possible), then this system would be unwieldy, to say the least.

3. Legend9468

Also, as another contrib to this thread in general.

As a particle effect, is there a way to have the xp orbs orbiting a player? Ik they kinda do that sometimes (can't remember why), but I always enjoyed the effect, and they would look kinda neat.

4. Rem

Rem Active Member VIP

But Erik I want more free stuff

5. CyberVic

CyberVic Well-Known Member VIP

The problem here none of your are talking about is that Max requires anything VIP related to be automated.

It is a requirement of the server owner that for monetary tracking purposes that it all comes in and is managed through buycraft. Custom titles other than VIP 1-5 is something Max has indicated he wants to implement. For example, you pay a certain amount of money to change your title to a custom title or custom colors and each change costs money. He has not done so. He has specific things cosmetic things he wants to roll out that he feels is acceptable under the EULA. This is a very sensitive subject that regardless of what the players want or what the staff wants, at the end of the day buck stops with Max. Furthermore, Max would ideally like I said before prefer any solution around VIP not be something manually managed.

I'd suggest that anyone passionate about wanting to throw money at Max, please reach out to him and tell him that you're ready to throw dollars at him (and for what) and I'm sure he'll get re-motivated to implementing some of this stuff through buycraft.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Mega_Spud likes this.
  6. BurningIce2

BurningIce2 Active Member VIP

I am ready to pay a few dollars for a cool tag or particle effect or hat or whatever.

7. epic_poke8

epic_poke8 Active Member VIP

Would hats/particles also require multiple payments? It's not that I won't donate, just that I can't.

8. THEdeadRETURNED

THEdeadRETURNED Active Member VIP

From the looks of things, those will be normal VIP features epic

9. ezeiger92

Finally, didn't find thread, but found proof of it. Apparently it was in use for a while.

10. ezeiger92

Fun fact: I got bored. When I get bored, weird sh*t happens. When weird sh*t happens, /prefix ends up working on the server.

Fun facts about /prefix:
    • Limited trial run (1 week?), VIP3-VIP5.
    • '&' to color text, tag must end with ']' or '|'.
    • Replaces VIP tag, /prefix #clear reverts it.
    • Will not change name color.
    • Should work in all channels.
    • Must be <= 10 characters, excluding any coloring.
    • Restrictions are likely in the future, but are currently minimal.

So yea, have at it?
    Abuse of this command will result in you losing access to it, obviously. Don't be a tool.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Mega_Spud likes this.
  11. Mega_Spud

Mega_Spud Active Member VIP

Fantastic! :D

12. GingerSwan

GingerSwan Active Member VIP

Oh hell yes!

13. ezeiger92

Clearly oiShocKWavesv must have missed this part, let me try again.

Abuse of this command will result in you losing access to it, obviously. Don't be a tool.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Mega_Spud likes this.
  14. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Define abuse

N2Mining and Sophiiiiiiier like this.
  15. Legend9468

I can guess at what Eze is talking about.

But to clear it up, there is no filter on what it can be at the moment. So nothing that can be offensive, or already is, or is inappropriate.

ezeiger92 likes this.
  16. ezeiger92

This too, but shock used &k in his prefix. I wasn't having any of that nonsense.

17. Legend9468

oh, dokey okey then. No idea what &k is, but I'll assume it's annoying.

(No need to explain either, that'll just prompt others to "investigate" it themselves.)

18. ndvenckus1

ndvenckus1 Well-Known Member VIP

This thread alone will prompt people to investigate it, and anyone who's familiar with color codes already knows about it. It continuously changes all the effected characters and is incredibly annoying.

While I agree that this is worth trying out, if we already have people abusing it, I can't see this going over well.

19. oiShocKWavesv

oiShocKWavesv Well-Known Member VIP

Literally all I did was set the prefix to &k to see if it actually worked (it did) then said "wow erik might want to remove this" or something then got kicked. Such aboos
    I'd also like to mention Pieman_Is_God's name was just the &k for a looooong time and no one had an issue with it :)
    Also, dont let me stop you guys from having fun, I only came on to check out /prefix I basically dont play anymore

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  20. Mega_Spud

Mega_Spud Active Member VIP

Shock, I think the fact that your first choice of prefix was inappropriate probably led to the zero tolerance of the obfuscated text you then used.

Thanks for your comment though, it is a fun perk as you say. Hopefully it won't get spoiled.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015